Satori 2018

jkn

When I measure I would normally do at 0*, 15*, 30* and 45*.

I would normalise my response (and then apply eq[emoji41])

If you are considering maybe make the mids and Tweeter in the same box in a offset mtm set up with minimal spacing, it's not like the Tweeter needs a box anyway so it's essentially 'wasting space'

...... It does look very nice though

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2019 at 10:07 PM, Wozza_Lee said:

When I measure I would normally do at 0*, 15*, 30* and 45*.

I would normalise my response (and then apply eqemoji41.png)

I do kind of similar procedure as well 

On 24/08/2019 at 10:07 PM, Wozza_Lee said:

If you are considering maybe make the mids and Tweeter in the same box in a offset mtm set up with minimal spacing, it's not like the Tweeter needs a box anyway so it's essentially 'wasting space'

...... It does look very nice though

Not really at this stage I have single drivers running -(WMT ) + 18" in each corner and I can not fault the system it sounds pretty good so no changes are to be made to this speakers very happy with the outcome.

• Like 2

Just posting room response of Volt studio 18" 4564 taken from listening position.

6db boost 70l close box 

These are awesome drivers they have very similar texture to my PHL (speed,authority punch...)plus they are able to go very low 

v_18_21.jpg

Volt_in-rom.jpg

Edited by jkn
  • Like 1

Just posting room response of Volt studio 18" 4564 taken from listening position.
 6db boost 70l close box 
These are awesome drivers they have very similar texture to my PHL (speed,authority punch...)plus they are able to go very low 
v_18_21.jpg&key=5d37d2da5376dfd95784be47a59d957a4a4415967af431a77366fd56ab6f134e

Volt_in-rom.jpg&key=cbcaac44b23f3216f158c9631529784585fa348244a02f8480e3894cd672ae6f

Anyone who hasn't heard a properly used and integrated 15-18" sub is missing out on somthing special.

I have 4x 15" subs for my new home theatre (post coming soon) and considering going for 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/11/2019 at 5:44 AM, Emontequin said:

Hi, mi name is Enrique from Spain...read the whole post and I would like you to comment on your current impression and which configuration has finally been the best.

Hi Enrigue 

WMTW works well crossovers 90/250/1600

I have also made some progress towards my Apogee OB project at this stage I'm not sure about the shape of the front baffle yet  but will be using Apogee ribbon 6.5" mid/bass and 15" bass .

So far I have made just temporally baffle just to measure the ribbons

r6.jpg

tem_01a.jpg

tem_02.jpg

tem_03.jpg

tem_04.jpg

tem_05.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

On 20/01/2020 at 2:17 PM, davewantsmoore said:

So the ribbons don't operate low enough to dispense with a mid?

They are usable from +-600 up I believe there are some good  bass drivers which will make it 2 way speakers

And yes mid drivers is a option I will try several options before making final OB speaker set . PHL 6.5" mid/bass is also in OB and crossing at 250Hz >750Hz. 

I'm also thinking to place the mid/midrange next to the ribbon (centre) so the ribbon/mid are in ear height. 

r9.jpg

r10.jpg

Edited by jkn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, murrmax said:

How does the PHL 15" ported compare to your PHL18 sealed sonically ?  

18/15 are both sealed these ports on the pict. are blocked 

both drivers are very good the 15 can be cross higher then the 18

j

hey are usable from +-600

What makes you say this?

Is it just the frequency response? (roll off) .... Don't be fooled by that.   It is a dipole with the natural extra rolloff.   In theory, the rolloff is actually the area where you WANT to use the driver (where it has constant directivity, below the dipole peak).

However, what WILL limit where they can be used is excursion.   There is no point using them flat out down to 200Hz (for example) if that's going to cause too much distortion at your playback levels.

6 hours ago, jkn said:

I'm also thinking to place the mid/midrange next to the ribbon (centre) so the ribbon/mid are in ear height.  

Tough one to call.   I wouldn't.   

... but I'd also, use a larger "mid" driver.... and use a narrower baffle for the ribbon....  So I'd just be tellig you "do the whole thing different" .... so don't listen to me, LOL  ;) 

On 21/01/2020 at 11:15 AM, davewantsmoore said:

Tough one to call.   I wouldn't. 

Funny thing is that when I asked 10 people for potential OB baffle design/ideas, I did get 10 completely different opinions/designs so it is hard to follow/choose one. In regards my idea to lower the Ribbon to ear height, placing the mid/bass next to the ribbon in the centre was after seeing Apogee Centaurus slant 6 which has Mid/bass next to the ribbon > nevertheless I'm trying to do 3 way and Centaurus is 2 way, so anyway I will have to try it and see how it goes.

STILL wondering if it would be better to have 15"on axis with the 6.5"mid/bass or with the Ribbon (using Centaurus speaker arrangement) 

On 21/01/2020 at 11:15 AM, davewantsmoore said:

How do they sound?!  :)

I think it has great potential as they are already sounding pretty good in temporally baffle.

Edited by jkn

18/15 are both sealed these ports on the pict. are blocked 

both drivers are very good the 15 can be cross higher then the 18

how low does the 15 go sealed? are you boosting the low end to compensate or rolling off to sub?

On 27/01/2020 at 7:46 PM, murrmax said:

how low does the 15 go sealed? are you boosting the low end to compensate or rolling off to sub?

Hi Murrmax

I have always use the 15" PHL down  to  90Hz only   in 4 way where the volts takes over .

Nevertheless I have burned some resistors (my fault )on my DEQX4  so I"m sending my deqx to Sydney for repair.

However I'm thinking to try (over the weekend) 3 way only as I do have another 2 deqx3 which I would like to test anyway,

So back to your question I will set  couple of profiles one as 3 way >with 15" PHL sealed and also >one as 15" ported to see how it all performs I will post the measurements  if you interested  

J   

16 hours ago, murrmax said:

Does it sound good enough for you without the subs? ported and sealed?

Yes it does 

I'm currently listening to the ported option and it does sound very good.I believe this bass box was designed by Pat (war audio)  and he did really good job.

Note:

I could also re - position the speakers to reduce the suck out  - 30-50Hz that is If I was settling on 3 way only.

Anyway very good outcome I'll be working on final OB design using these drivers  

J

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/03/2020 at 12:27 AM, Emontequin said:

Hola jiri, en el proyecto Satori 2018. ¿Puedes decirme el volumen neto de las cabinas centrales MR16?

9 l for mid is correct (sealed)

35l = 45Hz in  sealed box

I made sealed enclosures because I was always going to use it in 4 way if I was targeting 3way only I would place the bass in ported design.

Again  you will get better result if you use:

1)MTW design

2)MT in one box only (sealed) don’t worry about the volume much 10-15l

3)Tweeter and mid as close as possible (1 box)

4) 3 way woofer in separate box -ported  (calculated the box height feet and so on so you end up with the tweeter at your ear height)

For design have a look at the internet  or ask some guys at DIY audio.com)

Basically you need box volume number and size of the port s