Bengineer

Headphone DAC / Amp under $800

Currently running a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Closed off a JDS Labs Element DAC/Amp.

Wondering if there are any options in the sub $800 realm that are a good upgrade on the Element. I think its basically a beefed up O2 Dac/Amp.

Suggestions?

Ifi iDSD Micro Black Label for both transportability and good DAC/Amp combo?

Mm. I don't need transportability. So I wonder if its much of an upgrade on the Element.

$800 ish. Don't mind second hand too.

If you don't mind 2 boxes, you have heaps of flexibility. Keep the Element and get a better dac, maybe DSD capable if that appeals to you, or maybe a ladder dac. Or you could use the Element's dac and get a headphone amp with balanced drive, and upgrade your cable.

Separate units are fine. But I don't know if the JDS is a worthy amp or dac to do that.

Looking at the Audeze Deckard at the moment.

Perhaps not, but if you keep it, you get to spend your whole budget to upgrade one component, and upgrade the other one later when you can afford another step :thumb:

Yeah, kind of don't want to be upgrading after this. Atleast not for a long time!

@Bengineer I actually forgot it can do that with the Element! You know, either use the DAC or amp section separately.  If you wanted to get a better DAC, you can try the Klein DAC made by @Gieseler Audio. As for amp...apparently the Jotunheim strikes above weight.

Leads to the question, what would provide the best upgrade. DAC stage or AMP.

First though would be AMP

The Aeons are pretty easy to drive though. I'm using the Gieseler Klein II and @Suopermanni's old Jotunheim to drive the Aeon Flow Open via a balanced cable. I think the upgrade from Modi 2 to Klein provided more than the amp upgrade from Magni 2 to Jotunheim balanced. I'm not familiar with the Element, though.

This might be worth considering:

www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/244866-lh-labs-geek-pulse-xfi-dac-and-headphone-amp/

I have a Marantz HD-DAC1 that I am very happy with. I think someone had one advertised on the forums in your price range. Worth checking out. Nice review on this site:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/marantz_hd_dac1.htm

I forgot to add I've also owned a JDS Element. I found it flat and lacking body compared to the sound of the Marantz - at the time driving AKG Q701s. I now also have a pair of Shure SRH1840 and Senn HD650 on hand that I think the Marantz drives well. 

Edited by Bikkitz

12 hours ago, Bikkitz said:

I have a Marantz HD-DAC1 that I am very happy with. I think someone had one advertised on the forums in your price range. Worth checking out. Nice review on this site:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/marantz_hd_dac1.htm

I forgot to add I've also owned a JDS Element. I found it flat and lacking body compared to the sound of the Marantz - at the time driving AKG Q701s. I now also have a pair of Shure SRH1840 and Senn HD650 on hand that I think the Marantz drives well. 

Yeah I saw that. I couldn't find the amp outputs online though. Any idea?

12 hours ago, LHH said:

I can highly recommend the RME Babyface Pro, if you can get a deal that brings it close to your budget. My thoughts here:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/125913-rme-babyface-pro/

Interesting! Will look into it.

5 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah I saw that. I couldn't find the amp outputs online though. Any idea?

Interesting! Will look into it.

Not sure what you mean by amp outputs. It has 3 gain settings for headphones, low, medium, high. The product info sheet says it provides 800mW / 32 ohm. I can confirm it happily drives Sennheiser HD650 with headroom / volume to spare.

It also has fixed and variable RCA outputs. So it can be connected directly to an integrated or power amp. I primarily use it in my main system connected an integrated driving bookshelf speakers (Marantz PM KI pearl lite and Monitor Audio Silver Series speakers).

Prior I had an Oppo 105 and can say I prefer the sound of the HD-DAC1. Headphone amp is used for late night listening, so I don't bother my other half.

Edited by Bikkitz

Yeah, meant to say power output. But you answered that.

Anyone's thoughts on the budget Schiit Multibit DAC?

4 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah, meant to say power output. But you answered that.

Anyone's thoughts on the budget Schiit Multibit DAC?

I don't have experience on the Mimby, but Schiit's Jotunheim recently got an update which included a multibit dac module that's essentially the mimby's chipset. Could be a fantastic pairing.

I just got my hands on an Audio-GD R2R-11 dac/amp combo. I got it mainly for that r2r dac feature to feed my tube amp and I must say, it definitely is a very musical, warm sounding yet revealing dac. You could check out Audio-GD's other R2R dac offerings or their delta sigma dac/amp combos on their website: http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm . Most of them seem competitively priced. Can't say much beyond that as I haven't been able to try any others that were better than my model.

Only downside is that they have a very odd payment method and their English is......bad.

Cheers,

Edward

Well, no closer to choosing :(

Maybe $300 DAC and $500 Amp?

Or $800 in a combo.