SGR Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

No excuse :P

Think of the community for the love of baby jesus :P (im atheist :P )

"I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt cos it says like, I wanna be formal but I’m here to party too, cos I like to party, so I like my Jesus to party"

Cal Naughton, Jr

G'day,

Are they in your hands yet or are they still being prepared for the journey?

The CX4Fs are in my house ... you think the SGR dudes would take such a crappy photo? :)

Impressions soon once I get my CD player and pre-amp hooked up and have a play with the room EQ features.

--Geoff

HG well done!

I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of my own pair.

I look forward to your impressions listening at home and more pictures as well.

enjoy them, like I know you will.

Cheers

bigears

I just caught this. A hearty congrats Geoff !! It seems like just yesterday, when you were mulling over the speakers. And now you appear to have the first production pair, serial 001A no less.

Looking forward to your review.

G'day,

Stuart is coming up tomorrow to tweak things, so I'll comment on the sound then.

One thing though: the kiddies put on "Finding Nemo" DVD and there's loud bass transients aplenty in that movie (submarines crashing against rocks, the fishtank tapping scene, etc). These transients caused the amps in the CX4F to go into protection mode about 5 or 6 times. Apparently the amps go into protection mode whenever there are very low frequencies at very loud SPLs. I'm not privy yet to the exact cutoff points for the CX4F in this regard, but using my crappy Radio Shack sound level meter I noted that the dialogue was around 65-75db and the transients up around 95db, and probably went down to 20Hz or lower.

I don't have a subwoofer, but I had to set a subwoofer cutoff point of 40Hz on the AVR (the lowest setting) to prevent the CX4F amps from going into protected mode. The rated specs of the CX4F are 28Hz - 20kHz, so it seems a shame to be losing all sound in the 28Hz - 40Hz range when playing movies (I haven't set any cutoff when playing music). I've not had to do this with any speakers/amp combos that I've used over the years (Rotel, Elektra, ME, VAF I-93, Orpheus Aurora III, Equinox Apogee, crappy JB HiFi floorstanders, etc).

Looks like I'm gunna need to get a subwoofer to fill in the bottom end for movie playback.

--Geoff

Subwoofers are essential for home theatre! The bass requirements for HT far surpass the requirements for bass in music.

Im not surprised that the CXF4's couldn't hand the HT LFE channel and wouldn't expect them to.

If your looking at getting a sub the Seaton Submersive would make a great off the shelf sub :) A custom Exodus driver sub would also tick a lot of boxes :)

Say hello to Stuart for us.

G'day,

Stuart is coming up tomorrow to tweak things, so I'll comment on the sound then.

One thing though: the kiddies put on "Finding Nemo" DVD and there's loud bass transients aplenty in that movie (submarines crashing against rocks, the fishtank tapping scene, etc). These transients caused the amps in the CX4F to go into protection mode about 5 or 6 times. Apparently the amps go into protection mode whenever there are very low frequencies at very loud SPLs. I'm not privy yet to the exact cutoff points for the CX4F in this regard, but using my crappy Radio Shack sound level meter I noted that the dialogue was around 65-75db and the transients up around 95db, and probably went down to 20Hz or lower.

I don't have a subwoofer, but I had to set a subwoofer cutoff point of 40Hz on the AVR (the lowest setting) to prevent the CX4F amps from going into protected mode. The rated specs of the CX4F are 28Hz - 20kHz, so it seems a shame to be losing all sound in the 28Hz - 40Hz range when playing movies (I haven't set any cutoff when playing music). I've not had to do this with any speakers/amp combos that I've used over the years (Rotel, Elektra, ME, VAF I-93, Orpheus Aurora III, Equinox Apogee, crappy JB HiFi floorstanders, etc).

Looks like I'm gunna need to get a subwoofer to fill in the bottom end for movie playback.

--Geoff

G'day,

Im not surprised that the CXF4's couldn't hand the HT LFE channel and wouldn't expect them to.

I guess I thought there would be some kind of SPL roll-off towards the bottom of the frequency curve, so that anything below the stated minimum of 28Hz would be at much lower SPL, or even a hard cut-off at that point, rather than cutting out completely.

--Geoff

G'day,

I guess I thought there would be some kind of SPL roll-off towards the bottom of the frequency curve, so that anything below the stated minimum of 28Hz would be at much lower SPL, or even a hard cut-off at that point, rather than cutting out completely.

--Geoff

when I was over at noprus' when he got the new amps for the octagons, he cranked it a bit for a bit of fun and the amps shut down as well, think it was either the top or mid amps or was it bass cant remember to be honest. I dont ever remember that happening on his previous amps, anyways perhaps its a protection thing too ? from what I remember they got up the lights and if peaked past that shut down. so perhaps setup to shut down rather than do damage which is a good thing. maybe have a chat to sgr re their setup ?

when I was over at noprus' when he got the new amps for the octagons, he cranked it a bit for a bit of fun and the amps shut down as well, think it was either the top or mid amps or was it bass cant remember to be honest. I dont ever remember that happening on his previous amps, anyways perhaps its a protection thing too ? from what I remember they got up the lights and if peaked past that shut down. so perhaps setup to shut down rather than do damage which is a good thing. maybe have a chat to sgr re their setup ?

From memory thats correct. Its the protection circuitry in the new amps that protect against speaker damage due to excessive clipping. The older amps that Norpus had and the ones I have (until i get the new amps) do not have the protection circuitry hence no auto shutdown if things are getting out of hand.

And with norpus' it would be the bass amp that ran out of steam, if it was the mids or treble it would have been ear bleeding type of stuff.

The MT3F's and Octagons all have separate amps with separate power supply's for each passband in the 3-way speakers. Whereas the Convex series and the MT3FSL's have one power supply per speaker which is share among each of the amp channels for each passband.