Sony VPL-VW760ES Projector

After realising that much of the commentary about the Sony 760ES / 885ES on various forums was coming from non-owners I thought it might be interesting to have a thread from an owners perspective- although it has only been a couple of weeks so far!  

I had a JVC  X9900 for a  while  - a thoroughly top class projector which although  performed flawlessly and produced superb images , it whetted my appetite for the next level of performance. We are upgrading the  theatre  room in terms of new screen, upgraded sound,  cabinetry  , painting etc  and we stretched the budget to fit in the Sony 760ES.

Mounting the projector was relatively straight forward as it turned out.   Sony have a number of mounting points on the base but the only fixing  pattern that works is a triangular  pattern.  I used the Peerless PRG-UNV  mount

IMG_9161.jpg.246db205945a0ee60ce46c17ffeaf04d.jpg

I was able to use the existing pole which is attached to 2 steel lintels fixed to the roof trusses. PJ is just 4.5M from the screen, but this is more than sufficient for the 140" Cinemascope zoom that I have ordered from Oz Theatre Screens.  Sony seem to be able to go bigger  from the same distance ( based on my experiments) than JVC did despite similar throw ratio specs. It's no big deal really, but it meant that I didnt have to mount the PJ further back.

One problem encountered was that the Peerless PRG mount was not designed to be fixed to a square pole.  So I  took  a threaded adapter from a Peerless rear wall mount ( which I was going to use with JVC)  and attached it securely to the pole - it worked like a charm!

5ac61bab6950e_IMG_9188(1).jpg.143c5031d885eb7b112bce7daae26d3a.jpg

From the moment i first fired up the 760ES  I knew it was something special.    Resolution, even on 1080p, was noticeably better than JVC .  For 2018 models, Sony has installed a newly developed lens and it is very good indeed. We know that they saved the very best for the 5000 but at this price point, the lens , its edge to edge resolution,  full 4k panels all contribute to a  naturally sharp image.

I had heard about Sony's motion handling but experiencing it is a treat. Fast action and scene pans  are smooth and natural  and again a cut above  what I was used to.  Contrast is excellent - yes you heard me correctly!  It does not do black levels as well as JVC E-shift but its contrast is so good overall,  it leaves nothing wanting.    I should add that I was not a fan of auto iris feature of JVC and other Sony's.  The video processing electronics of the 760ES are more advanced than the lesser Sony models and this is clearly assisting  things like contrast.

Laser light source- this has to be the future i think. The image is ultra stable , superb colours and such even illumination.  It seems brighter than the specs would indicate and I have only been using low laser setting even for HDR on the existing screen (I  will need to up the ante on the bigger screen).  The HDR experience is further enhanced by Sony's BT2020 setting.  Reports are quick to point out that it covers 90% of the full colour gamut ( which would be hard to pick for  many people I think )  but it was done this way to achieve a zero light penalty.    Some  BT2020 filters can cause a 40% light loss which makes HDR on an average PJ all that much harder to achieve.    So for 4K HDR  I dont seem to need to use the Oppo's  tone mapping and I get excellent results using Sony's own controls. 

Next step is to fit new screen and have a professional ISF calibration . In the meantime I took a couple of snaps with my iPhone.  I figure I will get the DSLR out  after calibration.   It might be difficult to see differences in resolution with theses photos and the first photo was a scene from a 1080p movie  - Valerian.

IMG_9204.thumb.jpg.9c66f8c18345d86496fe37329328a313.jpg

Next was 4k - and was sharper on screen - I don't think  the  iPhone captured it though.

IMG_9211.thumb.jpg.17d5fc40f433ee46b54285b08b9eab2c.jpg

Edited by Tasso
  • Like 7

I have been trying to measure the light output and using the RS Light meter it shows around 47 fc at the 110” 16x9 screen but drops off significantly when zoomed to the equivalent of 140” scope . I have no idea if I’m doing it right

4 hours ago, Tasso said:

I have been trying to measure the light output and using the RS Light meter it shows around 47 fc at the 110” 16x9 screen but drops off significantly when zoomed to the equivalent of 140” scope . I have no idea if I’m doing it right

I think from memory  i was getting around 25 FC at 17ft throw onto my 143" scope.. will check for you..:)

• 6 months later...

