tone_al

Amp for Grado headphones

Deciding between two amps Burson Audio Soloist vs Schiit Asgrad for a pair of Grado gh1 or would the amp from the marantz cd6006 player be any good 

Cheers 

I cannot speak for either of those amps but I own the Little Dot 1+ and it's fantastic with Grados especially when you change the opamp and tubes for something better.

Mine runs Mullard tubes with the Texas Instruments OPA2107 and I have no need or desire to upgrade this setup.  I use the PS500E or 325is on mine.

Many will say that you don't really need an amp with Grados and that's true to an extent but tubes pair well with them.

20180113_164450.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. If I go down down the tube route I might consider a schiit Valhalla 2 amp it may cost a bit more but it might be worth it. 

Cheers 

I use Grados exclusively these days, and I've tried both the Little Dot and Schiit (including further up the chain) as well as Woo 6/7. And boy am I glad I found local amp builder Eric Chan (McChanson on eBay). His 6EM7 headphone amp is trully marvelous. After two or three months to gather my thoughts I'm about to write up a short review. But suffice to say his amps are great value, very well designed - and sound extremely good.

Thanks looking him up

The Soloist is very good from reviews I've read. Haven't heard it though.

Posted (edited)

The Matrix m-stage is also very good. I used to run one with my ms-pro's. Grado's don't need a lot of power though. 

This is also very good

bottlehead.com/product/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

Edited by blakey72

There's a Graham Slee ultra linear diamond on the classifieds, these are also great with Grados, made for them.

I found that the Grado PS500 sounded significantly better with my Chord Hugo than directly from my Ak240.