WANTED - Sennheiser HD202 headphones OR HD540/250/430 Headphones or Headband Only

Hi all, I posted this in the general discussion as well .... before thinking about this thread. Looking for a good headband to fit the Senn HD250 Linear cans, will poach from a set of HD202s or buy another pairHD540s if I have to. I have a pair of HD250 Linear I capsules and I really need a headband that will fit with them, anything from that era that works will do for starters. I'm just as happy to look at a knackered pair of 540/250/430 OR even a running set of those headphones. Preferably not too expensive please. I'd be happy with ASAP :) but can wait for the right ones to come up. Happy to pay postage. Many thanks in advance! 

Edited by Lightstream

• 2 weeks later...

As written in my original review on head-fi, the single headband from the HD202 fits perfectly, and you can probably get these at giveaway prices locally (especially if you find faulty ones).

Now, if you need new original earpads as well instead of the crappy aftermarket stuff, well, that's a different story, there is probably still a little bit of stock left somewhere in the world hanging in a warehouse, it would be good to know where :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, padam said:

As written in my original review on head-fi, the single headband from the HD202 fits perfectly, and you can probably get these at giveaway prices locally (especially if you find faulty ones).

Now, if you need new original earpads as well instead of the crappy aftermarket stuff, well, that's a different story, there is probably still a little bit of stock left somewhere in the world hanging in a warehouse, it would be good to know where :)

Thanks for the headband tip! I will look around. I ended up buying a set of HD430s in excellent condition, complete with new original leather/pleather pads and they might now be too good to pull apart! I'll look for an HD202 h/band. I did find some of the correct leather pads for the HD250 Linear headphones from Germany and they too are on their way. I was given some good tips on that one too by a long time user (in a studio), along with some other vital info on having the correct foams, felt rings etc to allow the HD250s to perform at their intended best. It's a fun journey. 

Yep, you no need to to that anymore.

Can you point me towards that or was it a one-time deal?

It was available at the thomann.de studio equipment shop, but it's been a long time since it had been discontinued.

Ah no, I think they are still available on eBay, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Ohrpolster-passend-an-Sennheiser-HD-250-linear-u-HD-250-Linear-II-HD250-II/142322218532?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also, if you don't have the correct foams covering the drivers - they are not flat, but taper from 12mm to 1mm (centre) in a convex shape - then the pads will not be lifted at the edges to provide the proper airflow for a linear bass response, as originally designed. Those ones though ARE hard to find, apparently and there is an alternative that comes very close to the correct heights that you can use instead. I can show you in picture form if you need it. 

Yes, unfortunately all these knock-off earpads are messing with the sound, unlike the genuine ones. The HD530 pads are a bit similarly constructed, but not as thick as the HD250 originals. So no real alternatives I'm afraid.

I found the same with the headphone cables, while they can be changed, the original cable just somehow sounds better (but at least that's still available).

I wouldn't go that far on the original cable (1989) with the HD540 Ref1s :) I popped it in my h/phones a week or so ago and the sound immediately became grainier and upper mid band edgy and the weight and depth of the bass became more airy, just like the cans used to sound like as stock for so many years. I still loved them anyway, they are just so much better now and retain all of the fine rhythmic integrity and communicative skills of not only as they were, stock, but also preferable to so many other headphones out there that I've heard.

Of course, you're talking HD250s here and I've not heard the original cable that came with them. They work just fine with the HD6xx/650 cable and even better with the Mogami. In fact, transparency across the board improves with the Mogami 2893 on all three of the cans I've made them for here.