Newbie - Advice on Screens Please

Evening all;

I am brand new to this arena, having made the decision to jump to a Projector home theatre set up. I have been doing a fair bit of research on various set ups including reading through previous posts but would really appreciate some opinions in relation to preferred set ups.

The room is approximately 6 meters in length, with one end wall being 4.1meters wide and the opposite wall being 2.6 meters wide (there are diagonal walls which taper in at 45 degrees hence why that wall is shorter). The height is 2.3 meters. The room will be pitch black. The projector will be used for movies, Playstation 4, live sports events (football and motorsport) and the occasional TV show (Netflix). 

I suppose the first major decision I need to make is what screen to choose (aspect and size). I was looking at a 130" Cinemascope or a 115" 16:9. My concern with the Cinemascope is that it won't be suited for PS4 (which i am assuming is 16:9) or other general viewing. Also the 16:9 seems to be more impressive. Can 16:9 be made to fit to a Cinemascope screen without compromising quality? How easy is this to do if possible? In terms of the projector, I was looking at the Epson Full HD 3D Projector. EH-TW9300.

I would be grateful as to any input in relation to:

- Cinemascope VS 16:9 for my viewing requirements.

- The suitability of those screen sizes, or any other recommendations. 

- The suitability of that projector.

Like i say guys, I am brand new to this and it all appears to be very overwhelming! Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Always a hard decision and really depends on how much you will be watching each thing. Regardless you will compromise on 21:9 or 16:9 

If you go with the standard 16:9 screen, you will have a nice full screen on your PS4, netflix, sports and 16:9 movies. For 21:9 movies, you will have black bars on the top and bottom.

If you go with 21:9 screen, it will look great for all 21:9 content, but other 16:9 content will have black bars on the sides.

If you go with the above sizes

Your 115" 16:9 will produce a 103" 21:9 image

Your 130" 21:9 will produce a 109" 16:9 image. 

Personally if i had the room i would go with a 21:9 screen. Its during a movie that you want the 'best', watching TV/gaming is always second place in a home theater setup. But if you sports/racing is where you will be spending most of your viewing time, the 16:9 will be better. 

The 9300 has zoom memory so swapping between aspect ratios is very easy. Also the 9300 is the go to choice for gaming with its very low input lag. 

Regardless of you decision, you will be happy with the image from both methods. And the 9300 is a very nice projector. 

One other thing to note is that you will need to physically click a button on the remote to change aspect ratios. 

Not a huge deal, but if to be used for wife/kids, its another thing they need to do. If you stay with 16:9, no changes are needed other than turning it on.

One other minor annoyance is movies that swap aspect rations mid movie. Very few out thee, but can be annoying. For me that is a none issue, but worth pointing out

• Like 1

this is the thing you should do.. do not buy a screen until everything is set up in the room and you have projected onto the wall for a couple of weeks trying various screen sizing.

it will be on the 4m wall so you wont have a problem although that is a low ceiling.

next the eppy 9300. you could find these last week on the epson aust seconds page (refurbs) for $2300.. a nice price. although it might be worth waiting and seeing if the new oproma uhd50 will be coming to oz. it should be similar in shop price

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I really appreciate it. 

That has cleared things up in terms of the aspect, I think I am leaning towards a 16:9 mainly due to the amount of sports, gaming and general TV shows which will be watched, as opposed to Cinemascope movies. I imagine this sort of content would be more impressive filling the whole screen. I get that movies won't be as good as the Cinemascope, but i suppose thats a trade off. I could probably make do with having the lines top and bottom and i would imagine that they wouldn't be overly noticeable if the room was pitch black? Furthermore am i correct in saying quite a few movies are made in 16:9?

The roof is actually 2.4 meters high, which i believe is the height of a standard ceiling. I appreciate it might be a bit hard to say, but in your opinion / experience, what size 16:9 screen would you go for that room (4.1m wall x 6m length x 2.4m high). I intend to have tiered seating (two rows) towards the back of the room. Would a 115" be too small for that room? What are your thoughts on a 130"? Would that be too big and not allow enough room below the screen for the cabinet etc? 

Thanks again, any input is great.

sorry mate when i saw your ceiling height i forgot that was fairly standard in mod homes.. i have 3.1m

with a 4.1m wall allowing for front speakers you could go 130" but i wouldnt because 2 rows of seating ( back row on a riser of course) the front row will be around 3-3.5m from the screen.   a 125" screen at 3-3.5m is very immersive for movies  but may bring some eye fatigue for gaming fast action. then sitting at about 5m you will wish for a 130" screen haha.

i would suggest the sweat spot being 120". (but really 110-120 will be fine) it comes down to where you will sit. front row for movies.. 2nd row for gaming etc.

the other thing is screen height. from experience you want it no more than 800mm off the floor.. for better immersion i suggest 600mm as the riser will elevate the rear seats this will be fine.. so a low front cabinet

so a 120" screen will be 1495mm high + 100mm for 2 borders= 1595 overall + 600mm from floor leaves 205mm top of screen to ceiling.

i would not mount it higher than 600mm to 700mm from the floor.

Edited by hopefullguy

• 1 month later...

As far as gaming goes be aware that not all projectors are suitable for online gaming I currently have an Epson tw9000w which is completely useless for online gaming as it introduces to much input lag even with all the processing turned off or set to minimum it is still useless, just something to consider if you are a serious gamer when you are looking for your projector