My brand new Samsung Q7 has Audio Fault?

Hello all,

I just bought a Samsung Q7 65" TV in Feb.  Its connected to my digital antenna and is used for FTA only.

The issue is; the audio cuts in and out, like the person has the hiccups? It seems to only happen on 10HD or 9HD. This happened from the minute I first turned it on.

Some information

* There is no sound bar connected. I'm using the TV speakers only.

* The antenna does go into my Beyonwiz first and then loops out the Samsung Q7.

* My last TV (sony) worked perfectly connected to same antenna outlet.

* I have another TV (Panasonic) in the bedroom that is connected to same antenna that is working perfectly. In fact I had both TV's on the same channel tonight and the Samsung was skipping the audio and the panasonic was perfect?

Before I ring the dealer, anybody got any ideas?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

Before I ring the dealer, anybody got any ideas?

Have you tried taking out the Beyonwiz and running the antenna cable direct to the TV?

Not all tuners are the same, so don't always expect the same result from two different tuners.

Other devices can cause interference too... like when my bluray player is on, 3 of 5 channel mux's are not viewable, but fine when it's off.

JSmith :ninja:

On ‎5‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, JSmith said:

Have you tried taking out the Beyonwiz and running the antenna cable direct to the TV?

JSmith :ninja:

I've taken the Beyonwiz out of the loop. The problem persists.

I'd suggest then the signal is either too weak or too strong, requiring a small amount of amplification or attenuation.

Would be best to get a signal meter or an antenna person to come and check signal levels.

Otherwise, a $30 external HD STB will possibly solve the issue...

JSmith :ninja:

I have the exact same problem with my brand new Samsung 65" MU7000. Sound randomly drops out to zero briefly on 9 and 10 HD channels on free to air AND when streaming over internet on the tenplay and ninenow apps on the TV. SD channels are perfectly OK.

Just moved house and the problem exists at both properties from the moment I turned it on. Both antennas reasonably new and in good condition. All wiring is good. New leads. New expensive powerboard with surge protection and filters on the power sockets including an antenna input and out. Have tried switching off the refrigerator and other appliances, yet the problem remains. Other TVs I have are fine. Signal quality and strength 100%. Bit-error always remains at zero. Adjusted every sound and video setting on the TV but makes no difference. Updated firmware. Retuned. Factory reseted. Alternated leads, connectors, powerpoints etc. Nothing makes any difference. At first I suspected this is a problem with the Samsung built in tuner and the way channel 9 and 10 transmit their HD signal, however...

Interesting that this happens also when streaming 9 and 10 HD content via their apps over internet on this TV, which makes it apparent this is not a reception or interference issue, but more in the HD signal and the codec or other technology 9 and 10 are using to encode/transmit data, and the Samsung does not like it. Some sort of Perceptual Noise Substitution or MPEG-4 issue? Or is the TV simply faulty?

Will try contact Samsung for support in a few days. Disappointing that a brand new Samsung UHD TV has such a problem, as the TV is very nice and easy to use. This TV uses the Samsung One Connect box to interface video and audio inputs neatly to the back of the TV. Nothing is plugged in to the box other than the antenna cable. The audio issue persists whether using the TV speakers, a soundbar, or bluetooth speakers. Can anyone offer any insight? Jeddie did you have any luck sorting it out? Will post if I make any progress or resolve the issue.

Edited by RobboRobbo
Formatting, addition.

19 hours ago, RobboRobbo said:

Jeddie did you have any luck sorting it out? Will post if I make any progress or resolve the issue.

@RobboRobboNo I haven't yet. I rang Samsung who advised me to update the firmware. I haven't done this yet. 

I intend to push for Samsung to come out to my place to have a look.

Edited by Jeddie
Added @username
  • Like 1

There’s one thing with service support, if you are advised to update FW by a service representative. Do it,  otherwised the product won’t be supported, and don’t expect them to follow through if there requests are not followed through.   It’s the same goes with the politics on any service support.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

I have one of these. I've had the one box replaced already. They have heat issues. Now the ARC sound to my amp drops out then back on every now and then. Some shows more than others.  I'll take more notice. I think the one box is a very weak link in these 

My issue has been resolved! A technician came out and provided me with updated firmware.

The firmware is not yet publicly available from the samsung.com.au website, as it is new and probably still receiving feedback and testing from users. The technician informed me that this issue has recently been reported by many Samsung users.

So now I have an updated firmware version 1229.9 thanks to the wonderful technician.

While my free to air 9 and 10 HD channels are now working, I still have the same issue when streaming on the TenPlay app over the internet on this TV. I have informed the technician about this and no doubt it will eventually be addressed by Samsung in future updates.

I have provided a link to download this firmware version below if it helps anyone, however please note that this is for model UA65MU7000 in Australia. If your model does not match this then you should not attempt to update using this file. I assume if your model is different the update feature would reject this file anyway. Either way, use at your own risk if you know what you are doing.

The file is a zip file and is 1.2GB in size. You will need to extract it on your PC. Inside the extracted folder you should find another folder titled 'T-KTMUABC'. Copy this 'T-KTMUABC' folder and its contents to the root directory on a USB stick and plug it into your TV. Then navigate the TV settings to Support -> Software Update -> Update Now.

Or you could have a technician visit you and have them do it all for you with the appropriate firmware for your model, or wait for the Samsung website or the TV's auto-update feature to provide it.

Download link is:
http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/735821/T-KTMUABC - 1229.9.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello Andre,

Yes all good here. Samsung came out and updated the firmware to a Beta version.  I don't use TenPlay.

