First RCM, what am I doing wrong?

2 hours ago, PMac76 said:

So a traditional RCM for dirty records and Ultrasonic cleaner for noisy records?

IMO you should avoid touching or rubbing the surface of any record, as it has to be doing some damage.

Ultrasonic will get records very clean and is very gentle. If extra dirty I clean one at a time for 20 minutes if not too dirty I do four at a time for fifteen minutes.

Guest Hensa
2 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

@Hensa   Thanks!  I'll be picking one up this weekend!

The first thing you'll notice is that the width of the applicator is almost exactly the same as the playing surface of the LP. Just a gentle back and forth motion parallel with the grooves while the record is rotating for 3 to 4 turns and then vacuum off. Let us know what you think.

14 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Not a problem. The one in my picture might not be the exact same model but very similar. I got mine from Bunnings who also sell replacement pads. This seems to be the current version (mine doesn't have the edge wheels...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/shur-line-premium-wheel-edger_p1660043

mine has the wheels much faster going around the curves. The shur line and Melody mate is as good as it gets before you go to Ultrasonic IME.

Guest Hensa
14 minutes ago, PKay said:

mine has the wheels much faster going around the curves. The shur line and Melody mate is as good as it gets before you go to Ultrasonic IME.

I revert to the US clean (followed by vacuuming) for about 10% of the records I clean. I find that the rest just don't need the US step.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

29 minutes ago, dasherhalo said:

Coming from a different angle, how's your stylus? Nice and clean?

Just making sure you're chasing a solution to the right problem!

I think the stylus is clean. I just use the onzow zero dust.

I was playing a couple of albums that are quiet noise wise tonight, I needed to regain some sanity after so much noise on a few I tried to clean.

13 hours ago, Hensa said:

I revert to the US clean (followed by vacuuming) for about 10% of the records I clean. I find that the rest just don't need the US step.

Almost exactly the same for me after 5 years of varying cleaning methods. All second hand vinyl (and some grotty and noisy new stuff) gets a wet wash and vacuum. About 10% have me thinking that a run through the ultrasonic machine might still improve, then I find that half of these are just damaged/bad pressings. Sure I could just ultrasonic them all up front, but I find the vacuum process is so much quicker, with similar results.

BTW I'm also using Shure line pad brushes, but the "disposable" ones. Been rotating through the same 3 brushes over 5 years.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/shur-line-handi-painter_p1670161

On 4/10/2018 at 8:55 PM, Hensa said:

The first thing you'll notice is that the width of the applicator is almost exactly the same as the playing surface of the LP. Just a gentle back and forth motion parallel with the grooves while the record is rotating for 3 to 4 turns and then vacuum off. Let us know what you think.

Well, couldn't wait until the weekend.  Picked one up today and cleaned about 10 records.  You're right, it's perfect for the job!  The width is excellent, and the small bristles fit in to the grooves perfectly, whilst the rotating handle allows it to track along nicely.  I'm a fan...

• Like 1