Luc

Opera in Melbourne Arts Centre. Best seats?

Coming down to Bleak City for La Traviata in May and was wondering which are some of the better seats at the  Melbourne Arts Centre.

Premium seats in the circle seem to be the ones as far as I can work out on the website.

Any and all advice appreciated as I only have a small window left to me to book in the next day or two max.

Cheers

It pretty much goes with the price. That said the stalls do tend to polarise. I prefer the circle. The slightly cheaper seats on the balcony are for me the best bang for buck, but the middle of the circle near the front are brilliant if you can afford it, but they are the ones that go to subscribers and super luvvies.

1 hour ago, Luc said:

Coming down to Bleak City for La Traviata in May and was wondering which are some of the better seats at the  Melbourne Arts Centre.

Premium seats in the circle seem to be the ones as far as I can work out on the website.

Any and all advice appreciated as I only have a small window left to me to book in the next day or two max.

Cheers

Get in touch and drop in for a listen, Luc.  :)

Unlike, Mr G, I don't like the Circle - too far away.

So my favourite seat for opera is dead centre, in the front row.  (2nd or 3rd row is acceptable.)

These are not the most expensive seats.

Andy

Posted (edited)

@Mr_Gimlet @andyr   Thanks Mr G & Andy. Now to make a decision. The premium seats available are near $300 a pop which I don't mind paying but I needed to hear from some experienced hands first.

Those front row seats Andy, do you crane your head a bit at all?

Just had a look at seats remaining and I can get stall seats in the middle in row N which is premium . The seats I looked at yesterday have gone.

Took your advice Andy and went for as close to front as I could find and thats row B off to one side a bit.

*Opera glasses, do you need them?

Edited by Luc

I’ve occassionally  had @andyr second seat -his pillow talk dumps the opera in favour of perving on rugby players- it’s not neck craning territory. I’ve found the freebie experience most affordable!

1 hour ago, Luc said:

Took your advice Andy and went for as close to front as I could find and thats row B off to one side a bit.

*Opera glasses, do you need them?

Excellent, Luc!  :thumb:

Opera glasses - you certainly don't need them in row B!

Andy

Well at least you will experience what the stalls is all about!

3 hours ago, Mr_Gimlet said:

Well at least you will experience what the stalls is all about!

You make it sound a bit worrisome but I couldn't get my head around the Circle as opposed to the premium stalls and also what's considered excellent seats according to the booking  diagram of seating and...there is precious little advice out on the net about what seats are good or bad.

Hence me asking here.

@djb  a nonsensical reply there. You may need to elaborate just for clarity.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Luc said:

You make it sound a bit worrisome

No, you'll be fine. Different people like different things about seating: people who like the stalls like the smell of the orchestra, the sound of the greasepaint. Circle people are probably more aloof, wanting to see the big picture. Some don't mind being on the sides, some really prefer the middle. The acoustics of the Arts Centre is excellent for opera, you will have a great time wherever you sit.

I think @djb was alluding to seats at the front of the stall being a bit angled, like when you sit in the front row at VMax and your eyes bleed. They aren't, people don't pay that money for uncomfortable seats.

Edited by Mr_Gimlet

On 17/04/2018 at 7:48 PM, Mr_Gimlet said:

No, you'll be fine. Different people like different things about seating: people who like the stalls like the smell of the orchestra, the sound of the greasepaint. Circle people are probably more aloof, wanting to see the big picture. Some don't mind being on the sides, some really prefer the middle. The acoustics of the Arts Centre is excellent for opera, you will have a great time wherever you sit.

I think @djb was alluding to seats at the front of the stall being a bit angled, like when you sit in the front row at VMax and your eyes bleed. They aren't, people don't pay that money for uncomfortable seats.

No, @djb actually said "I’ve found the freebie experience most affordable!".  Which is a chuckle!  "Laugh"

And he said (of the front-row seats) "it’s not neck craning territory".

Andy

Posted (edited)

The seats in the stalls are excellent 

get a CD of the opera high,ights will do <<< @Telecine can provide

listen to it while reading a synopsis and drinking much Durif.

all will be fine on the night 

ps a hip flask will assist the process on the night.

