The virtues and rewards of buying australian made hi fi components

This conversation is  feeding into my deep pessimism about the growing inequality in this country ... I will have to snap out of it and put on an LP.

Interesting to see another dimension to Stereonet users. Not just preoccupied with stereo gear after all.

I agree with the sentiments below. I like supporting local craftsman/woman.

I have always had my eye on the Elecktra Pre. I like Pres with a big personality. Big bold, dynamic and colourful. Does Elektra fit the bill?

56 minutes ago, buddyev said:

I don’t care much about patriotic zeal for Aussie products - we’re already one of the richest countries in the world and I believe it’s a good thing that manufacturing wealth gets shared around the globe. But there’s no doubt that it is a huge bonus and pleasure to order, wait for, and own stuff made by a craftsman/woman who lives and works just up the road.

I have owned several australian amps: a Hugh Dean Swift GK1 pre, an Elektra Reference power and Elektra pre, and a Weston Acoustics Topaz KT 120. They are all really fine keeper products and I can easily justify them in terms of SQ and value for money compared to other more famous international brand amps.

Small is beautiful (when driven by talent).

20 minutes ago, stevoz said:

@:) al It could well still be 'the lucky country' but it's increasingly becoming only 'lucky for some'......but you're right, back to Aussie made gear.?

Travelled much Steve? As much as I resent some of the changes to the Australian economy over the last 5-10 years, we are still "the lucky country". We have a diversity of culture not seen elsewhere. Try going to any other country in the world and go to a restaurant precinct and see more than 2 or 3 cuisine choices. We have dozens in most suburbs of our larger cities. We also have pretty good job security and average wages most countries would kill for.

We have low unemployment, political stability, no warring neighbours, space to spare and our climate is superb. Sure our cost of living is decreasing thru corporate greed, but do you think all other countries are immune to it? Multinationals will suck us dry, it's just that there is more here for them to suck out of us...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, blybo said:

We have low unemployment, political stability, no warring neighbours, space to spare and our climate is superb. Sure our cost of living is decreasing thru corporate greed, but do you think all other countries are immune to it? Multinationals will suck us dry, it's just that there is more here for them to suck out of us..

Political stability? 

How many PM's in the last 10 years?

Yes this part of the world is wealthy on so many fronts, cash may not be at the top of your list buts its just one of them. Sadly though one of the freedoms we all cherish is being eroded, thats free speech.  I often ask myself how can the minority have so much power in the world? One person doesn't like something so we all have to change, you don't like it, get over it or better still don't come here.

Back to Aussie HiFi, I'm a supporter - Weston Topaz - Azura horns and my second Gieseler DAC.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nzlowie said:

Political stability? 

How many PM's in the last 10 years?

That is not the definition of political instability. The better question would be how many overthrown governments or dictatorships have we had in our entire history?

Anyway. back to the topic. I've owned and loved Whatmough and Elektra gear and would love to own more Aussie made in the future, as long as it is quality gear.

1 hour ago, HarbethRob said:

I have always had my eye on the Elecktra Pre. I like Pres with a big personality. Big bold, dynamic and colourful. Does Elektra fit the bill?

I don't think you'd be disappointed I had Harbeth's for a long time moved up to big Spendor's now, the Elektra pre is an excellent unit it controls a valve and solid state biamp setup, it all gels well.

2 hours ago, HarbethRob said:

I don’t know that I’d say the Elektra has a big personality - it seems to do what it’s required to do without imposing any particular character. I have the older version.

I had a Swift GK1 pre previously and it was very nice and smooth and the system as a whole was a bit polite. But it’s hard to meaningfully compare the 2 pres because when I got the Elektra pre I moved it with the system to another room and it’s all together more lively and interesting. My immediate impression - very unscientific - was that the Elektra was bigger and more dynamic.  That may have been down to the specific valves, the room, the couch ...

anyway, I like the Elektra pre/power combo very much.

I will be in the market for a new dac shortly and will certainly check out the Gieseler 

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BATMAQN said:

I don't think you'd be disappointed I had Harbeth's for a long time moved up to big Spendor's now, the Elektra pre is an excellent unit it controls a valve and solid state biamp setup, it all gels well.

Now you have me intrigued. Which Spendors are you referring to? I know that there is a family relationship between Harbeths and Spendors but have not had the opportunity to ever hear spendors.