@RobboRobbo sent me PM and said the same thing as you about Tenplay.

He said it is to do with a thing called 'perceptual noise substitution' and the Samsung hardware in these models are over-aggressive in their PNS behaviour.

He may chime in here with any updates.

All I can suggest is you contact Samsung and ask them when it will be fixed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andre Palayan said:

Jeddie - Any update? I’ve got the same issues with Tenplay, driving me nuts. 

I still have the issue using the TenPlay built-in app or watching TenPlay through the built-in web browser.

It seems you can circumvent it by using Freeview instead, although I've only tested it once but it played perfectly.

Have you had a tech come out and upgrade your firmware?

I have pointed out the persisting TenPlay problem to the technician after he came out and provided me with updated firmware. You should notify Samsung too, as the more feedback they get then hopefully the sooner it will be resolved.

Fingers crossed their next public firmware update will address the issue.

Edited by RobboRobbo
  • Love 1

I have the Q7 with these same problems tenplay audio cutting out and 10hd fta the same i thought it might be my antenna but then the wife said it also does it on the tenplay app. I will call samsung . Greg

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

I’ve not had this issue but I don’t watch FTA. I have however had the tech out twice. One Connect replaced once. Optic chord replaced also. Tech tried firmware update and also remote management did whatever they do. The universal remote keeps losing functionality. The one Connect seems to stuff up and needs to be reset daily. It also recognises the HDMI inputs automatically one day then doesn’t the next. Same fix. Power down the one Connect. The tech told me the new models have a thicker optic cable due to many many issues and also newer one Connect boxes. Anyway in the process of a refund this week. But they all seem to have issues so here we go again. When the Samsung works it is brilliant. 

Rang samsung today, went through all the basics and performed a reset of the sound and now the problem seems to have gone. I will see how it is after a couple hrs of being on. Greg

• Like 1

Rang samsung today, went through all the basics and performed a reset of the sound and now the problem seems to have gone. I will see how it is after a couple hrs of being on. Greg
Well I spoke to soon, I left the TV on for the rest of the night and my wife said it was still dropping audio randomly on the tenplay and 10hd FTA channels. Samsung are now booked to come and investigate. Besides this audio issue we have been very happy with q7
Just got a Sony uhd blu ray player and the images are breathtaking at times. Greg
  • Like 1

Hi everyone.

There is a new firmware version now available to the public from the samsung.com.au website as of two days ago, version 1210.8, which may solve these audio issues we have been having.

Although the version provided to me by the technician who came out to my house (and in the link in my earlier post) appears to be newer (ver 1229.9).

I cant test the new 1210.8 public release as the TV wont let me downgrade the version and a factory reset reverts to my current 1229.9 version, but it would be interesting to know if it does fix the HD audio dropouts on FTA and especially on TenPlay, if anyone finds out.

:)

Edited by RobboRobbo
  • Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

I got that updat from the Tech Friday night. Netflix stopped working now. I have to Chromecast. Also sound cuts in and out on FTA.

TV is going back. Got a call this morning. 

13 hours ago, Jakeyb77 said:

I got that updat from the Tech Friday night. Netflix stopped working now. I have to Chromecast. Also sound cuts in and out on FTA.

TV is going back. Got a call this morning. 

What a pity.

Perhaps you should try a factory reset now and see if it gets Netflix working, and/or the firmware update I posted a link to above, as my Netflix and all else is working perfectly other than the built-in TenPlay app (which I circumvent by using Freeview). Refer the Tech/Samsung to firmware version 1229.9 if its not already installed.

I hope you can get your TV quickly sorted out or replaced with something better, refunded or some kind of compensation... Samsung TVs should be much better than everything you've experienced and they seem to be aware of these issues. Maybe some of their third-party technicians are not very good or up to speed, as the Tech who visited me was extremely knowledgeable and we had a good chat about many TVs and related things.

Other than the initial HD audio dropouts on FTA 10 and TenPlay, my TV has been great (with some picture settings adjusted of course, like blur and judder reductions set to max, LED clear motion off,  Digital clean view on, HDR+ on, backlight, gamma, etc). 65 inch MU7000

Edited by RobboRobbo

Samsung tech came today, upgraded firmware to 1229.9. the tech confirmed samsung are aware of an audio issue  which can effect the hd fta channels, The issue  is a  dolby syncing problem the tech said. as i type this the tenplay app is still suffering from this issue. havent given the fta channels a try yet. 

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

4 tech visits. 3 firmware upgrades. Two one Connect boxes. Two optical cables. Issues still persist. Samsung saying TV has no issue. Then why all the above? It’s intermittent so I can’t make it happen on demand. They want to take my TV indefinitely to test. Blow that. I’ve know sent 5 videos to them. The Good Guys agree with me. 

Next stop is ACCC. 

1 hour ago, Jakeyb77 said:

4 tech visits. 3 firmware upgrades. Two one Connect boxes. Two optical cables. Issues still persist. Samsung saying TV has no issue. Then why all the above? It’s intermittent so I can’t make it happen on demand. They want to take my TV indefinitely to test. Blow that. I’ve know sent 5 videos to them. The Good Guys agree with me. 

Next stop is ACCC. 

You probably know that your contract is with the retailer and not with Samsung. It’s the retailer that should be providing you with a refund. If it’s new and has a major fault it’s YOU that decides if you get a refund, replacement or repair. The retailer can’t say boo under the ACL (Australian Consumer Law). 

Edited by muzzagruzz
  • Like 1