Yeah I saw that. Some electronics guru man said he doesn't think it's a good design, won't last. Who knows. Internet things.

I am leaning toward just getting a good AMP and eventually upgrade the DAC. Keep them separate.

I have done quite s bit of digging around in recent weeks for an amp or amp/dac for under $1k. Ebay had a special over the weekend where it was 10% off everything but that had finished. But keep an eye on that again. 

From what i saw maybe also look at:

cayin iha6 if you want something quite uncoloured if you have balanced headphones cables (for impedance matching):

lyr3 amp only for $799 at addicted to audio. I got some good feedback on hf on the lyr3 thread re what that can offer over the last few days (if that might help);

deckard that we already mentioned. 

Yeah unsure on the Lyr 3. The internet has a thing for Schiit. Kind of like Apple. Branding and marketing.

Kind of the opposite of Apple. The products aren't perfect, but they are at a lower price point than their competitors.

But they have the hype train behind them. Hard to know what is actually quality and what is average but the best thing the masses have bought to upgrade from thier MacBook.

i understand that there seems to be a lot of schiit hype

if you can get to A2A i;m sure there is one to demo

and i think from memory there is a fair (as in not too high) restocking fee if you return it to schiit if you must by it direct. put that together with paypal paying up to $50 for return postage if needed, it's perhaps viable IF you think it may be of interest

not saying it should be, just IF it is

Chord Mojo will tick most boxes. Or Cavalli Liquid Carbon. 

How do they squeeze a DAC and AMP in that thing that actually compared to full size gear? I know it's good, but doesn't compare to full size kit?

Yeah saw that.

Much difference between normal and Multibit DAC? Brand new with MB DAC is $850 delivered from Schiit too.

@Bengineer does your question relate to the Mojo?

Depends on your gear - I have Fostex dynamics, Grado dynamics, MrSpeaker planar and Abyss planar.

Abyss are very power hungry - to sound their best I drive mine from speaker taps off PS Audio BHK 250. So not fair on Mojo on that account.

All others sound great off the Mojo. Do not need "full size gear"...

Yeah it was.

I guess it doesn't make sense that a company can squeeze the performance into a tiny package, with battery, for that price. And it is a better option than a lot of other gear that doesn't have the size limitation/battery cost etc.

21 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah saw that.

Much difference between normal and Multibit DAC? Brand new with MB DAC is $850 delivered from Schiit too.

I don't have any experience with the multibit DACs. I did order an upgrade, but cancelled it, as A2A has no ETA on stock.

It's worth noting that the multibit module is single, versus the dual delta-sigma module (they couldn't fit 2 in)

Posted (edited)

I have some experience with Schiit's multibit DACs. The multibit module for the Jot and the Lyr3 is apparently very close to the Modi Multibit. The Gumby was pretty good when I had it but I found I preferred the AKM chip of my Geiseler GroB Dac. I like the implementation.

Also, the audio store in Camp Hill has started selling the Chord Qutest. I think I'll pay a visit soon to listen!

Edited by Suopermanni

Posted (edited)

The Grob is over twice the price though isn't it?

Stand alone the Modi Multibit is 249 USD?

When you upgrade to the Chord I'll buy your old stuff :P

Edited by Bengineer

Actually, the GroB is in the same price bracket as the Gumby USB 5. The Konverter on the other hand is around $4000.

Ifi is excellent

My headphone amplifier Now summer time, $ 128 QSC. A better amplifier is very hard to find whatever you pay.
  It was an orchestra that bought new and it turned out that the new was not as good, but it may not be that they have to swallow.
DSCF7110.thumb.JPG.68acf60effd71556137455150ee72056.JPG1215927250_Crown1400.thumb.JPG.f00a571ed3a1d26c090e0f46a7c5b368.JPG

On 16/04/2018 at 9:48 PM, Bengineer said:

Currently running a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Closed off a JDS Labs Element DAC/Amp.

Wondering if there are any options in the sub $800 realm that are a good upgrade on the Element. I think its basically a beefed up O2 Dac/Amp.

Suggestions?

I am currently using the Auralic Gemini 2000 with the AEON (Closed) with extremely good results.

Initially I bought the HUGO 2 as an upgrade for the Auralic for my office rig, but surprisingly the Gemini 2000 actually beat out the Hugo 2 when paired with the AEON. So ended up selling the Hugo2.

Not sure if you can get it sub 800, I saw someone had the Gemini 1000 for sale around that price. You can consider that.

On 20/04/2018 at 9:09 AM, Ray H said:

@Bengineer I have an Oppo HA-1 in black that could be an option. Pm me if you would like more info.

Do you still have this available? I know it's been ages, but worth asking.

7 hours ago, BurritoJustice said:

Do you still have this available? I know it's been ages, but worth asking.

Hi BurritoJ,

No sorry it sold. Nice unit, worth checking out second hand.

hi Bengineer,

Are you interested in the Jotunheim? Im selling mine and i live in Brisbane too. Perfect condition in the silver and it doesn't come with the DAC option.

Thanks

Anthony