Sign in to follow this  
HarbethRob

The virtues and rewards of buying australian made hi fi components

21 minutes ago, Interface said:

I would love to have a totally Australian made system. As you can see in my signature I’m about half way there. I’m not aware of an Aussie TT or cd player so I might not reach my goal. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I am also very interested in Holton amps and eagerly await the arrival of the integrated amps.

It was suggested by @:) al     for me to submit my thoughts on the Elektra. I have not done it yet but it will happen. Let’s just say I’m glad I bought it.

The Mimic phono pre by @mwhouston  amazed me. Surely it would have to be close to, if not the best bang for buck phono pre out there.

I am very happy with the Orpheus Auroras @Kiat  A very easy listen and with the Elektra pushing them, amaze me with the amount of bass they can produce.

I have ordered some xlr cables from @Bill125812   to check them out. Add Thoroughbred power cables into the mix as well.

Some of the rewards for buying Australian would be - dollars stay in Australia, keeps people employed, possibility of export and be proud to buy Australian. I must admit I’m feeling pretty virtuous at the moment.

I’m proud to have Aussie made hi fi gear and will continue to support Aussie made gear where I can.

Cheers,

Interface

(Good subject to put my hundredth post on.:))

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/continuum-debuts-first-new-turntable-more-five-years

http://www.continuumaudiolabs.com/

Here you go mate. :)

Edited by Pops110

From my perspective at least, I do not buy for patriotic reasons. I am afraid I am not much of a patriot!

I am commenting strictly on just how good the gear sounds

Edited by HarbethRob

34 minutes ago, HarbethRob said:

From my perspective at least, I do not buy for patriotic reasons. I am afraid I am not much of a patriot!

I am commenting strictly on just how good the gear sounds

I bought Aussie gear not because of patriotic reasons, but because the gear sounded good. 

45 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I bought Aussie gear not because of patriotic reasons, but because the gear sounded good. 

I reckon in many cases because you are often dealing directly with the manufacturer, the value is so much better too. 

You don't have import costs, distributor costs, retailer costs etc

Some mentions

Clay Gieseler’s range of DACs and power supplies

Joe Rasmussen and his various gear (for me the Oppo upgrades) but phono and amp mods as well.

18 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I reckon in many cases because you are often dealing directly with the manufacturer, the value is so much better too. 

You don't have import costs, distributor costs, retailer costs etc

Yes. Highly significant.  Further, the value  tends to go into what is important -internal components and design.

Also, the manfucturer is much more likely to be open to adding options and making changes that may want. 

I've had no complaints with my Symfonia Opus-10 power amp, made and designed in Melbourne in the 1990's. 

Don't forget the wonderful turntable heritage of Melbourne and Hobart - The Commonwealth, Byer, Argo, Orpheus Silex. 

Another current Aussie tt is Once Analog which have some good reviews and Vince is a nice guy to deal with as well.

On ‎8‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, Interface said:

Orpheus Auroras

Have heard these... can't think of anything that comes close for over double the price and Kiat uses quality parts with methodical design and testing.

The Duntech range are also superb.

JSmith :ninja:

Aussies have done OK out of me, that being Aaron, Subsonic, Legend (X2), DEQX, Screen Technics.

Do genuine Jaycar speaker cables count? :lol:

Edited by Satanica

Like wise I got two pairs of legend speakers and a redgum amp. I love the legend sound and build quality is nothing short of fantastic and rod is such a gentleman to deal with. Mani

Hugh Dean makes a range of well priced and fine sounding gear

http://www.aksaonline.com/

the NAKSA, SASKA and Maya power amps, also a pre, head amp and speaker kit

read what owners have to say:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/296343-aksa-paris-phono-pre-amp-aka-head-amp-available.html

regards Ian

Not knocking Oz gear, but most of it is boutique stuff, which IME has poor resale value.  Most of it can only be resold through this forum as this is the pretty much the only place that most of it is known.   So, my advice is to make sure it's a keeper when you buy it because you may take a huge hit selling it later, or buy secondhand.   Just sayin'......

8 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Not knocking Oz gear, but most of it is boutique stuff, which IME has poor resale value.  Most of it can only be resold through this forum as this is the pretty much the only place that most of it is known.   So, my advice is to make sure it's a keeper when you buy it because you may take a huge hit selling it later, or buy secondhand.   Just sayin'......

And you can be proven wrong, very, very easily. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aussieamps
      Item: Holton  Dual Mono Bloc Power Amplifier
      Price: $5800.00 ONO Including shipping around Australia
      Item Condition: Excellent EX-Demo
      Reason for selling:
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Direct Deposit, Credit Card
      Extra Info:

This is a magnificent power amplifier, CNC machined from 10mm plate aviation grade aluminium.
      Machined in Poland and anodised in Austria. You will not find many bespoke amplifiers like this one.
      Developing 500 watts RMS per channel it will drive almost any loudspeaker out there with amazing detail and clarity
      that Holton amplifiers are known for.
      price includes shipment and insurance within Australia.
      Happy to ship internationally for any interested buyer.
      Dimensions are 450mm x 250mm x 270mm
      Weight: 35kg

Holton 501 Dual Mono Bloc Specifications
      300 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 8 Ω 500 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 4 Ω 2 Ω Stable Biased into Class A/B Power Bandwidth 3.5hz to 250khz -3dB Dampening Factor At 100hz 8Ω = 800 RCA Single ended Input impedance 20kΩ Differential Input Impedance = 40kΩ Single Ended Input Gain = 30.6dB Differential Input Gain = 36.6dB SNR -105dB THD-N = 0.005% @ 10 watts 8 Ohms Quad winding 2KVA toroidal power transformer 200VA separate input stage toroidal power transformer 80,000uf per channel supply storage. total of 160,000uf on board High powered Solid State output relays for silent turn on/off and loudspeaker protection Electronic Regulation on input driver stages 12 volt trigger remote power on/off XLR/RCA inputs ETI Kryo Binding Posts Extra Heavy Duty Two ounce copper gold plated printed circuit boards Rugged Dual Die Lateral MOSFET Output Stage  

