Sign in to follow this  
HarbethRob

The virtues and rewards of buying australian made hi fi components

42 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Not knocking Oz gear, but most of it is boutique stuff, which IME has poor resale value.  Most of it can only be resold through this forum as this is the pretty much the only place that most of it is known.   So, my advice is to make sure it's a keeper when you buy it because you may take a huge hit selling it later, or buy secondhand.   Just sayin'......

Do you have information or personal experience to support this?  Is being a boutique manufacturer on SNA, with such a large audience and an active classifieds a bad thing?  A good product, regardless of whether it is Oz or not, will have resale value.

As an example of a boutique manufacturer,  Gieseler Audio's products do well when they hit the classifieds...  

A lot of it is boutique cottage industry yes.

ive seen few people turn up nose when there isn’t a fancy website or glowing overseas reviews, and adds in overseas magazines.

but heck I’d rather the sound quality without having to pay for all that and the middle men to get here.

It’s not always a given though some larger manufacturers can do well with scale and resources, so it’s not always an Aussie only affair for me . LikeInfact it’s more rarity than the norm. But happy to support where think makes sense :) like anyone I also have a wallet that can only afford an occasional flutter that isn’t moths :D 

Ps re hifi and resale ... sorry but there are probably better investments :P

Yes, that is a hard one Mani. Dropping a lot of money on something that you have never heard - cuts across the old axiom try before you buy etc so it would best to hear one.

When I look back over my own experience with some high end gear I have to say that I have done pretty well out of buying without trying. I have needed to because of where I live.  Stuff I still love  red cinema camera ( a huge punt), the best mic preamp (pendulum audio), the best speakers (harbeths) and so on have all been bought on recommendations of people I trust. Also made a few expensive errors based on people shamelessly talking gear up.  I still  agree with listening first to audio gear - it is just so subjective.

I keep banging on about Holton power amplifiers and how good they are - I promise I dont know Anthony from a bar of soap and that he has not paid me . I just own one of his amps.  My only regret is that I did not buy his higher end stuff which I now see he has on special on his website for much lower prices eg Anteos or the monbolock he has on there. I would need to sell the one I have to do that.
Ok harbethrob The holton amp , I have been reading about this I'm for the last 3 months now. I was recommend by Anthony that the 0500 amp would match up well with the speakers. I have been putting money away for this amp and I'm getting close to it . I hope this amp is a keeper harbethrob.

On 09/04/2018 at 10:55 AM, Ian McP said:

Open Audio Designs

excellent sounding gear indeed!

https://www.openaudiodesigns.com/

I have said before, there’s nothing like home-made!  I have one of Jon De Sensi’s OAD Power Amps, and it’s incredibly good.  Here’s the “local” experience:

- I bought a Music Labs integrated amp in about 1997.  Was a fortune for a poor young-‘un, but I purchased on audition, and it beat anything in the price range at the time.  I used to joke that the manual referred to a “20 year warranty”!

- so I run into Jon De Sensi (having never actually known him) by chance through various circles (Melboune’s a small town), and I tell him that my little amp is going strong after surviving countless share houses, parties and daily use.  In passing, I mention a slightly dicky selector switch, and even though out of warranty by one year (21 years!!!!), Jon insisted he fix it under warranty!

- additionally, he “gives” me an OAD to try.  No obligation - just my thoughts.  I was able to keep it as long as I wanted.  Suffice to say it’s now a permanent addition.

try doing THAT with an overseas brand.....,

On 4/8/2018 at 7:27 PM, rantan said:

but don't expect too much from the RG player.

You have mentioned this before too when we were discussing RG's amps.

I'd be interested to know more details about same, PM if needed.

JSmith :ninja:

6 hours ago, Mani said:
On 08/04/2018 at 11:24 AM, HarbethRob said:
Yes, that is a hard one Mani. Dropping a lot of money on something that you have never heard - cuts across the old axiom try before you buy etc so it would best to hear one.

When I look back over my own experience with some high end gear I have to say that I have done pretty well out of buying without trying. I have needed to because of where I live.  Stuff I still love  red cinema camera ( a huge punt), the best mic preamp (pendulum audio), the best speakers (harbeths) and so on have all been bought on recommendations of people I trust. Also made a few expensive errors based on people shamelessly talking gear up.  I still  agree with listening first to audio gear - it is just so subjective.

I keep banging on about Holton power amplifiers and how good they are - I promise I dont know Anthony from a bar of soap and that he has not paid me emoji4.png. I just own one of his amps.  My only regret is that I did not buy his higher end stuff which I now see he has on special on his website for much lower prices eg Anteos or the monbolock he has on there. I would need to sell the one I have to do that.

Read more  

Ok harbethrob The holton amp , I have been reading about this I'm for the last 3 months now. I was recommend by Anthony that the 0500 amp would match up well with the speakers. I have been putting money away for this amp and I'm getting close to it . I hope this amp is a keeper harbethrob.

That is essentially a 300 watt version of the same amp I have (I have the 200 watt ). It is a superb amplifier. What preamp do you think that you will be using with it or will you be driving it from a DAC with built in pre? I did the latter for some time and it worked very well. A tube preamp has added another level of excellence. However, the characteristic sound signature of the Holton always shines through - rich, dynamic and thrilling. Ha ha, there I go again, waxing lyrical about it.

I see that you have Legend speakers. I have always wondered about those speakers and would love to hear them some time. 

That is essentially a 300 watt version of the same amp I have (I have the 200 watt ). It is a superb amplifier. What preamp do you think that you will be using with it or will you be driving it from a DAC with built in pre? I did the latter for some time and it worked very well. A tube preamp has added another level of excellence. However, the characteristic sound signature of the Holton always shines through - rich, dynamic and thrilling. Ha ha, there I go again, waxing lyrical about it.

I see that you have Legend speakers. I have always wondered about those speakers and would love to hear them some time. 
Mr Holton makes some very nice amplifiers. Still does kits if you ask nicely apparently.

At the moment I have a cyrus 8 intergate amp thinking of using them as pre amp until I have enough money to upgrade. The kantu is a very accurate speaker with great bass control imaging like a book shelf speaker very easy to listen to. From what you have described the characteristics
sound of the holton could well be a good match for the kantu. Mani.

really enjoying passively watching this thread and visiting the vendors mentioned . hopefully around end of the year I'll be in a position to build a purely music focused stereo system. Its forming in my head already with local products featuring heavily. definitely will be looking to SNA for advices and good buys on the classifieds 

Hi Rob,

Interesting post on Australian made components. I am interested in your journey given that you are very much into a non-Oz speaker maker.

I am getting back into hi fi and am on a steep learning curve.What does confuse me is that there is plenty of info at a component level yet so much of the listening experience seems to be dependent on component matching and the room acoustics. 

What would be your approach if you were starting out afresh?

cheers, PaulG

Hi Paul 

Happy to comment on my journey and hopefully save you some money . The usual caveats - this is my experience and represents my sensibilities. I listen pretty much exclusively to classical music  right across the board from delicate sounding acoustic intruments to massive orchestral music. Also, there would be people here on stereonet who have  a tremendous depth of experience, far greater than mine and have spent a lot more money than me. But I do have enthusiam on my side :)

I have to agree that system matching and synergy is critical as is room acoustics. The former is a black art really and luck probably plays a big part. 

1. I have built my system around my speakers. I really like Harbeth speakers. I have super hl5s. If my room was big enough (and I had the cash) I would definitely buy the 40.1. The fact that I like Harbeths reflects the fact that I like a full bodied rich sound. I have gone down the other track - lean, analytical - it was expensive and I just did not enjoy the sound. I have heard quite a few modern sounding hifi speakers which have a much leaner sound and cannot tolerate them. There are definite limits to my experience here - for example, I would love to hear so called full range speakers. 

2. Concerning solid state, you would have gathered that I have discovered the Anthony Holton SState amps. Anthony is the real deal.  These are very refined amplifiers and it is hard for me to imagine that they could disappoint anyone. I have tried all sorts of amplifiers in the past and have been a pretty dedicated valve guy but have never quite found the right tube amp. VTL was great but very expensive now. Prima Luna tube amps - I tried hard to like this amplifier but just could not. A lean sound that strips a lot of the joy from the music to my ears - I stress to my ears. I dont want to disrespect the fact that apparently thousands of people throughout the world love these amplifiers.  I have ordered a Weston Acoustic tube amp from earle weston and it should be here by June. I like to have both a solid state and  a tube  amp as this keeps the music fresh. Tube amps have a big holographic three D sound that I like. 

3. I have discovered that the old wisdom of pairing the solid state amp with a good active preamp really can raise your system to another level. I bought a second hand  Bel Canto Pre 3  off Stereo net for about $1200 and it has been fabulous. Also, I have paired the Holton with a tube preamp made by Mark Houston of Retro Thermionic and that has been pretty incredible given that it cost me $350! Adds a big tube sound.  I was looking to get an Elektra which is made in melbourne as i have heard very good things about it. 

3. I play CDs from a dedicated CD spinner and send the signal to an external DAC. I am not interested in streaming music off a server or having my entire music collection on a usb stick. However, the whole DAC search  can drive one insane as there just so many possibilities out there.  One good thing is that they regularly come up second hand on stereonet as people become bored and for very reasonable prices - as they should last decades, it is great to buy used. I have blown a lot of money on trying to find the right DAC and in the end I stayed with three: 1. Lavry D10/11 - you can buy one second hand for about $400. Excellent rich sound. 2. Benchmark DAC 1 (or 2 or 3) - this cuts across what I was saying about analytical because it is quite analytical but I always come back to the Benchmark. Incredible DAC  really and when paired with the richer sounding amp it is really an experience.3. Rega DAC - version one you can buy for about $400. A really good DAC. 

4. I really love my Clearaudio Performance Turntable. MM Maestro cartridge. A  thrilling machine. If you have an LP collection, then analogue is the way to go. 

5. Phono stages - Manly chinook is a very very good phono stage. Also, I bought a retro thermionic (australian) MM Carbon phono stage for very little  and that is quite simply one of the best bargains I have ever had. 

Buying used on Stereonet has been a very rewarding experience and saved me a lot of money.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Rob

Edited by HarbethRob
syntax

On 11/04/2018 at 11:44 AM, Peter_F said:

Not knocking Oz gear, but most of it is boutique stuff, which IME has poor resale value.  Most of it can only be resold through this forum as this is the pretty much the only place that most of it is known.   So, my advice is to make sure it's a keeper when you buy it because you may take a huge hit selling it later, or buy secondhand.   Just sayin'......

If you like it, why would you sell it?

I don’t care much about patriotic zeal for Aussie products - we’re already one of the richest countries in the world and I believe it’s a good thing that manufacturing wealth gets shared around the globe. But there’s no doubt that it is a huge bonus and pleasure to order, wait for, and own stuff made by a craftsman/woman who lives and works just up the road.

I have owned several australian amps: a Hugh Dean Swift GK1 pre, an Elektra Reference power and Elektra pre, and a Weston Acoustics Topaz KT 120. They are all really fine keeper products and I can easily justify them in terms of SQ and value for money compared to other more famous international brand amps.

Small is beautiful (when driven by talent).

29 minutes ago, buddyev said:

I don’t care much about patriotic zeal for Aussie products - we’re already one of the richest countries in the world

What the? Are you talking about 'average Australians'?  Rich in what way? Have you been on Mars? Or are you detatched from the reality that the majority of Australians find themselves in because you're living in a well paid comfortable bubble or, god forbid, a shareholder? Just askin'. We are told we are a rich country.....it's just a pity that it's only a tiny privileged minority that actually benefit from this 'richness' you talk about......and I challenge your implication that this country has benefited by the 'sharing' of our manufacturing around the globe.

Edited by stevoz

8 minutes ago, stevoz said:

What the? Are you talking about 'average Australians'?  Rich in what way? Have you been on Mars? Or are you detatched from the reality that the majority of Australians find themselves in because you're living in a well paid comfortable bubble? Just askin'. We are told we are a rich country.....it's just a pity that it's only a privileged tiny minority that actually benefit from this 'richness' you talk about......

Unfortunately l haven't been on Mars but I've spent a good proportion of my life in various less wealthy (and dirt poor) parts of this planet.

Richness, of course, is a relative thing. I still believe most Australians are relatively well off compared to most people alive today on this planet and most people who have ever lived on this planet. Australians, in general, are part of the privileged tiny minority you speak of.

Edited by buddyev

Having spent a good part of life in a developing country... yes we are quite privileged here

just look around where ever sitting right now and look above to see roof and ceiling above you things around you, think of your life style what and would soon realise we are pretty privileged vs a lot many of worlds population not so lucky. it still is the lucky country.

and yes we are also rich in wealth in other senses eg with other cultures, freedoms, opportunities etc.

sometimes we just down realise just how lucky we are ! :)

anyways getting back to aussie made gear ... one of the other luxuries of living in this country in the low price and availability given we live here.