Sign in to follow this  
DrMoShen

Advice on Amp choice for HT / CX-A5100

I have Martin & Logan 60XT L&R, 50XT Center some rears and I'm going to add 2 pairs of their upward firing atmos speakers.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1079 AVR but I'm looking to replace it as it doesn't allow for Dolby Vision pass through or Tidal streaming. I have a couple of other Yamaha bits and pieces so although not a deal breaker to changing I have a few of their bits and thus the Music Cast system within the house.

This was my first foray in to home theatre having moved from 2 channel Audio GD amp, dac etc. and ME 240 Amps before that. To be honest the current amp is also underpowered for my liking as I'm frequently having to turn it up to -20db  -15db range which out of past habits I'm not fond of having amps pushed much further than 2/3rds of their capacity (could just be me though).

Anyway, for the next move I was contemplating having a mass sell off of all the other Hifi gear I have laying around and purchasing a separate processor and amp so that I only have to replace the processor every once and while as standards change. Given my current set up I was looking at the Yamaha CX-A5100 as the processor. In regards to the amp I was wondering if anyone familiar with this sort of thing would recommend just getting the matching Yamaha amp MX-A5100 or whether to save up and spend a little more on different power amp(s) (Probably looking to get to 7.1.4 channels)?

The Yamaha amp has a max power consumption of 650W spread over 11 channels. :(

A couple of used Elektra multichannel amps would be a better choice.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

A couple of used Elektra multichannel amps would be a better choice.

Thanks. I will definitely look at the Elektra. Are there any other brands that you either recommend looking at  or staying away from? (given that I'll be restricted to the secondhand market).

When it comes to turning them on automatically when the processor comes on, is that what the 12v trigger function is for? 

7 minutes ago, DrMoShen said:

Thanks. I will definitely look at the Elektra. Are there any other brands that you either recommend looking at  or staying away from? (given that I'll be restricted to the secondhand market).

When it comes to turning them on automatically when the processor comes on, is that what the 12v trigger function is for? 

Really too many brands to go into detail. As a general rule, Japanese brands multichannel power amps are nothing special.

Yes, the 12V trigger function will turn the amps on if you select that option.