Pictures:

• By Aussieamps
      Item: Holton One-Zero-Zero Power Amplifier
      Price: $2090.00 ($2490.00 Retail) or make an offer!
      Item Condition:Brand New (3YR Warranty)
      Reason for selling: Christmas Special
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Direct deposit, Credit Card
      Extra Info:

I have for Sale two only Holton One-Zero-Zero power amplifiers.
      Normal price is $2490.00 Sale price is $2190.00 including delivery Australia wide.
      These are the amplifiers as seen and heard at the International HiFi Show 2017.

Power Output 2 x 100 watts into 8 Ohms and 2 x 160 Watts 4 Ohms Class A/B Fully Balanced Circuit Topology 2 Ohm permissible XLR balanced inputs with the option of RCA inputs. Great sounding circuit topology that Holton amplifiers are known for. 80,000uf of DC supply filtering in the standard model Bridgeable into a high power mono block amplifier. On board AC power controller with Inrush current limiting soft start. Lightning fast loudspeaker protection. Super quiet turn on and turn off. 12 volt trigger remote power on/off option. Precision full aluminum chassis with CNC milled AL front panel. Weight 10kg  

Pictures:

• By Aussieamps
      Item: Holton Five-Zero-Zero Power Amplifier
      Price: $3990.00 - $4990.00 Including Delivery
      Item Condition: New
      Reason for selling: Sale
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Direct Deposit, Credit Card
      Extra Info: I have one only available Holton 500 special build power amplifier for sale.
      The version of the Holton 500 has some of the features only found in the more expensive Holton Supreme power amplifier.
      1200VA Toroidal power transformer.
      16 x Dual Die Power MOSFETs for excellent 2 ohm load continuous handling.
      This is a great opportunity to get a special build Holton amplifier at a bargain price.
      The price includes free delivery Australia wide.

Holton Five-Zero-Zero Specifications
      300 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 8 Ω 500 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 4 Ω 2 Ω Continuous Biased into Class A/B Power Bandwidth 3.5hz to 250khz -3dB Dampening Factor At 100hz 8Ω = 1300 RCA Single ended Input impedance 20kΩ Differential Input Impedance = 40kΩ Single Ended Input Gain = 30.6dB Differential Input Gain = 33.8dB SNR -110dB THD-N = 0.005% @ 100 watts 8 Ohms Unconditionally Stable into any load from 2 ohm loads and up High powered Solid State output relays for silent turn on/off and loudspeaker protection Extra Heavy Duty Two ounce copper gold plated printed circuit boards 12v trigger power on/off
      Pictures:

• By Aussieamps
      I have for Sale two only Holton One-Zero-Zero power amplifiers.
      Normal price is $2490.00 Sale price is $2090.00 including delivery Australia wide or make an offer!
      These are the amplifiers as seen and heard at the International HiFi Show 2017.

Power Output 2 x 100 watts into 8 Ohms and 2 x 160 Watts 4 Ohms Class A/B Fully Balanced Circuit Topology 2 Ohm permissible XLR balanced inputs with the option of RCA inputs. Great sounding circuit topology that Holton amplifiers are known for. 80,000uf of DC supply filtering in the standard model Bridgeable into a high power mono block amplifier. On board AC power controller with Inrush current limiting soft start. Lightning fast loudspeaker protection. Super quiet turn on and turn off. 12 volt trigger remote power on/off option. Precision full aluminum chassis with CNC milled AL front panel.  

• By Aussieamps
      Item: Holton 501 Dual Monobloc Power Amplifier
      Price: $6490.00 ONO Including shipment within Australia
      Item Condition: Excellent, With 3 year back to base Warranty
      Reason for selling: Sale
      Payment Method: Pickup, Direct deposit, Credit or Debit Card
      Extra Info:
      This is a magnificent power amplifier, CNC machined from 10mm plate aviation grade aluminium.
      Machined in Poland and anodised in Austria. You will not find many bespoke amplifiers like this one.
      Developing 500 watts RMS per channel it will drive almost any loudspeaker out there with amazing detail and clarity
      that Holton amplifiers are known for.
      price includes shipment and insurance within Australia.
      Happy to ship internationally for any interested buyer.
      Dimensions are 450mm x 250mm x 270mm
      Weight: 30kg

Holton 501 Dual Mono Bloc Specifications
      300 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 8 Ω 500 Watts RMS continuous sine wave into 4 Ω 2 Ω Stable Biased into Class A/B Power Bandwidth 3.5hz to 250khz -3dB Dampening Factor At 100hz 8Ω = 800 RCA Single ended Input impedance 20kΩ Differential Input Impedance = 40kΩ Single Ended Input Gain = 30.6dB Differential Input Gain = 36.6dB SNR -105dB THD-N = 0.005% @ 10 watts 8 Ohms Quad winding 2KVA toroidal power transformer 200VA separate input stage toroidal power transformer 80,000uf per channel supply storage. total of 160,000uf on board High powered Solid State output relays for silent turn on/off and loudspeaker protection Electronic Regulation on input driver stages 12 volt trigger remote power on/off XLR/RCA inputs ETI Kryo Binding Posts Extra Heavy Duty Two ounce copper gold plated printed circuit boards Rugged Dual Die Lateral MOSFET Output Stage  

Pictures: