sootshe

WITHDRAWN OR RELISTED: FS: Ambience Reference 1800

Item:  Ambience Reference 1800 Speakers
Price:  $4950
Item Condition: Excellent
Reason for selling: Surplus - too many speakers
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: 

Plenty of rave reviews on the net for these incredible speakers. 

96db efficiency for use with low powered valve amps & they have also been run with 300W solid state set ups that sound quite special.

Dual 8" bass drivers for solid, low frequency performance & ribbon mids & tops for exceptional clarity & soundstaging.

Matched serial number pair & I am the second owner. 

Speakers are in as new condition & perform faultlessly. Due to the nature of these ribbons, freight would be an issue because of packing them securely, so pick up is preferred to prevent damage.

Pictures:

IMG_20180412_134221.jpg

IMG_20180412_134229.jpg

IMG_20180412_134310.jpg

IMG_20180412_134353.jpg

IMG_20180412_134449.jpg

IMG_20180412_134629.jpg

These are beautiful speakers in my opinion, I bought the reference 1600 due to space limitations.

Just curious as to What amps did you use to best effect? 

Im currently looking for valve amp to suit mine, but spoilt for choice (if i lived in WA lol)

These are a bargain and would snap them up if I had the room..

Good luck with the sale

I'm selling these for a friend. I know he used a Magnus solid state with them that sounded great. He also used a valve amp with them which also sounded fabulous. 

what are the monster blue speaker cables in the shots. lovely speakers- have been tempted a few times over the last few months - i have the WA tubes amps just not the faith in couriers to bring these across. GLWTS

I've heard the lesser versions in some longer and asymmetrical rooms which can be challenging for many speakers and with a little space behind them they're absolutely reference for stereo imaging in my book. Ribbons give you such a wonderful scale that's rare even with large conventional speakers. I heard that Zaphod had some Ambience ribbons and I can only imagine that with the ME amps they'd bring back the experiences of the monster KSA Krells and Apogee ribbons of the 80s with better treble refinement, much less weight and less smoke from the electricity meter! The maker is a really wonderful chap to deal with too and I think in high-end hifi, where these things may well be investments for years to come, the value of that cannot be overstated.

These things are true ribbons - I examined one putting it in and the physical construction is amazing. They are not etched onto Kapton or Mylar like Carver or the lower-end Apogees nor are they as fragile or amplifier-destroying a load as those that used to sway in the breeze in the true ribbon high end Apogee models like the Scintilla and Diva. Really, a superb design and execution, both in engineering terms and sound.

Weight and size is ultimately the limiting factor in the sale of these kinds of thing internationally (how many of the Carver Amazing loudspeakers have you run across lately for example) and we often forget how seriously expensive those Apogee Duetta Sigs and higher models were, even then. With improved neo magnets and the flexibility to run most kinds of amplification, these have so many advantages over what many of us considered the apogee (sorry, that's not punny is it?) of audio reproduction then, that they have to be a no-brainer if you enjoy large scale and refined presentation in your music. I think we're very lucky then that the designer is an Australian and we can buy these beauties here. GLWTS, this is a rare opportunity for some lucky buyer.  

Edited by treuben

This item has been withdrawn from sale or relisted.