Here is a thread to play all those cheesy easy listening spins without fear of lounge music shaming. Some examples to kick off with:

SDS All-Stars, ‎ Electone Fortissimo In Movie Themes. Festival Records ‎ SFL-930,942, Stereo Australia 1962.

Genre: Electronic, Jazz, Stage & Screen

Style: Space-Age, Easy Listening, Soundtrack

DSCN2500.JPG

Andy Bautista ‎ Andy Bautista Plays. Parlophone ‎SPMEO 9903, Stereo Australia 1972.

Genre: Electronic

Style: Abstract

Andy is sporting the perfect example of a 1970s lounge jacket!

DSCN2498.JPG

1 hour ago, jazzdog@groovemasters said:

Here is a thread to play all those cheesy easy listening spins without fear of lounge music shaming. Some examples to kick off with:

SDS All-Stars, ‎ Electone Fortissimo In Movie Themes. Festival Records ‎ SFL-930,942, Stereo Australia 1962.

Genre: Electronic, Jazz, Stage & Screen

Style: Space-Age, Easy Listening, Soundtrack

DSCN2500.JPG

Hey Man, I picked this up recently in one of my Op Shop hunts.  I bought it for the boast of 'Super Dynamic Sound', and that's exactly what it delivers.  I paid no more than $2 for it, in very good condition, and I do enjoy it.  Will have to go and give it a wash and a spin, thanks.

SDS Allstars 'Electone Fortissimo in Movie Themes' King Records, Japan - Festival Records Aus.

5ad47f87008ef_SDSAllstarsElectoneFortissimoinMovieThemesKingRecordsJapan-FestivalRecordsAus..jpg.8dd0a156c2d258dd88b7f2d55bc226fd.jpg

Hi Buzzfuzz,

I bought my first copy from an op shop too, but for the cover art, the disc was a stylus ripper if ever there was, i just love the vacuum tubes on the front cover. Then I got a playable copy earlier this year, so $2.00 down in total. The liner notes are a scream, too. The SQ & atmospherics is a bit reminiscent of early Karlheinz Stockhausen, the ecletone organs sounds weirdly primitive but very appealing (in small doses).

I didn't know what the genre lounge music was until a few years ago, but instantly recognised it...... i think of department store music; David Jones in Sydney in the 1960s & 70s.....

Stanley Black And His Orchestra,  Dancing In The Dark. Decca, ‎LKA 4107 Australia C.1955.

Genre: Jazz, Latin, Stage & Screen

Style: Big Band

DSCN2499.JPG

Hey @jazzdog@groovemasters;  Just had a wash and played side one.  Not normally my cup o' tea, especially Organ music, but as you wrote, good in small doses.  I love your description above, and it certainly rings true for me, Department Store Music, or Elevator Music which I've heard used before.  I found the liner notes very interesting, things I never think about with the recording process; the point about using the studio technology instead of trying to replicate the concert hall, or live sound, really hit home for me.  A pivotal point in music production, and something The Beatles surely utilised.

I don't have too many in this category, but will post what I can.  I've scoured the Op Shops within 20km, not much left there, but always on the look out for a bargain.

Cheers man.  Anthony.

Hi Anthony,

Yes, the Beatles certainly upped the ante in the studio after they gave up touring, with the St Pepper's & Magical Mystery Tour albums. These two albums were clearly influenced by the french musique concrète movement, as was Stockhausen. 

Look out for King Music super dynamic sound series , have a look at other SDS All-Stars albums & groups like the Tokyo Cuban Boys, It s all tongue in cheek, for me, esp. as  have been grading out a crate of 1980 EPs most of them are from 1986 for some bizarre reason, so i need some light music /other distraction to stop from going mad.... 

Edited by jazzdog@groovemasters

If anyone is interested, here are the cover notes...

5ad48eb4e5fad_SDSAllstarsElectoneFortissimoinMovieThemesKingRecordsJapan-FestivalRecordsAus_Back.JPG.ce503bdce0441b5070caf61ea7a0b433.JPG

I like lounge music and have quite a few albums of that genre. Here's a lounge version of a song you'll be familiar with by lounge duo Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme. :)

14 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I like lounge music and have quite a few albums of that genre. Here's a lounge version of a song you'll be familiar with by lounge duo Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme. :)

Yes, that's really cool, i think Chris Cornell would have approved (RIP).

10 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Is there a sub-genre of Psychedelic Lounge?  What a great Video mate, a 'Trippy' one If I ever saw one.  Will have to check out more from them and download a few videos for my next excursion.

Absolute Classic Man.  Thanks very much.

Anthony.

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Is there a sub-genre of Psychedelic Lounge?  What a great Video mate, a 'Trippy' one If I ever saw one.  Will have to check out more from them and download a few videos for my next excursion.

Absolute Classic Man.  Thanks very much.

Anthony.

Yeah, more like this pls, it isn't all about 'daggy' spins...

Ports of Paradise PBS FM Fridays 9 - 11am, shows are archived

https://pbsfm.org.au/portsofparadise

< A midcentury melting pot of sophisticated sounds from the golden age of exotica ... including jungle jazz, tribal percussion, Latin rhythms, early Calypso, cocktail lounge, stereophonic showpieces, space-age symphonies, and tropical island swing. >

https://www.facebook.com/portsofparadise/

regards Ian

Barry White, ‎The Message Is Love. Unlimited Gold ‎ 25AP 1575 Malaysia 1979.

Yeah, strictly disco, but laid back enough, to qualify as lounge.

DSCN2506.JPG