I have an empty one you may borrow 

Edited by djb
Had to be clear HE wasn’t getting my whisky

@LucWith all due respects and not wishing to appear a philistine i'd say best seats for Triviata and other Verdian spectacles are as far away as possible — I'd say northern NSW would be about right.

Edited by buddyev

4 hours ago, buddyev said:

@LucWith all due respects and not wishing to appear a philistine i'd say best seats for Triviata and other Verdian spectacles are as far away as possible — I'd say northern NSW would be about right.

You philistine? Pfft,Perish the thought.

Your a lovely fellow from the inner city and previously from further climes and I've learnt to expect differences of opinions and expectations when interacting with that particular combination.

I've seen some of your record collection and along with a few, erm, fortunate others have sat though some of the Indian noise  muzak you singularly enjoy so I do understand the inability to appreciate growns ups in costume singing in loud voices to each other for hours on end.

I'm expecting you to be at @djb 's elcheapo all you can eat um ha in Fitzroy somewhere on Sunday the 6th of May(at a time to be announced by Gandalf). Truly a bargain place and they take their value for dosh reputation seriously and have done away with the superfluous 'Y'&'C' that other joints still use.

*If he happens to forget that date, then just sling him a brace of coneys and we'll hit his place for his renowned bunny nosh up.

** Yes of course I'll bring the durif.

10 minutes ago, Luc said:

You philistine? Pfft,Perish the thought.

Of course I’ll be there. And I’ll bring something drinkable.

Far be it for me to look down my nose at such wonderful music - after all, some say he was the Andrew Lloyd Webber of his day. High praise indeed.

Edited by buddyev

30 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Of course I’ll be there. And I’ll bring something drinkable.

Far be it for me to look down my nose at such wonderful music - after all, some say he was the Andrew Lloyd Webber of his day. High praise indeed.

And they say that people born north of ta Watford Gap are mean spirited and curmudgeonly when in a good mood.

Aint true is it.

@buddyev  Mean't to say that we may be going back to G's place for a listen after yum stuff and as I'm a free soul for that weekend I could pick you up at your ashram and we'll get back as well so no need for car or restraint...

Lucius, you are going to love it ( but remember , it's the equivalent of a chick-flick) .

Unlike most operas, it is customary to actually cough loudly during VIOLETTAS' arias- it shows solidarity with her predicament, and health care choices.

Similarly, it is expected that the males in the audience sing loudly and tunelessly to the ' brindisi' movement, indeed, standing and dropping trousers is considered the highest compliment. 

Lozenges are often useful apré- performance.

Billy.

@Zen Mister  Well you should try to make your way into Gandalf's realm on the Sunday Billy and we can catch up and you can regale me with your previous visual acuity whilst watching said maiden exercise her lungs.

*PM me if domestic obligations leave a small window open on that weekend or the Monday

18 minutes ago, Zen Mister said:

Lozenges are often useful apré- performance.

Billy.

Where do you put those, Billy?

33 minutes ago, Luc said:

@buddyev  Mean't to say that we may be going back to G's place for a listen after yum stuff and as I'm a free soul for that weekend I could pick you up at your ashram and we'll get back as well so no need for car or restraint...

Did I tell you I have some B& W 805?

Love em.

1 minute ago, buddyev said:

Did I tell you I have some B& W 805?

Love em.

entendre...you know he'll be upset.

*I should at least have a listen to your Earle though shouldn't I.

I’m sure you can find half an hour somewhere in your busy royal schedule to have a listen. Unfortunately I don’t have any Verdi.

Edited by buddyev

15 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Where do you put those, Billy?

......on the seat with your packet of ' FANTAILS' and glass of over-priced vino of course!

Billy.

3 minutes ago, Zen Mister said:

@Luc, your PM box is not receiving. 

Billy.

Hmm, I'll look into it. The site isn't really working to well at the moment Billy.

If I can't clear it, then email me .

I'm ensconced in the listening chair reading Patrick O'Brian till late tonight and have the keyboard at hand.

Edit: I'm using 10% of messenger capacity at the moment Billy so it's all cleared it reckons and was.

Edited by Luc