Is it a worthwhile upgrade from a Hifiman 400i to a STax SRS3100?

I have been using the Hifiman 400I for over a year now, I've been quite happy with the sound. I liked it more than my AKG701 QJ edition. I found the Hifiman 'livelier' than the AKG. I was wondering if the Stax SRS3100 would be much of an upgrade to the 400i (is the planar sound similar to electrostatics?) I listen to classical/pop/jazz and sometimes I find orchestral music sound abit congested on the 400i, would the stax do better? Wonder where I could audition a pair in Sydney as well. Thanks.

@dervish

@Len Wallis Audio

Len Wallis audio in Lane Cove 2066 has got the whole range of Stax gear to audition. Take your hifiman 400i and some music that you know well for comparison. Also grab your credit card as I will be surprised if you don’t walk away with the 3100 on the same day.

http://www.lenwallisaudio.com/products/accessories/headphones/srs-3100-earspeaker-system

if you haven’t listened to Stax sound especially to the music genres that you listen, you really should. Do not be put off by it being entry level as there’s nothing entry level about the sound

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 1

I listen mostly to the same genres and found Stax gear uncomfortably heavy and clumsy after a couple of extended auditions. Great tonality and most of all soundstage, but I for one value practicality just as much when it comes to headphones. For classical and jazz my Grado RS2e cans have it all. Price-wise probably a logical progression from the Hi-400i. 

33 minutes ago, was_a said:

I listen mostly to the same genres and found Stax gear uncomfortably heavy and clumsy after a couple of extended auditions. Great tonality and most of all soundstage, but I for one value practicality just as much when it comes to headphones. For classical and jazz my Grado RS2e cans have it all. Price-wise probably a logical progression from the Hi-400i. 

Would have to disagree about the uncomfortably heavy unless you are talking about the top of the range earspeaker sr-007 or sr-009. The headphone/earspeaker in 3100 is very light and has an improved adjustment mechanism compared to previous generations classic Lambda earspeakers. Also many find Grado headphones uncomfortable in general due to the type of ear pads that they use especially in rs2, for some the dreaded l cushion is a deal breaker. I personally have currently 325is and are using the s cushion for comfort reasons. In the past had the Alessandro ms-pro and had to update to g cushion for the same reasons. Although i agree in regard to the Grado house sound that for the money asked they are fantastic headphones to have especially the wood series. Also ideally one would need a decent amplifier for the rs2 not to say drive it as they are 32ohm but have an absolute control/fitness over them. This puts the rs2 combo close to Stax 3100 price so it’s a matter of audition by the op as to the preference, who knows he may find the L cushions comfortable on rs2, some do.

Neo

Lol, the OP is reading all of this, indeed. Thanks for the replies.

@was_a Ok, good to hear about the Grado. I will try to audition it as well. 

I was hoping that maybe the Stax would be the end of the line upgrade for me in terms of headphones, so maybe I should try a few others before making a purchase. My budget probably won't stretch any further than the SRS3100. my headphone amp is rated at 1w into a 32 ohm load with an impedance of 30ohms. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2018 at 10:52 AM, dervish said:

I have been using the Hifiman 400I for over a year now, I've been quite happy with the sound. I liked it more than my AKG701 QJ edition. I found the Hifiman 'livelier' than the AKG. I was wondering if the Stax SRS3100 would be much of an upgrade to the 400i (is the planar sound similar to electrostatics?) I listen to classical/pop/jazz and sometimes I find orchestral music sound abit congested on the 400i, would the stax do better? Wonder where I could audition a pair in Sydney as well. Thanks.

This is a late response but I have heard many Hifiman and Audeze headphones, I would rate my SRS-3100 setup higher than anything under $2000. Only HD800s surpass these "entry level" Electrostats for me...

Cheers,

Ata