Sign in to follow this  
Tasso

Sony VPL-VW760ES Projector

I think it will, as well. I was blown away when I had a demo of it in Feb/March, and I figure if I'm going to spend all this money on setting up the home theatre I may as well do it right. Just got to do my final measurements for what size screen I'll get. I'm definitely going for a scope screen as it is a movie room rather than a tv and sports room. 

I think it will, as well. I was blown away when I had a demo of it in Feb/March, and I figure if I'm going to spend all this money on setting up the home theatre I may as well do it right. Just got to do my final measurements for what size screen I'll get. I'm definitely going for a scope screen as it is a movie room rather than a tv and sports room. 
Congratulations you will love it. :)

17 hours ago, kitschcamp said:

After many months of waiting for funds, and then nervously reading all the commentary on the new for 2019 projectors, I've finally got to the point next week where I can place an order for "something", and I've decided to go for the Sony 760, the projector I originally planned for way back in March. Here's hoping it lives up to everything I've read it does. 

The 760ES is a very good projector....you wil love the image it throws.. ☺️

After many months of waiting for funds, and then nervously reading all the commentary on the new for 2019 projectors, I've finally got to the point next week where I can place an order for "something", and I've decided to go for the Sony 760, the projector I originally planned for way back in March. Here's hoping it lives up to everything I've read it does. 

Well done [emoji106]. Hope you enjoy [emoji6]. I’m almost swinging that way also, not sold on the new JVC. Sony have been the pioneers of 4K chips, I understand that JVC have had the best blacks for years but I think that’s about to change also. I read on the forum a few days ago a member buying the 760 and commented regarding the good blacks, very even now. Enjoy. [emoji106]

Anyone know with the lasers when is it the best time to get it calibrated? I can't see why not straight away but I could be wrong.

Also once calibrated I want to be able to store it in my autocal functions so I'm able to call them up when when needed. Does anyone know how to do it ? Manual is not very informative.

Looks like Tasso is getting some company.  Both Franin and it seems kitschcamp.

kitschcamp-  Where did you see it here in Adelaide that has it on display?  VAF?  Thought they only had the Sony 550 on Display?

1 hour ago, Spizz said:

Looks like Tasso is getting some company.  Both Franin and it seems kitschcamp.

kitschcamp-  Where did you see it here in Adelaide that has it on display?  VAF?  Thought they only had the Sony 550 on Display?

VAF had the 760 on display for one night only in March. Sony came over to run the show. 

VAF had the 760 on display for one night only in March. Sony came over to run the show. 

We only have one store over here that has it cannington West coast Hifi ( from what I know[mention=105453]tasso[/mention] may know some other store ) in their reference Home theatre room 

5 hours ago, franin said:

Anyone know with the lasers when is it the best time to get it calibrated? I can't see why not straight away but I could be wrong.

hi frank, I would check wiht the calibrators on AVS, not sure our locals have had much chance to check and re calibrate but I did read the sony laser does still drift with use (unlike some think) - one of the major calibrators pointed this out to clear up the misconception. So worth checking :) 

On 02/11/2018 at 4:40 PM, kitschcamp said:

congrats ! and I am sure will be pretty pleased. definitely invest in proper setup and a calibration to get the best out of something like this :)

@:) al I read that as well. I need to find out how we store the Calibration once its done on auto calibration so I can call it up anytime.

Oh I intend to! As long as it’s ready for Christmas I’ll be happy. 

I’ll also probably still keep my LUT for sub 4K sources. 

Edited by kitschcamp

On 03/11/2018 at 10:56 AM, franin said:

I had  about 300 hours on it - more by  circumstance than anything else.   The only calibrator in Perth that I know of that has  had  decent experience for full HDR calibration is Andrew Poole of Home theatre Engineering.  I do know that the talented fellows in other states visit Perth at times so it might be an idea to send them a message to see when they are next in town.

