Recommend an alternative to Volumio for Raspberry Pi

Hi

I have been using Volumio for sometime on  a Pi. The last few updates however have brought lots of bugs displaying media via albums and attempting to play albums.

My media is stored on a drive attached to the router. I'm happy to use a web GUI or app to control media but ideally I would like to retain the advance features such as album art etc.  I have an i2s DAC which seems to work well as a generic i2s dac. I am currently using an original Pi B+  (pi1?) and would prefer to use it over one of my Pi3's. I looked into Runeaudio but it doesnt appear to have been updated in some years.

Suggestions?

Edited by Jonesy_SA

I preferred the stability and SQ of moode Audio when compared to Volumio. I also tried JRiver on Pi as I had invested in JRiver Apps previously. The SQ was also good. Being able to use a stable App to browse and control my music is important to me. For these reasons I also moved away from volumio. I Recently upgraded my DAC so have moved back to JRiver on a Mac. If I hadn’t I would still be using moode .

Not really seeing the bugs/instability in Volumio here. 

However, maybe you could just use something like M.A.L.P. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gateshipone.malp&hl=en) as a front end to the MPD daemon directly and ignore the Volumio interface?  Something you could try without reinstalling anything.

You could also just install the squeezelite player and run LMS as your front end.  Also, minimal change to your existing system to try.

I also have Moode.  Aside from the huge messy setup, it seems capable.  You could try that.

I am using PiCorePlayer "audio version" on a Pi B+,  https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news, with HiFiBerry DAC + Pro.

Connect to the PiCorePlayer from a PC running LMS 7.9.0 with music on internal disk.

LMS can be run on the Pi, I ran into issues with it so use the PC.

Android "Squeezer" https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.org.ngo.squeezer&hl=en for control when in listening position.

How it compares to other options I cannot say, I have not used them.

Edited by soundbyte
  • Like 1

Thank you for the responses. I'll look over them all and respond back. In the interim could I have some advice on proper media tags.

In Volumio if I select Album view compilations were appearing as multiple albums based on the artist. For example in a classical album I was seeing perhaps 7 copies of the album but each one contained only a single artist. If however I selected Artist view, then all tracks on my storage were grouped nicely via artist.  I read online the "Album Artist" tag should be unique in Compilations to group all songs under the same Album. I tried this and now under album view all tracks appear as part of a single compillation they belong to, however, when you click Artist view, it is grouping Artists based on this data, thus compillations appear as a single artist. 

Where am i going wrong? (Under album view I want compilations grouped as a single album, however under artist the individual tracks should appear under their respective artist)

In the example below the album Artist was originally bank. This resulted in 7 x The Best Classical Album... etc one for each artist. under artist view however they appeared correctly with all other tracks by the same artist. By adding the Album Artist as EMI it combines all the artists as one compilation under Album view, but when i view via Artist; all the artists are listed as EMI.

Meta Data of individual tracks:

tags0.JPG.dd96cd3f75c01426969eace6e558cd74.JPG

Meta data of multiple tracks selected together:

tags.JPG.f75b0c35ce74949d65e9d06e4ed149ef.JPG

Edited by Jonesy_SA

Actually keeping tags accurate and in working order is very difficult.  Basically, I gave up on trying to organise albums using tags.  The old way, by putting each album in a separate folder, and playing them based on folders, not tags, is the only thing that consistently works for me !   It's also MUCH faster than dealing with tags from a database on a web page (such as Volumio presents).