Well I've decided to join Tasso I will be picking up projector next week. After seeing it in action at West coast It was so impressive it imprinted on my mind. I kept doing research and always went back too the Sony 760ES.  Hopefully goes all well. @Tasso I will have to call you mate I will need some of your hints and tips :)

• Like 5

Did they throw in some goodies or look after you on price?  I only mention this because I saw VAF here in Adelaide throwing in a RowOne recliner seat and ISF calibration, Digital Cinema throwing in a screen, ceiling mount, and cables, etc, etc.

Did they throw in some goodies or look after you on price?  I only mention this because I saw VAF here in Adelaide throwing in a RowOne recliner seat and ISF calibration, Digital Cinema throwing in a screen, ceiling mount, and cables, etc, etc.
They dropped the price down for me as I have the cable and screen already.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, franin said:

Well I've decided to join Tasso I will be picking up projector next week. After seeing it in action at West coast It was so impressive it imprinted on my mind. I kept doing research and always went back too the Sony 760ES.  Hopefully goes all well. @Tasso I will have to call you mate I will need some of your hints and tips :)

Congrats mate - and let us know how it goes when you are up an running. Exciting times ahead!

• Like 1

Question I use simple control now unfortunately they don't cover the Sony vpl 760es memory recall while the harmony does. I know it's on the wrong thread I use 2 OPPO 203 UHD and a 103 for blu ray.

Does harmony support more than 1 ir blaster ? I need a harmony base that's able to support 7 ir blasters

6 hours ago, franin said:

Congrats Frank. Am sure will be quite pleased !

14 hours ago, franin said:

Does harmony support more than 1 ir blaster ? I need a harmony base that's able to support 7 ir blasters

The harmony hub itself outputs IR as well as RF signals and has outputs for two blasters.   I use one blaster output into an IR repeater unit  with 6 emitters ($30 on Ebay).  The projector has ir sensors front and rear and it picks up signals from the hub directly which is situated several metres away. 

The harmony hub itself outputs IR as well as RF signals and has outputs for two blasters.   I use one blaster output into an IR repeater unit  with 6 emitters ($30 on Ebay).  The projector has ir sensors front and rear and it picks up signals from the hub directly which is situated several metres away. 
Thanks Tasso.

At this stage I should  thank everyone who have been so helpful on the forum and also to [mention=106308]wooferocau[/mention], [mention=116160]DoggieHowser[/mention] and [mention=125306]:) al[/mention] who were kind enough to patiently respond to my PM's seeking advice. 

Congratulations Tasso,
Sure you will hours of pleasure, the pics look fantastic. Who will you use for the calibration?

1 minute ago, poppybob said:

Congratulations Tasso,
Sure you will hours of pleasure, the pics look fantastic. Who will you use for the calibration?

Already done by Andrew Poole from Home Theatre Engineering 

I'm   more than happy with it!   The 760ES colour calibration was pretty accurate out of the box  but the calibration did some  nice fine tuning  - I'm convinced! .  HDR calibration is a separate  and long process in itself  and  I get outstanding results all the time now.  4K UHD images just "pop" so much more. 

• Like 1

After many months of waiting for funds, and then nervously reading all the commentary on the new for 2019 projectors, I've finally got to the point next week where I can place an order for "something", and I've decided to go for the Sony 760, the projector I originally planned for way back in March. Here's hoping it lives up to everything I've read it does. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kitschcamp said:

After many months of waiting for funds, and then nervously reading all the commentary on the new for 2019 projectors, I've finally got to the point next week where I can place an order for "something", and I've decided to go for the Sony 760, the projector I originally planned for way back in March. Here's hoping it lives up to everything I've read it does. 

Good luck Kitschcamp I hope the 760 lives up to your expectations, though from what I have read I reckon it will.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO