Toothdoc

Anthem mrx 520 vs Cambridge cx200

Hey about to purchase either a brand new mrx 520 or demo Cambridge cx200 for av duties. 

Does anyone have any opinions about the two? 

I'd give the edge to the Anthem with ARC (anthem room correction)... particularly if you want HDR capability which the Cambridge doesn't support, yet AFAIK. If you don't need either then the Cambridge may have a more pleasing sound audio wise...

Keep in mind too both don't support Atmos, but the next model Anthem 720 does.

JSmith :ninja:

32 minutes ago, Toothdoc said:

Hey about to purchase either a brand new mrx 520 or demo Cambridge cx200 for av duties. 

Does anyone have any opinions about the two? 

presume you mean the cxr200 ?

its an absolute power house... we are talking a 1800w power consumption.... that is pretty serious for an AVR and cambridge is conservatively rated. sound quality wise as well expect it to be a stunner

anthem have a good rep as with its room eq, but compare the claimed consumption of the anthem and its a very paltry 365w

just in power stakes you are talking two ends of the spectrum here I'm thinking

Posted (edited)

Yes hdmi2.0 vs hdmi2.0a for HDR on the anthem and ARC . Other apples and oranges is the substantial all channels driven  output of the CXR200 Al posted while I type :cool:

POWER OUTPUT

200 watts RMS per channel, 6 ohms (two channels driven),270 watts RMS per channel, 4 ohms (two channels driven), 170 watts RMS per channel, 8 ohms (two channels driven), 120 watts RMS per channel, 8 ohms (all 7 channels driven)

Not to mention the 520 is a 5.1 avr and the 200 is 7.1 ; a lot of 7.1 bd;s out there.. Always the option of a sub with built in auto eq too.

Edited by cwt

Oh... I get it. Yeah I only focused on the price which are abiut the same. I guess I don't need anything too powerful 

I guess the Cambridge 120cxr would be more appropriate. All I wanna drive for movies is a set of spendors sp1 for the fronts, and grand haydn for the surrounds 

I guess atmos isn't that important to me... But arc seems good. 

Had anyone here listened to the Cxr 200 or120?  It blows apart just about any AVR out there for the ability to deliver power to speakers. It is strange that there has hardly been mentions on SNA about the CAs.

33 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Had anyone here listened to the Cxr 200 or120?  It blows apart just about any AVR out there for the ability to deliver power to speakers. It is strange that there has hardly been mentions on SNA about the CAs.

Also surprised the CXR200 doesn't get a mention here or hardly anywhere for that matter!

I started the upgrade path about 3.5 years ago and its taken me all this time to finally know that I've made the right choice in the CXR200 for a crossover component that can do decent 2ch as well as surround duties. Its not the latest in surround tech but if you don't need Atmos or the finest of video what it does it does very well.

As @:) al mentioned this thing is a beast, I'm still getting used to it and have some more fine tuning to do between my Rel subs and this unit but it seems to be getting better by the day. The sound is coming from everywhere and I'm hearing things I haven't heard before from some of my favourite surround Blu-ray concerts. My less than ideal 4.5m x 6m room is now a room full of sound and the front stage is simply a wall of sound coming at me which is what I have always been searching for.

I'll be adding another DAC for 2ch when I can as I'm sure thats the only thing I'm truly missing but that said the 2ch using the Cambridge DACs is getting better, not sure if its burn in or just my ears tuning to its sound but its certainly better than it was when I first connected it. I'm pretty sure the L+R DACs in this are the same as the 851n so its no slouch.

I have no doubt the main differences I am experiencing between this and my previous receivers is the power, when you turn it up you just get the sense that it wants to keep going and won't make your ears bleed at the same time.

That sounds awesome man. I'll definitely be checking out the baby brother of that Cambridge. Great to hear your experiences 

1 hour ago, Toothdoc said:

That sounds awesome man. I'll definitely be checking out the baby brother of that Cambridge. Great to hear your experiences 

good news is the baby doesnt skimp out on power stakes. still 1000W power consumption which if running 5.1-7.1 should be ok. that said your spendors and haydens are all nice speakers. i personally wouldnt skimp on the power :) especially if getting the big daddy version rather cheaply as a demo.

Oh really. Ok I don't mind the extra power... Especially if I get a sub sooner or later. I'll be checking out the 200 then. 

9 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Also surprised the CXR200 doesn't get a mention here or hardly anywhere for that matter!

I am still puzzled why there are so few reviews for such a beast! 

I have been discussing with Toothdoc on options for his setup. He will be using a tube amp for the fronts and using the AVR for the 4 amp rears. So, AVR power is not critical. @Toothdoc suggest you audition both the CA and Anthem with the same music. Let your ears be the judge...  More power or ARC are a bonus.

Yes that's true. I start work late tomorrow so I'll be testing them out in the shop and hopefully walking away with one. Oh yes that's true I will be using an external amp for the fronts 

Actually anyone who has tried out a lot of avr knows which brand has a mellower sound 

On 17/04/2018 at 12:17 PM, Toothdoc said:

Actually anyone who has tried out a lot of avr knows which brand has a mellower sound 

Not sure what you mean by a mellower sound?

Its ok.... Thanks for the reply. I bought the anthem 520. 

Posted (edited)

Well done, did you compare the two by any chance?

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped

Hey. No I didn't. Just went in and bought it. Pretty happy with it although there is a bit of a learning curve and when u adjust some settings the screen goes black. Basically it's just for movies and I use music through a different dac / amp through the front speakers