Help with matching Pre/Power Combo

Howdy guys,

I am potentially looking at purchasing a Bel Canto pre-amp (Pre 2)

It is likely that I will go ahead with the purchase which means I need to start considering options to pair with it.

I was leaning towards mono blocks, something along the lines of the Audiolab 8200MBs or Bel Canto REF500Ms, however not ruling out a stereo power amp either.

Wondering what other options I should perhaps consider, I will be aiming to buy second hand with a budget of about 2.5k max, and more in favour of something solid state.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by Teksiis

3 hours ago, Teksiis said:

Also as a bit of an oddball question would this pair ok with something of an older vintage say a Sansui BA-F1 or similar?

Cheers,

Terry

Yep done it worked well only difference my pre has the inbuilt DAC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teksiis said:

Sweet thanks Seb, was kind of hoping you would have an answer for this.
emoji1.png

You won't be disappointed mate they are a sweet combo.:)

Be very careful Teksiis , these days most digital put out 2v and more at their loudest 0dbf transients. Even  analogue phono stages can give out that much these days.

The amps your looking at

Audiolab 8200M only needs 1.2v in, to give full output of 200w 4ohms, so you need a preamp with unity or very low gain, otherwise your volume control could be only at  9 o'clock for very loud listening.

Bel Canto REF500M only needs 2v in to give full output of 500w 4ohms, this just as bad if not worse, as the wattage is more than doubled of the Audiolab the volume control could be the same.

BTW I agree with Gemrock the 600M's are better.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

Good thinking of them sounds like it's got a gain setting adjustment so you can choose the max output level. Wadia and Mark Levinson did this way back and continue to use it on their top dacs but for a different reason when they found that digital domain volume controls in dac and players, if you use the volume below 75% of full you start to "bit strip" lower resolution from 16bit down to 14bit and so on the lower you go. So they also introduced absolute gain setting jumpers. 

Like I said in my other post all you need these days is unity gain in most cases, in 90% of cases a passive pre will do

Cheers George

This is Wadia's digital volume control gain setting instructions.

Gain setting.JPG

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

So after considering all of my options, and spending a bit of time going round in circles like a crazy man this happened:

DSC_0367.thumb.JPG.facb66775ea9923475f2b807e0a44ec7.JPGDSC_0368.thumb.JPG.35cf8bd16eef1a609f3e35797132494e.JPG

One of the upsides of going this way is that although it is an integrated it can be set to be used as either pre or power separately which gives me plenty of room for experimentation.  :)

• Like 1