projector / screen recommendation

Hi,

I am looking to replace my Sony 4k 70" TV with a projector. My home theatre room is about 4.9m x 4.2m, the projector will be on the shorter wall (4.2m), so I'll probably sit around 3.8m from the wall.

My wife likes to watch TV in the room, that was the reason we initially got the TV but I feel it lacks in size when watching movie as it is a bit small for the room. Hence, thats why I am looking into getting a projector.

I am looking into 110" - 125" screen. Not sure if I should get fixed screen or the motorised drop down one as that option allow my wife to still watch TV. Are there any image quality difference between drop down screen and fixed screen? 

I am not sure what brand of projector / screen I should be looking at. Are there any recommendations on projector  / screen / shop? Budget is around 15k fully installed. 

Would like the projector to have HDR as I am able to tell a fair bit of difference on the TV between HDR and non HDR.

With a 15k budget you can go to the top end of the market.

A fixed screen will always be better than a drop down screen, but if you wish for the room to be duel use (tv & projector) you don't have much choice. 

If fixed i would go with 

http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=25

If drop down i would go with tab tensioned screen. this gives you the flattest image possible for drop down. I have one of these in 110 and it is very nice. The only draw back is the black boarder is not as black as i would like. My 110 was $2,800 to give you an idea on price. 

https://screentechnics.com.au/products/projection-screens/motorised-screens/electricinema-side-tension-screen

For a projector i would be looking at the Sony VW360 or JVC 9900 (these are both high end projectors, you can spend more or less and be very happy with the image)

As for shops, im not sure what is really available in SA. But most hifi shops can get in the screen technics stuff, and you can order the screens/projectors from quite a few places and have delivered. 

Hope that helps

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

With a 15k budget you can go to the top end of the market.

A fixed screen will always be better than a drop down screen, but if you wish for the room to be duel use (tv & projector) you don't have much choice. 

If fixed i would go with 

http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=25

If drop down i would go with tab tensioned screen. this gives you the flattest image possible for drop down. I have one of these in 110 and it is very nice. The only draw back is the black boarder is not as black as i would like. My 110 was $2,800 to give you an idea on price. 

https://screentechnics.com.au/products/projection-screens/motorised-screens/electricinema-side-tension-screen

For a projector i would be looking at the Sony VW360 or JVC 9900 (these are both high end projectors, you can spend more or less and be very happy with the image)

As for shops, im not sure what is really available in SA. But most hifi shops can get in the screen technics stuff, and you can order the screens/projectors from quite a few places and have delivered. 

Hope that helps

Thanks Johnny. 15k is probably the absolute maximum I am willing to go.

If there are good bang for buck under 10k that would be a bonus. Will look into your recommendations.

Edited by cyberkank

Can recommend th screen technics am running a drop down of theirs some years now. If 110” I wouldn’t worry re tab tensioned but 125” is getting up there !

be wary of going too big in screen will just limit output to what can do with HDR. And need lamp up in high output which will send to early death

re Sony I would also be wary. Many of their models are limited

check has dynamic iris

check hdmi board not limited to 13.5Gbps ie can’t do full bandwidth 

check colour space support as some are limited and can’t do full dcip3 uhd requires

all above non issues with jvc mentioned.

also seating vs screen size. I’d look at where 2/3rd room depth is this tends to work good for audio video. The. Work back given how far from screen want to sit. Around 3x screen heights if like sitting mid to back of cinema. 2.5-2.2x screen heights if want to sit closer in. Both will over resolve for 1080p the closer distance will get you starting to resolve uhd. In a home setup distances of 1-1.5x screen height sis just not practical to fully resolve uhd :)

factor in installation, cable, mount :)

ah adelaide.. the city time forgot.

i am not and never have been to this store but remember reading another post about it. maybe they have some pjs they can show you as you need to research before buying.. http://www.visionliving.com.au/contact

budget, although max is $15k as posted $4k will surprise you. you have many options including new, used and 2nds ie epson aust seconds. stereonet classifieds gumtree/ebay.

i am an entry level HT user but feel new is an option if nothing else is available.. so definately not my first choice. especially if buying from an enthusiast that has looked after their gear. same with screens which hold value like a new car and just as hard to sell once driven for a week.

dont forget the audio side of all this as it has equal value when watching a movie as the visuals.. some might say more.

