Satori 2018

jkn

5 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Nice matching of the grain. All looking superb.

How are you getting the corner radii to match - I don't expect there's a router bit of this size.

I'm using Freud 1 1/2 inch bit (30-140) 

http://www.freudtools.com/products/product/34-140

There are a couple issues when using this size router bit 

1) not many new routers at least those which are available in local stores will fit this size router bit so I had to make a template  

r_01.jpg

r_02.jpg

and still, not a perfect fit as the router is only sitting halfway in the housing/shank and also no too much space to tighten it up properly !! 

2) due to all the above and more, very dangerous to use but as you can see I did make it work ( several passes like 5-6) 

• Like 1

So finally finish the project I'm actually  happy as I tend to move to another before ending the previous one - all is left is measuring and setting it up but so far it is looking good posting some pictures 

rt_07.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f7.jpg

f9.jpg

f11.jpg

propose_finish_narow_bps_weight.jpg

propose_finish_narow_bps_height.jpg

Edited by jkn
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

Wow, your builds are always of amazing quality.

Look forward to seeing some measurements and what you think of the sound.

Thanks

I will do some settings tomorrow.  

J

Edited by jkn

49 minutes ago, niss_man said:

Looks great Jiri. I am glad you got to finishing these very worthy speakers. I see you've done some large changes to your rack and gear as well.

Yes, I kind of downside the rack as I did not need it all the gear>I also went for pro amps driving the bass (found some quiet one's sort to speak )I do have 7500Watts per side (speaker) so I don't think I'll be running of power anytime soon. I upgrade to Mutec MC3 USB Which is a really good little unit for PC audio. Next step is to do all sound treatment I have in mind 

J

13 hours ago, Wozza_Lee said:

Looking beautiful, I wish I could have large floorstanders in the house

Which pro amps your running?

I'm using 4 off SAE TX 2400 (bridge mode) they are cheap, reliable and good sounding amp also the most important they are very quiet in operation mode

SAE PCM series are better amps as to finish and sound quality and power but they do get noisy in a home environment   

Edited by jkn

38 minutes ago, CamSemp said:

They look so good!! What sort of finish did you use? Are the separate boxes attached to each other somehow? Or just sitting there? I suppose with those weights they're probably not going anywhere!

Not sure what do you mean by what sort of finish did you use. These panels where already veneer so on the end I just gave it of wash. The boxes are sitting on anti-slip packers which I have found at bunnings 5mmx40mm round 

I have done some setting this morning posting some pictures. They do sound really good but that comment could be biased,,,,,,, The best scenario would be if someone else auditions and comments on the sound 

master.jpg

slave.jpg

3way.jpg

tweeter.jpg

midrange.jpg

bass.jpg

cal_01.jpg

cal2.jpg

cal3.jpg

cal4.jpg

room_meas.jpg

29 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Will DEQX "correct" or "smooth" that out?

It looks pretty good to me SORT OFF that is   If I use different software like raw or holm the FR would be pretty flat. I can apply more EQ to the existing measurements but sometimes it works/sound better without too much eq. Anyway, I think that within +6+6 DB FR is kind of good reference. I think the tweeter is just fine don't need any eq there is suck out at crossover point at 1600 which I don't usually fix with eq I just leave it as it is. A bit Massy is the bass crossover point but..... Subs Left is just fine the Right has nasty dips which I can not fix > unfortunately, DEQx has not separate EQ (left Right) option  

Edited by jkn

Looking very good indeed... I really like the look of natural grain of good quality ply. 

Did you need all the weight that comes with the concrete fill?

I only ask because you can add polystyrene beads (bean bag beans) to the wet mix to save on a lot of weight.

Cheers!

Edited by Mushroom01
Spelling error
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jkn said:

Not sure what do you mean by what sort of finish did you use. These panels where already veneer so on the end I just gave it of wash. The boxes are sitting on anti-slip packers which I have found at bunnings 5mmx40mm round 

Just wondering if you coated the ply with a clear coat or something?