Edited by Tasso

I had  about 300 hours on it - more by  circumstance than anything else.   The only calibrator in Perth that I know of that has  had  decent experience for full HDR calibration is Andrew Poole of Home theatre Engineering.  I do know that the talented fellows in other states visit Perth at times so it might be an idea to send them a message to see when they are next in town.
Okay maybe it's best to wait when I accumulate some more hours. Who are the other calibrators ? I'm curious to know.

On 02/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, kitschcamp said:

Congrats on the new PJ!    The 760Es never fails to impress so I think you and your family are in for a treat.  

On 02/11/2018 at 1:40 PM, kitschcamp said:

Just got to do my final measurements for what size screen I'll get. I'm definitely going for a scope screen as it is a movie room rather than a tv and sports room. 

In terms of screen size, I have a 140" scope screen and the projector is mounted 4.5M from the screen ( measured from the lens) . This allows plenty of light for HDR when zoomed in to fill the screen.  

We’ve had a measure up this afternoon and settled on 130”, mainly because any larger would put it too close to the edge of the room, and then I’d need an acoustically transparent screen, which I’d like to avoid. 

Finally managed to get some time off and get down to the dealer. The order is placed! It appears that stock is actually in Australia, so the projector won't take that long to arrive, but the screen will take about 3 weeks or so to be manufactured. So hopefully still on track for everything to be done and dusted for Christmas. 

On 09/11/2018 at 5:46 AM, kitschcamp said:

Finally managed to get some time off and get down to the dealer. The order is placed! It appears that stock is actually in Australia, so the projector won't take that long to arrive, but the screen will take about 3 weeks or so to be manufactured. So hopefully still on track for everything to be done and dusted for Christmas. 

It should be enough time - keep us posted!

Will do - I'm waiting for the installer to pop out and check whether they can remove the stupid fins that are on the wall. They don't appear to be structural, but if they can't be removed I effectively have to hover my screen 2 ft into the room. 

10 williamson wall.jpg

1 hour ago, kitschcamp said:

Will do - I'm waiting for the installer to pop out and check whether they can remove the stupid fins that are on the wall. They don't appear to be structural, but if they can't be removed I effectively have to hover my screen 2 ft into the room. 

The other option is to leave them there and use an acoustically transparent screen with your speakers behind the screen...

I'm hoping the damn things can be removed. They're ugly and serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I'm all pretty much ready to roll, got my replacement 3D LUT on order for SD and HD sources, the Panny 820 on order for UHD for the tone mapping (have a 300 in the living room at the moment, and a 400 in the cinema room currently), and new cabinetry on the way for the devices to sit in. 

Pity as it is currently cant get conduit in wall for later easy cable upgrades like HDMI 2.1

I'm hoping - and the installer is hoping - that when he checks it out it's all plasterboard, and conduit can be slotted in where the weird walls are at the moment prior to patching up the plasterboard and pulling cables. If I can get conduit in the gap for HDMI, power and atmos cabling I'll be stoked. 

I'm hoping the damn things can be removed. They're ugly and serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I'm all pretty much ready to roll, got my replacement 3D LUT on order for SD and HD sources, the Panny 820 on order for UHD for the tone mapping (have a 300 in the living room at the moment, and a 400 in the cinema room currently), and new cabinetry on the way for the devices to sit in. 

How do you find the 3D lut

It made a huge difference with my LG OLED which had atrocious built in calibration tools. It also has the advantage of being able to play with gamma curves easily when some discs are really weirdly mastered, or are incredibly dark and you want to be able to actually see what's going on in the shadows. The learning curve is pretty steep initially, but Light Illusion HTL is a really powerful tool. 

I went with the eeColor LUT that you can pick up for a few hundred bucks - even Steve at Light Illusion reckons it's ridiculously good value, and recommended to buy that from someone else over the LUTs that he himself sells for home use! And I don't think you can get more highly recommended than that. There are occasionally HD Lumagen LUTs cropping up on fleaBay for the 400-500 bucks range which are good devices, but a much smaller colour cube. 

HDR... My pocket isn't deep enough to worry about buying a LUT for HDR yet, especially when no one seems to really have a clue what to calibrate to properly yet.