Rob

48 minutes ago, HarbethRob said:

Now you have me intrigued. Which Spendors are you referring to? I know that there is a family relationship between Harbeths and Spendors but have not had the opportunity to ever hear spendors.

Rob

Well as I usually do I would offer to have you around for a listen but obviously not this time you being in Perth.

I have the SP100 similar size to the 40.1 (I haven't heard the 40.1) I had the SHL5 for about two years loved them but found I got bored plus I had too many speakers at the time so they went to an SNA member recently nice fellow too, anyway I can't help you with a comparison all I can say I'm very happy with them they suit what I want to listen too and well isn't that what the end game is all about.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I still have my VAF i91's I purchased in 2009 in place in my living room, each time I move up a level in some component they continue to reward me and they have certainly grown with my system.

I heard their new smaller version last year at the hifi show and was really impressed. One thing which is frustrating is there are generally less reviews of aussie products online which is to be expected.

I felt good when I purchased them that I was supporting local manufacturers and those they employ, it was a double bonus they are a speaker which really pleases me.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
22 hours ago, Irek said:

It would be nice if Australian hifi can be auditioned on YouTube. I heard more and more people are listening to hifi on YouTube before buying online. 

There's a video of Osborn speakers on YouTube. Bears no sonic resemblance to the real thing at all. I'd suggest your sentence should end 'and being thoroughly disappointed".

7 hours ago, astormsau said:

One thing which is frustrating is there are generally less reviews of aussie products online which is to be expected.

Australian HiFi magazine (and I presume it's companion Sound+Vision) has a policy of not reviewing products sold directly. This may have had its place but is now archaic. How many good quality Australian products do they ignore as a result?

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Between my father and I, we’ve had a few items from Australian manufacturers.

I’ve owned Whise HA-1500 hybrid ESLs (ok, a team up with Australia and Japan) and I currently use a pair of Benchmark monoblocks which I am very happy with.

My father has a collection of Redgum power amps, a rather nice two box valve preamp from Tasmania (not sure of the brand) and some active 6’ four enclosure ribbon hybrid speakers made in Victoria.

We ended up with these pieces through sheer opportunity and because they’re actually very good compared to the many other products we’ve owned previously.

We live in a modern global economy. This comes with benefits and loses in many forms. Affordable all types of things that improve our standard of living but often to the detriment of other global citizens. $5 t-shirts are usually the result of others working in appalling conditions. By the same token, the industrialisation of developing economies can pull entire generations out of poverty, unfortunately  often with catastrophic environmental costs. Our economy has seen a dramatic change from manufacturing to service based products but on the whole we have enjoyed low unemployment, low inflation and an improvement in our standard of living. Forces I don’t pretend to understand may mean the present generation may never be able to afford a home to put them in.

Now what has all this to do with HiFi? Most of us have our purchasing choices primarily dictated by cost. We all search for the greatest sonic return for our dollar. I feel that in terms of return for investment locally produced speakers can compete very favourably with any product from the world market. A completed speaker is often a large, heavy ,awkward load to transport, therefore expensive to ship prior to the inclusion of import duties, distributor costs and other “middle men”. What a humongous Osborn Speaker imported from the US would cost landed I would shudder to think.

We are fortunate to have a number of world class speaker manufacturers, Krix, Osborn, Ledgend,VAF, Ambience, Whatmough. The ability to be able to have the manufacturer service your speaker , answer your questions, help with installation are valuable assets in and of themselves. 

I was was fortunate to be able to gain lots of valuable information from Tony Moore the designer and builder of Ambience Speakers ,even when buying second hand products. Dr Rod from Ledgend sent me spikes for my Kurlo free when I inquired what size was required, again on a second hand unit. I purchased these products purely on sonic and economic grounds but benefited from their local production.

We must also be honest with ourselves. I don’t think any local manufacturers build their own drivers, even though they may be built to their specifications. The same is true of the components used in their crossovers, they may or may not be of local manufacture but more likely sourced from an international company. The wood used may or may not be Australian grown. We benefit from the world economy enabling a local company to build an affordable, world class product.

