Bang for Buck Integrated for PMC

Guest Hensa
31 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Hey @Zaphod Beeblebrox. Have you ever seen a Marantz like this? To me it looks made up. Some parts are familar like the speaker terminals (No Bananas) and the pots, but the switches look strange.:huh: 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marantz-SH-A20-amplifier-rarest-Marantz/112720187234?hash=item1a3ea58f62:g:8RYAAOSwLsBZVjZc

There's some info here:

http://audio-database.com/MARANTZ/amp/sh-a20-e.html

Powerful beast at 130W into 8 Ohms.

22 hours ago, :) al said:

soem brands i found go nicely with my pmcs were cyrus, nad, musical fidelity so be sure to try.

particularly cyrus gos for quite a pittance 2nd hand (as I found out :( ) so is good buying 2nd hand can get near new for price of something you'd buy from the 90s ! :D  just keep an eye out. something like the 8x/8xpd woudl hit the spot 

I'll second the suggestion of looking at Cyrus...  I have upgraded to using a Pre and Monoblocs with my GB1s but they were very happy with the 6DAC for all but the neighbour-angering volume levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

So many weird things with that amp. The biggest problem I have is with the lettering on the front panel. It's not like any Marantz I've ever seen. The compliance plate looks right. I've certainly never seen that model, but the Japanese commonly build stuff for local consumption only. 

Totally agree mate.

22 minutes ago, PSherriff said:

I'll second the suggestion of looking at Cyrus...  I have upgraded to using a Pre and Monoblocs with my GB1s but they were very happy with the 6DAC for all but the neighbour-angering volume levels.

Cyrus2 and PSX. I remember running this with a pair of Duntech Sovereigns lol. Sounded better then the Accuphase Pre/Power I had on hand.

• Like 2

Guest Hensa
26 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I dont know. The buttons look like they are off an old Accuphase integrated.

Google images has numerous examples of it so definitely not a franken-amp. Agree that it does look quite un-Marantz-like though.

Definitely considering the AU7900 also have a lead on 717 any one have any experience with either, will they drive the PMCs I don’t consider PMC to be a difficult load but they certainly need clean power together the TL firing and I do like my music loud

Definitely considering the AU7900 also have a lead on 717 any one have any experience with either, will they drive the PMCs I don’t consider PMC to be a difficult load but they certainly need clean power together the TL firing and I do like my music loud
I have an AU-519 up for sale shortly .. 70w

Thanks all, temptation got the better of me and I had to see what all the fuss was about. Great 1st impressions very fast, clean and punchy certainly enough to keep the PMCs pushing along. Even ran some Skrillex and it held its own, don’t think the oringinal engineers 40 years ago would have invisioned their amp ever playing that hard [emoji57]

Would love to get it serviced any recommendation in Melbourne for a passionate tech

IMG_0109.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks all, temptation got the better of me and I had to see what all the fuss was about. Great 1st impressions very fast, clean and punchy certainly enough to keep the PMCs pushing along. Even ran some Skrillex and it held its own, don’t think the oringinal engineers 40 years ago would have invisioned their amp ever playing that hard [emoji57]

Would love to get it serviced any recommendation in Melbourne for a passionate tech

IMG_0109.thumb.jpg.03aa6f06224786447a510c42c974826b.jpg
Beautiful. Best looking series of sansui in my books.
  • Like 1

On 12/04/2018 at 1:27 PM, mpearce38 said:

Thanks,

Yes pretty wrapped with it so far. Are you still doing work on these. Would like to have it recapped but there is a real shortage of trusted repairs in VIC emoji853.png

Excellent!

Family and career progression means that I’ve slowed-down on my resto work in a big way. I’m unsure when I’ll have capacity to take on more work.