2 hours ago, :) al said:

Can recommend th screen technics am running a drop down of theirs some years now. If 110” I wouldn’t worry re tab tensioned but 125” is getting up there !

be wary of going too big in screen will just limit output to what can do with HDR. And need lamp up in high output which will send to early death

re Sony I would also be wary. Many of their models are limited

check has dynamic iris

check hdmi board not limited to 13.5Gbps ie can’t do full bandwidth 

check colour space support as some are limited and can’t do full dcip3 uhd requires

all above non issues with jvc mentioned.

also seating vs screen size. I’d look at where 2/3rd room depth is this tends to work good for audio video. The. Work back given how far from screen want to sit. Around 3x screen heights if like sitting mid to back of cinema. 2.5-2.2x screen heights if want to sit closer in. Both will over resolve for 1080p the closer distance will get you starting to resolve uhd. In a home setup distances of 1-1.5x screen height sis just not practical to fully resolve uhd :)

factor in installation, cable, mount :)

Thanks for the great info Al.

Unfortunately I can only sit at the rear of the room instead of 2/3 as the misses do not like the idea of sitting away from the wall. Regarding screen height vs far back? Is that the top screen height measured from the ground? My bottom of the screen will have to be at least 95cm to 100 cm as that is my height of centre speaker on top of cabinet.

Will look into JVC, however I noticed that they dont do any native 4k projectors except for the super expensive flagship one. Will the 4k shift be disadvantage compared to the native 4k ones?

native 4k.. i doubt you will justify the high price if you had the 2 style pjs next to each other.. diminishing returns.

1m high from the bottom of the screen is imo getting high. when seated eye to screen might be less than 3.8m depending on the type of chair.

as always do not buy a screen until you have projected on the wall for a week or 2 so you can decide then the best size screen for your room environment.

12 hours ago, Johnny_Boy said:

A fixed screen will always be better than a drop down screen

Totally untrue. An electric retractable screen can use the same screen material as a fixed screen and can hold it just as flat, even without tab tensioning.

Its the screen material that matters, the cloth-fibreglass backed material often used in retractable screens is not good because its not smooth. Stretch vinyl material is the go as it can be ultra smooth and texture free, be it on a fixed or retractable screen.

Using a projector for general TV viewing is not an option as far as I am concerned, low quality content look really bad on a BIG screen.  Use a projector for Bluray movies and the 70"  TV for TV and other less then great video source, best of both worlds. This requires a retractable screen if you want to view TV and movies in the same room.

"Native 4K" isn't what its cracked up to be, it really isn't. When viewing you will never know one way or the other. No such thing as 4K resolution movies anyway, they don't exist. Pixels are NOT resolution.

Unless you plan on buying 4K Bluray disks you should not be concerned about 4K. Streaming services are WAY to compressed to provide anything even close to "4K". Even 4K Bluray can only provide about 3K Luma and and 1.5K Chroma real world visible resolution, best case.

Edited by Owen

10 hours ago, cyberkank said:

Unfortunately I can only sit at the rear of the room instead of 2/3 as the misses do not like the idea of sitting away from the wall

Pity, back to wall is THE worst spot for audio and will just force you to larger screens.

Regarding screen height vs far back? Is that the top screen height measured from the ground? My bottom of the screen will have to be at least 95cm to 100 cm as that is my height of centre speaker on top of cabinet.

No screen height is the height of the screen. Not height off the ground. What I gave you was some rules of thumb :) ie sit at 2.2-2.5 screen heights :) so if sitting 3.8m from screen looking at 1.5m high screen or about a 120”

its a pity your screen is SO high off ground as will limit size of screen above that before it is uncomfortable with crook neck looking at screen closer to ceiling than floor. Also unless got high ceilings a screen 1m off floor means can’t fit a 120” screen above that !

also with screen up against ceiling you then expose yourself to more reflection off ceilings.

Will look into JVC, however I noticed that they dont do any native 4k projectors except for the super expensive flagship one. Will the 4k shift be disadvantage compared to the native 4k ones?

Please do not fall for the 4k hook. You will not be sitting at distance and screen height to realistically ever fully resolve 4k in the home. Neither will ever get material with true 4k detail.

FAR more important is pure picture quality. Eg the Sony while use native chip cheap out on optics and all the stuff I mentioned and particularly blacks which is very noticeable deficient  vs jvc.

the native 4k Sony’s or jvc worth considering are way out of budget.

convince wife to bring couch forward,

create a space behind 

bookshelves, bar ?

If running audio then also makes possible 7.1 with rears and also 7.1.4 with atmos rear heights

Will allow screen to go smaller, not stuck up at ceiling. Easier on lamp and output for HDR :)

45 minutes ago, Owen said:

Totally untrue. An electric retractable screen can use the same screen material as a fixed screen and can hold it just as flat, even without tab tensioning.

Its the screen material that matters, the cloth-fibreglass backed material often used in retractable screens is not good because its not smooth. Stretch vinyl material is the go as it can be ultra smooth and texture free, be it on a fixed or retractable screen.

I still think a fixed screen is better.

not for the screen material itself, but for the black boarder. It’s just not as black as a fixed frame (provided the right frame that is like the oztheatre stuff). 

But it like you I have a drop down screen because it’s a dual use room, if I had a dedicated room it would be fixed. 

I have never been aware that the black screen borders of my screens was anything but black because there is no light projected onto them, absolutely a non issue. I feel no need to mask the 16:9 screen for scope movies either, a high contrast JVC projector makes that unnecessary IMHO.

As I said, if the OP wants to view Bluray movies and TV-streaming  content in the same room a retractable screen along with a TV and a projector are required for best results.

I will be moving to a new house with a dedicated 7.5 - 5.5m theatre room with a 150" 16:9 fixed screen (4m viewing distance), BUT no way I will be viewing anything other then Bluray movies in there. All other video sources will be viewed on a TV in another room.

Edited by Owen

• 2 weeks later...

Might look into the JVC X9900 as it seems to be on special at the moment (under 7k shipped) which is pretty tempting and by the response, JVC has a good reputation for image quality / contrast.

Deciding if I should go motorised or fixed screen and how big the screen should be. Anyone can point me in the right direction? (I like to sit in the middle in the theatre).

Also, considering a projector lift so I dont need to see the projector all the time when I am not using it, any brand to look for?

I've attached my room layout for reference.

Due to speaker restrictions, The minimum height for the bottom of the screen will need to be 900mm off the ground and total ceiling height is around 3m (2.9m with cornice)

735595624_thumbnail_Speakersetup.jpg.de6d34b326f93bebc872fb0637c73b14.jpg

Edited by cyberkank
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cyberkank said:

Might look into the JVC X9900 as it seems to be on special at the moment (under 7k shipped) which is pretty tempting and by the response, JVC has a good reputation for image quality / contrast.

@cyberkank given kind of room(likely non dedicated anyways) I would likely go the 7900 foregoing the 9900. honestly with all feedback ive read its not worth it for extra outlay which id put in a quality screen instead. they are basically same projector with the 9900 you are looking at some hand picked parts which seems to be a bit of a gamble anyways.

a motorised lift for the projector is going to be an extremely expensive outlay do you realy need it ? most people in my setup dont even notice the projector and i have a pretty typical lounge room setting. first thing they infact notice is and this is rare too ... the drop down screen mounted on the ceiling. and then ask if have a projector :D you'd think they'd see it but its out of line of sight ie people rarely look up tend to look across the room etc. mine is over a door way and wiht high ceilings not noticed .... get a decent ceiling mount like the peerless precision gear mount and mount at ceiling (it will be pretty flush... and unlikely people will notice. note a good mount like this is ESSENTIAL please dont buy any other rubbish. Oztheatre stocks it or can get from B&H photo.

note motorised screens are good if dont want the screen to a prominent feature of the room and disappearing out of view when not needed. I use one as I have a multipurpose room is our lounge room and also my study, music room etc. and we also use a 50" flat panel for every day TV with the projector screen just dropping down in front of it when needed for larger screen viewing eg movies, sport, concerts etc.

looking at your room sketch it looks a little oddly shaped / arranged... but yeah many of us have some non dedicated rooms with their own challenges. given a room like and dont know other specifics... but I would use 4.27 length to project up onto

I know mentioned before on wife limitations but I would likely re orientate the   couch ... and place it so you walk in the room and the couch is parallel to wall to left. 

room2.jpg

I wouldnt as you had it had back to wall as this is worst case scenario audio wise. I would use the rule of thirds as that works well for both audio and video to place the main listening position abut 1.6m off back wall. and leaving yourself sitting 3.26m from front wall :)

to THX spec for immersion that means a screen size in order of 102-110" for someone who likes sitting around middle row in a cinema id go for the 102" and at this distance you will easily resolve 1080p blu-ray and also start to get some benefit of 4k uhd   res material.

sitting off the back wall will do well for coherency of vocals and also make sure you arent sitting in an area of bass gain. 2ch wise as well will allow you to place your front mains at a decent distance to have you sitting just out of equilateral which works well for imaging :) with rule of 1/3rds id experiment with the fronts so moving them away from front wall as far ahead as some 1.5m from front

with a 102" screen and the jvcs you'll have plenty of output up sleeve. can have projector discretely up the back even in a bookshelf if want and no one would know its ever there :) another bonus of having couch off back wall ! 

having couch of back wall will also mean can have side surrounds and rear surrounds for a 7.1 rig and if want leaves options of 4 front and rear heights as well with plenty of room around the couch for them to work.

could end up with a pretty nice setup I would say :) the above ofcourse making quite a few assumptions. quite possible none will suits given room orientation or some other requirements we are un aware off.