I don’t comment on local amplifiers as I have had little experience with them but once again I am sure some, most ,of the components used come from all over the globe. If they meet your sonic, cost, needs then grab them with both hands and support an Australian small business. The ongoing success of Weston, Cymer ,et al show that we can compete successfully with international brands. 

The most  important thing is not to ignore our local manufacturers. Make sure whenever possible to hear this great equipment, it might just end up being that you buy a local product because it represents the best sound for your money and at the same time you will be supporting a small business.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The Gieseler DAC's are fantastic and Clays backup support is excellent. 

I had the opportunity to hear a Lenehan ML5 when I first got the Gieseler Groß DAC and if I ever come into some $ I'm getting a pair. They're better than my Aurum Cantus speakers.

Likewise I'd really like to get a Weston Acoustics Tempest amp to replace my Oldchen KT88-K3. The Oldchen requires regular check ups to ensure it doesn't blow up so I've discovered it's something of a false economy unless you can do the work yourself. Taking it in for a recap and to find out why 6 resistors appear discoloured. That said it sounds wonderful....  Once more if I'd just spent more on the initial purchase and bought a Tempest I wouldn't need to go through this.

Ah well. Live and learn I guess.

• Like 1

I'm all set on investing in Aussie product offerings but its still early days in my audio journey, so I'm not necessarily across what i want as a listener let alone making the most of the spectrum of options available.

i've been looking to get  stereo speakers once our home purchase and move campaign is over. budget up to $3k. Floor standers with good base extension into the 20s hertz wise. primarily for music but also A/V duties.

on my short list: 

The VAF's are on sale so I might pull the trigger even though they might not get set up in earnest for several months (pending approvals)

thoughts and one? 

On 08/04/2018 at 11:03 AM, HarbethRob said:

Until recently I had never really owned australian made gear with the exception of Watmough speakers some years ago. I was  admiring of ME amplifiers owned by a friend.

Recently I bought a Holton power amp and have been very impressed (increasingly so as it listen more and more). 

More recently I have purchased several pieces by Mark Houston of Retro Thermionic based in Victoria I believe. First I asked Mark to make me a Mimic Carbon MM phono stage.  That was loads of fun with Mark sending me photos as he built it. Next I bought a Parley hybrid tube solid state made by Mark specifically to drive low impedance solid state amps such as the Holton  (the parley was bought used off this site). These are my impressions of both components. Not reviews - just a few thoughts.

The MM phono stage is  excellent.  I have another highly regarded tube phono stage in the $4,000 area and I enjoy the Mimic Carbon just as much. I am not going to reveal the cost of the Mimic (you can contact Mark) but it is a fraction of the cost of my other unit. The Mimic has a nice analogue personality.  I am not going to make claims for it other than it is a delight to listen to.  It is rich, warm, detailed and highly enjoyable - not lean, analytical etc I have to confess my bias here - I hate analytical cold sounding hifi gear. 

The Parley preamp next. I was surprised  the moment I turned it on and listened. This is a very simple design and highly effective. Clean, powerful, fast,  big dynamic  sound with lovely tube warmth. Easily drives the Holton. 

The combination of the MM phono stage and the preamp is lovely. Dense, rich substantial sound made for flesh and blood human beings - not the analytical, stripped bare type of sound. 

Quite a lot of gear as come and gone from my place (sometime very quickly!) - the Holton, and Retro stuff is staying.

The third and final bit of Australian gear - keenly waiting for one of Earle Weston's Topaz tube amps. 

I am really glad that I decided to buy some Australian made gear. It is exactly the sound that I have always been looking for and it was always there in my own backyard.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob 

Have you received your Topaz yet? I have one on order myself which is about 2 months overdue and l am buggered if l can get hold of Earle to get an update!

10 minutes ago, McCvinyl said:

Have you received your Topaz yet? I have one on order myself which is about 2 months overdue and l am buggered if l can get hold of Earle to get an update!

He's been a bit crook...

Out of curiosity, is there an Australian manufacturer doing a thin cabinet BBC-style Harbeth/ProAc/Spendor sort of speaker? Or is the market only big enough to sustain those few?

Seems like labour and material costs here would be the same as in the UK.

I think you can ask manufacturer to make a speaker with your desired widht. Basically the volume is much more important than W/H/D. As examples Osborne's centre speaker can be prepared as a bookshelf or small floorstander.

• Like 1