Onkyo TX-SR806,TX-SR-876 OR OLDER MODELS TX-SR805-875

I can get any of these models for a very cheap price through work contacts.

Should I go for the latest models or are the older models just as good. i will save a bit buying the older models?

Is there a difference in sound quality between the newer to the older models. I need an amp which sounds good and does movies well too. I also want to go HDMI.

I was going to but a TX-SR608 initially. I changed my mind after getting more info from this site.

The system I now have is: VAF DC7 front, b&w CC6 S2 centre, warfedale Delta 30.3 surrounds and a Paradigm PS1000 S2 sub. A Sony STR-DE845 5.1 Reciever.

Due to renovations. My wife has asked me to go for sattelite speakers to save room.

I purchased 7 Boston Soundware speakers complete, from a shop in sydney for an amazing $350. The grilles needed some attention but came up perfect after some minor panel beating.

I will still use the sub for this new system.

I think i might go 5.1 as I have already wired up the lounge this way. The 2 other speakers will go outside in the b/bq area. Good thing that the speakers are waterproof.

Your feedback would be great.

ps. I know about the TX-SR875 going for a bargain price on this site. I am seriously considering it .

Your feedback would be great.

Stephen

I don't mean to dominate this thread but nobody else is watching/listening/answering.

The difference in sound from 605 to 608 or 875 to 877 is bearly noticable. Obviously the quality jumps from the 6 series to the 8 series. I have a freind in JB who has been able to demostrate to me the lack of difference within series comparing the 6's.

The main change is the upgrade from Dolby PL11x to the newer PL11x height chanels along with the 3D processing.

The main speaker chanels are still your basic 5.1 setup. I have recently taken mine back from 7.1 to 5.1 with no major loss.

Cheers chewie

3D is quite new. Lets wait and see where it is heading. Time will tell.

I will know the prices of the amps I want tomorrow. I get a great discount through work. I have been waiting to upgrade my 10 year old 5.1 sony for years. About bloody time if you ask me.

What sort of price were you getting the 608 for?

• 4 weeks later...

I went and bought the 807. Great amp. I am running 5.1 with Boston soundware speakers and a paradigm ps100 ser2 sub. sounds magnificent.

I went out and bought an Antec Av cooler for $114 elivered from sydney to melb. Looks great and is very quiet. Keeps the unit cool.