Sign in to follow this  
KiZ

Hisense 50N7 owners' impressions?

Hi all. Sorry if this has been covered, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

I bought a 50" "ULED" Hisense on clearance last weekend, as an upgrade for my bedroom TV, and have been playing with settings. Wondering who else owns/knows this TV in depth, so I can have some consensus on a few issues/observations:

1. Local dimming is not only a joke, but NON EXISTENT!!

I've tried with the setting on and off and medium through to low backlight settings and can say 100% that this TV does not dim the backlight regardless. I've run a youtube test on the TV and compared with my 65" Q7F (still edge lit) and it is chalk and cheese -- there is nothing happening!! Anyone else tried, can tell me if it's maybe just not working?

2. Blur and judder reduction cause artifacts on screen, the likes of which I've never seen in a "premium" model TV.

I'm overall a fan of these features, when they can be set subtly, like on Samsung's range, where you can manually set each one (I like them on 3-4). The model Hisense I played with in-store had these manual controls, yet when I get mine home and install it, there are only four presets -- clear, standard, smooth, and off... I called their support line today and was told (unconvincingly) that this was actually due to it being a newer model. Seems strange that you would remove a feature like this, yet leave so much fine tuning for white balance, RGB, sound, etc... they are emailing me the latest firmware, so I am holding out a glimmer of hope that it's included...

3. App store: bitterly disappointing!

4. Remote button "click" grinds my gears -- I'll get over it... HOWEVER... what the heck is with the responsiveness... no matter how hard or soft you press the buttons, or what angle you have the remote on, it randomly drops one every 8-12 clicks. Sounds like nothing, but when you're scanning netflix trying to find nothing to watch, and you expect it to scroll and it does nothing, it hurts my brain? Is it just me?

Overall, I quite like the TV, but don't love it. It really comes into its own on a good 4K demo video and so long as images are high res, with a bright and diverse range of contrast and colours, most of the issues I have mentioned are not noticable! I know I'm setting the bar high, comparing it to my Q7F, but when Hisense and reviewers have been comparing the two for the best part of 12 months, I guess i just expected a bit more for my money!

Appreciate hearing from other owners on these topics and any tips for getting the best out of the picture :-)

dbe042d08d6819c3c855c794f37264da.jpg

I had one for a day or two.

Picture washed out at any angle other than straight ahead.

Sound distorted at volume levels when it really shouldn't.

Couldn't find a setting that would give the correct aspect ratio when streaming form a NAS drive.

Returned it and got a Sony instead. 

Much happier.

I had one for a day or two.

Picture washed out at any angle other than straight ahead.
Sound distorted at volume levels when it really shouldn't.
Couldn't find a setting that would give the correct aspect ratio when streaming form a NAS drive.

Returned it and got a Sony instead. 

Much happier.
What Sony please?

KD49X7000E

I was looking for an inexpensive TV for the kids playroom and bought the Hisense based on positive reviews of the N7 series but was disappointed with the performance (read later that the 50N7 uses a Chinese panel while the larger sets use a Samsung panel).

Although I like the Sony much more than the Hisense, I prefer the picture on my older but higher range Sony KD55X8500B.