GT-1000 or Pioneer Pl-50L11?

Guest jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

How about a PL-70 Mr J?

I guess I'd be looking at something the same value or just less than the LP12. I don't want to spend a bunch more. 

Guest jakeyb77
8 minutes ago, charlie_bird said:

A bit off topic, but have you considered a Kenwood or Trio DD ? They are of the ilk and you may get better value for your money?

Not on my radar sorry 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2018 at 1:57 AM, Grizzly said:

I've never heard nor seen a GT unit. I have read (for whatever it is worth) that the tonearm is the weak spot, relatively speaking, on them.
@vintagejapan is likely to have experienced both.

I had the pleasure of owing both PL-50 and PL 70 and also the GT-2000. The GT-2000 and PL-70 were my favourites. Yamaha built was very solid,  the standard tonearm was the weak point though. You can modify them to accept better tonearms but I didn’t take that route. Sound was slightly darker but bass was one of best ones I heard on a table. 

PL-70 is very nice table. With a better tonearm. I had the detachable carbon S and straight arms. Lots of adjustments option on the tonearm. Personally liked the looks of it better. Could be because always wanted the P-3 Exclusive. The PL-70 was my main player for a long time. Excellent sounding table. 

If if you could afford the GT-2000 L with wood finish the better tonearm, gun metal platter and the cast iron base yeah. That would be the one to get. 

Guest jakeyb77
29 minutes ago, vintagejapan said:

I had the pleasure of owing both PL-50 and PL 70 and also the GT-2000. The GT-2000 and PL-70 were my favourites. Yamaha built was very solid,  the standard tonearm was the weak point though. You can modify them to accept better tonearms but I didn’t take that route. Sound was slightly darker but bass was one of best ones I heard on a table. 

PL-70 is very nice table. With a better tonearm. I had the detachable carbon S and straight arms. Lots of adjustments option on the tonearm. Personally liked the looks of it better. Could be because always wanted the P-3 Exclusive. The PL-70 was my main player for a long time. Excellent sounding table. 

If if you could afford the GT-2000 L with wood finish the better tonearm, gun metal platter and the cast iron base yeah. That would be the one to get. 

Thanks @vintagejapan . Problem is those models are a lot more expensive. I do understand you get what you pay for. The Linn is performing well but maybe a PL will do me down the track. I'm also weighing up whether using the step down will annoy me. 

Guest Hensa
5 hours ago, Jakeyb77 said:

I'm also weighing up whether using the step down will annoy me. 

You won’t even notice the stepdown. The TT uses so little power (usually just 10 to 15 Watts), you only need the small stepdown which can sit behind your cabinet like any other power pack. I use this 50W Tortech isolated step down which does the job perfectly.

https://www.tortech.com.au/step-down-transformer-australia/japanese-transformers-to-australia/50w-isolated-step-down-transformer

Edited by Hensa

I love old yamaha, but i would probably choose a Garrard 401 over the pioneer or GT. i had a 301 but the style did nothing for me, but the 401 reportedly has all of the audio qualities of the best TTs, you can hold 2 or 3 arms,  will hold/improve its value for ever and looks absolutely brilliant (imo). No unobtanium parts like the yamaha and pioneer.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, JPete9 said:

I love old yamaha, but i would probably choose a Garrard 401 over the pioneer or GT. i had a 301 but the style did nothing for me, but the 401 reportedly has all of the audio qualities of the best TTs, you can hold 2 or 3 arms,  will hold/improve its value for ever and looks absolutely brilliant (imo). No unobtanium parts like the yamaha and pioneer.

It's just the two models listed for me. Or Maybe a DENON DP-59M. It's the sexy Japanese era. 

I was going to comment earlier about the so called 'flying saucer' look. In the flesh my DP-60L doesn't look, to me anyway, anything like a flying saucer.

But even if they do look that way to most people all I can say is its one hell of a nice sounding flying saucer.

cheers Terry ... ;)

Edited by TerryO

Guest jakeyb77

I just showed my Mrs this picture and she said UFO straight away. ?

Anyway I like the platter and surrounds without the slope. Just personal preference. 

I have no doubt they sound great and really just having a lend. But personal looks mean a lot. I am shallow after all .

Screenshot_20180422-184235_Google.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

I just showed my Mrs this picture and she said UFO straight away. ?

Anyway I like the platter and surrounds without the slope. Just personal preference. 

I have no doubt they sound great and really just having a lend. But personal looks mean a lot. I am shallow after all .

Screenshot_20180422-184235_Google.jpg

Well given we have just started watching the new Space Family Robinson series on netflicks maybe I can see a slight resemblance to a ufo. All be it a very good looking ufo! ... ;)

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

Guest Hensa

The looks are all about personal preference. My least liked Denons are the DP-47 and the DP-59. Love the DP-60 space age looks. I also really like the PL-50L’s looks as well. I do agree, particularly if the turntable is in a shared space, that looks are very important.

Edited by Hensa

Guest jakeyb77

We'll it's all probably mute for a while as it depended on me selling the LP12 and I just can't do it. And my other play money will be tied up in my other NS-1000 build and then I have the JBL 4435 build. 

Edited by jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77
19 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Will be good when you get the JBL's up and running mate.

Proving hard to find some 15". Can get 2225 or E-140 and recone but is working out very expensive. I have the parts for 4430 so it may be that I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, Jakeyb77 said:

Proving hard to find some 15". Can get 2225 or E-140 and recone but is working out very expensive. I have the parts for 4430 so it may be that I'm afraid. 

Too bad Peter Keenan died. He had a lot of spare part contacts in the US re JBL and AR.

You have most probably read this. http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/4430-35.htm

Guest jakeyb77
12 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Too bad Peter Keenan died. He had a lot of spare part contacts in the US re JBL and AR.

You have most probably read this. http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/4430-35.htm

Yeah and I've posted on there. I'm actually probably happier with the 4430 due to size and practicality. It just would be awesome to have the 4435. Practicality is competing I have issues with. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jakeyb77
Just now, JPete9 said:

Pretty sure its your mate from over there :)

Shame. I like this one but same guy 

98A7CD62-2A7A-45AA-9D1D-9A027F98DBDA.png