Unfortunately, the orientation and furnitures can't really be moved due to various reasons. 

I currently have a 7.1 setup using wall mount surrounds (2 side and 2 rears) and the results are quite good already. Thinking of mounting the 2 ceiling speakers for atmos.

The price difference for the X7700 and X9900 is not that much difference at the moment, just a few hundred dollars. 

Will look into 100" to 110" screens then. 

I did a quick calculation, it seems like the vertical angle for the screen based on my seating position and mounting height will be around 30 to 32 degrees depending on screen size choice. Will that be too much?

Edited by cyberkank

On 12/04/2018 at 12:30 AM, Owen said:

I will be moving to a new house with a dedicated 7.5 - 5.5m theatre room with a 150" 16:9 fixed screen (4m viewing distance), BUT no way I will be viewing anything other then Bluray movies in there. All other video sources will be viewed on a TV in another room.

I have absolutely no problem streaming 1080 Netflix and Stan TV series' to my JVC X7000 and a 110" screen (3m viewing distance).

At least 80% and sometimes 90% as good as bluray.

I get seem to get more value out of my projector than most here.  ?

I can't imagine using my little baby sized TV for anything other than the news and a bit of sport.

I presume "your other room" won't have the sound system of your theatre main room.

Edited by Satanica

• 2 weeks later...

You are very tolerant mate. I have never seen Stan but 1080 Netflix at the highest data rate is just not acceptable to me on the projector, not even close. The very heavy compression used destroys the darker parts of the image and makes dim indoor scenes damn ugly, plus the sound quality dead set sucks.

When ever I wanted to watch Netflix, which wasn't often, I turned the projector off and switch to the TV. Even on a 65" TV at 3m I struggled with the picture and sound quality and it was a serious distraction when viewing.

Needless to say I dumped Netflix and have never looked back.

On 26/04/2018 at 2:11 PM, Satanica said:

I presume "your other room" won't have the sound system of your theatre main room.

I have plenty of amps, speaks and subs that I can use for the TV in the living room but I don't tend to bother using them. For viewing the ABC and SBS, which is what I use a TV for, I don't see any need for big sound. The VT60 has remarkably clean audio, its just cant go load. Thats fine, it doesn't need to.

The Samsung LCD in the other living area has always used an amp, speaks and sub from day one because my wife watches Foxtel on it, including movies. The TV's speaks have never been used.

That TV will be replaced with a bigger one, almost certainly another LCD,  but the sound system will likely remain as it is. If its not broken don't fix it.

An update on this thread. I've just got a projector installer to come and have a look at the room and it seems like the biggest screen I can go for is around 90 to 100 inches. As my centre speaker / cabinet height limits the size of screen being mounted (also motorised drop down) due to the fact the top of screen being too high for comfortable viewing.

So I think I may look into an option of getting a 86" TV as it is not that much smaller than the 90" projector and saves me hassle of fiddling with the room. 

Currently looking into the new 2018 LG 86" LED TV with Dolby Vision available for around 7.5k 

Why do you have to put a cabinet under the screen?

I have a 100" screen mounted low enough to put the screen centre line at eye hight while seated and the centre channel is only 200mm off the floor. Works fine and the screen could be bigger without any problem.

A 100" screen is lot bigger then an 86" and a TV just doesn't provide the wonderfully natural image of a good projector.

19 hours ago, Owen said:

Why do you have to put a cabinet under the screen?

I have a 100" screen mounted low enough to put the screen centre line at eye hight while seated and the centre channel is only 200mm off the floor. Works fine and the screen could be bigger without any problem.

A 100" screen is lot bigger then an 86" and a TV just doesn't provide the wonderfully natural image of a good projector.

Unfortunately to accomodate my hifi gears my cabinet needs to be sufficiently tall. Unless I start putting gears out of the cabinet and on the floor (which is a no no for the misses) I dont have any rooms to fit them all in. 

I just bought the LG 86" TV so the search for the projector is over for now, this may resurface in a few years time. 

Your centre needs to be set firing at closer to ear level in any case.  No real point firing at your shins ! Unless that’s where ears tend to be :D

given what’s requird for projector and screen it may not be for everyone. Took me 2 years of thinking, help and input from friends and even structural mods changes to the room.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

Your centre needs to be set firing at closer to ear level in any case.  No real point firing at your shins ! Unless that’s where ears tend to be :D

given what’s requird for projector and screen it may not be for everyone. Took me 2 years of thinking, help and input from friends and even structural mods changes to the room.

Yeah, possibly for our next house (if we choose to build again) I'll make sure to have projector setup in mind. 

• Like 1