popomg

Subwoofer Upgrade - Is this upgrade worth for my system?

My system is KEF LS50 + NAD D3020 for desktop computer.

Room 13x14.5x8 feet (4x4.5x2.5 m)

Subwoofer currently use JBL ES150P but considered SVS SB2000 or ELAC S12EQ.

In my country SB2000 (Only have Piano Gloss) has price tag 960$

S12EQ: 675$

I have budget around 1500$ (if need be) but want to use it wisely.

Does this upgrade make significant different? or should I consider other Subs?  or better to upgrade Amp DAC?

I love small to medium size integrate amp because conveniency to use on desk ( 160x80 cm).

Thank guys, any recommendations will be welcome.

When you say you use it with a desktop computer, is it mainly for music or is it games and movies?

Where are you in BKK krub?

Go in and see the guys at Piyanas. I have been to Fortune Mall and Sukhumvit stores. They have systems setup like yours with Rel subs in their stores. The SVS SB2000 is fantastic and you will definitely see a big improvement. Rel are great too. 

The LS50s do benefit from a better amp too but go in and have a listen. Maybe even consider LS50 actives?

4 hours ago, Ugly said:

When you say you use it with a desktop computer, is it mainly for music or is it games and movies?

Sorry, forgot to mention this

Music 60%

Movies 15%

Games  25%

4 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Where are you in BKK krub?

Go in and see the guys at Piyanas. I have been to Fortune Mall and Sukhumvit stores. They have systems setup like yours with Rel subs in their stores. The SVS SB2000 is fantastic and you will definitely see a big improvement. Rel are great too. 

The LS50s do benefit from a better amp too but go in and have a listen. Maybe even consider LS50 actives?

Thank you. I'll check that out. Do you know some other stores? I'd love to have more choices.

I'll admit I'm more interest in SB2000 than S12EQ due to

• SVS is trusted and old brand when it come to Subwoofer.
  • Have physical control (not much convenience but more reliable)
  • Smaller footprint (if want to add more in the future)
  • Seal Type (Don't have experience in any but I think I prefer more accurate and tight sound but worried a bit since Movie+Gaming 40% )

But in my country if go SVS I must paid 300$ more. (Amazon price in US both equal 700$)
And S12EQ have AutoEQ to adjust for listening position, since my Amp don't have any features.

Damn, tough choice.

Thank you. I'll check that out. Do you know some other stores? I'd love to have more choices.  

I'll admit I'm more interest in SB2000 than S12EQ due to

• SVS is trusted and old brand when it come to Subwoofer.
  • Have physical control (not much convenience but more reliable)
  • Smaller footprint (if want to add more in the future)
  • Seal Type (Don't have experience in any but I think I prefer more accurate and tight sound but worried a bit since Movie+Gaming 40% )
But in my country if go SVS I must paid 300$ more. (Amazon price in US both equal 700$) And S12EQ have AutoEQ to adjust for listening position, since my Amp don't have any features.

Damn, tough choice.

I run the LS50s on a desktop in room a little smaller than yours. For music I never use the sub. I do however use it for movies and games. 

I found the LS50s really benefit from better amplification. I'm currently using an ME550 II hicap and it really makes them sing. The problem is, for your stated budget, you'd need to buy both an amp and stand alone DAC which would mean second hand to get the gains youre after.

@popomg 
There are a heaps of stores in Fortune Mall. There is also some high end stores in Siam Paragon and Amarin Plaza. In Amarin there is a store that mostly sells bookshelf speakers so worth a look. I think the BAV high end show just finished but you should definitely go next year in Sukhumvit.

TS Audio make excellent valve amps and pretty cheap. I am sure you could take your speakers to their store and demo on their amps.

I personally think subs are a must with every system bookshelf or floorstander and SVS are fantastic and I have a SVS SB13 Ultra. Yep, the import taxes in Thailand are high so everything costs more there. Australia is the same.

17 hours ago, popomg said:

Sorry, forgot to mention this

Music 60%

Movies 15%

Games  25%

Your music will benefit a lot more with upgrading the DAC by itself. Are you using the computer to play music ?  If so, then using an external DAC, and with small footprint. will give a big improvement.

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2018 at 2:24 PM, Ugly said:

I run the LS50s on a desktop in room a little smaller than yours. For music I never use the sub. I do however use it for movies and games. 

I found the LS50s really benefit from better amplification. I'm currently using an ME550 II hicap and it really makes them sing. The problem is, for your stated budget, you'd need to buy both an amp and stand alone DAC which would mean second hand to get the gains youre after.

Thank you, I'll find time to audition LS50 with different amps in store. My budget can increase but I wish it won't :)

14 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

@popomg 
There are a heaps of stores in Fortune Mall. There is also some high end stores in Siam Paragon and Amarin Plaza. In Amarin there is a store that mostly sells bookshelf speakers so worth a look. I think the BAV high end show just finished but you should definitely go next year in Sukhumvit.

TS Audio make excellent valve amps and pretty cheap. I am sure you could take your speakers to their store and demo on their amps.

I personally think subs are a must with every system bookshelf or floorstander and SVS are fantastic and I have a SVS SB13 Ultra. Yep, the import taxes in Thailand are high so everything costs more there. Australia is the same.

Thank a lot for more info. Ya! in Thailand Audio equipment can cost arm & legs.

There is this store, name Futureworld. They sell some audio brands and the price not so much compared to Amazon.

13 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Your music will benefit a lot more with upgrading the DAC by itself. Are you using the computer to play music ?  If so, then using an external DAC, and with small footprint. will give a big improvement.

My integrate amp NAD D3020 also has DAC. I don't know how good it is but judge from the price .... not so much I guess.

Edited by popomg

11 hours ago, popomg said:

My integrate amp NAD D3020 also has DAC. I don't know how good it is but judge from the price .... not so much I guess.

The NAD D3020 is good value for money. I assume you have the V1 version and DACs have improved a lot. This is an example of some good value DACs you can buy. Suggest you bring the D3020 and compare it with some new DACs and let your ears decide whether it is a worthwhile upgrade.

I think you will get more value upgrading the DAC than the sub woofer.