BREAKING: OPPO DIGITAL CALLS IT A DAY

56 minutes ago, JSmith said:

There are plenty of AVR's that have better or comparable DAC's to the Oppo.

I will be interested in your advice on this...

AVR is not my area at all...

I have an Oppo 95 used almost exclusively for BR/DVD...

It has & continues to be excellent performer...

The question will be what to replace it with...

29 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Cambridge Audio......:)

Yeah... no analogue stage or DAC at all. :ermm:

But definitely an option with external DAC, Pre/AVR and something I'll be looking at when I upgrade other items to 4K/UHD. A Benchmark DAC 2/3 HGC might be worth a look...

JSmith :ninja:

37 minutes ago, Rob181 said:

The question will be what to replace it with...

I agree... I'll be looking for any new AVR's that have the ES9038PRO DAC chip. The standalone DAC's using this chip are much higher in price though than a 205;

http://a1futureshop.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1161

Yahama use the ES9026PRO DAC which rates highly as does the AKM AK4458 used in the Anthem AVR's.

As many, I'm not interested in an Oppo anymore as in a few years support will likely be non-existent.

JSmith :ninja:

I don't understand the concern really. They are selling with 2 year warranty. What will be required for support after this? It is a long time in this space. Some of these smaller DAC companies could well disappear before Oppo do.

Anyway for those that haven't listened to one please audition the 205 yourself if you can. I think it is excellent as a DAC/Pre. Maybe I just stumbled upon synergy but I am using it as a Roon endpoint direct into SGR's and it sounds very good to me. I have a few DACS over the years and I would place it in the $1-2K range for the DAC alone. Again with DACs in this range I think it is starting to become personal preference. The 105 was a bit bright for me in comparison with the same speakers. I feel the 205 has addressed this and improved bass and vocals. 

I don't need an AVR with the Oppo. Telstra TV via HDMI in the back gives me all TV and streaming, Roon via network, can access files on my NAS, disc spinner of all discs, multi channel out and volume control. Sheesh, what else do you want? If you are just buying it as a DAC then yes maybe you need to look around but you need to compare like for like.

They will sell out either way, just trying to help those with older Oppos who are considering one , this is a much improved beast.

54 minutes ago, SteveC said:

I don't understand the concern really. They are selling with 2 year warranty. What will be required for support after this?

the only question is support for the uhd aspect. we tend to go update to update to support titles. its still early days in the format no different to when blu-ray was released. even with blu-ray I remember quite late in the piece lord of the rings (later episode) was released where couldn't get past front menu on oppos and cambridge units... needed a firmware update to play the disc... which was no bother aa was delivered over night. so what happens 3 years from now when a disc doesn't play....

will the oppo and cambridge players still be supported when the mother ship has long sunk...

Guest Peter the Greek

Any word on whether they tried to sell the business? seems strange, surely someone would want to continue it?

I’ve had my Oppo 205 for a week now and all good and have no regrets upgrading from my Oppo 95. Being an Australian sourced Oppo 205 it did not come multi-zoned for blu-ray or DVD, not being mult-zoned for blu-ray didn’t Bother me as I only have one US sourced disc and the rest are the Australian/European region. 

Not having multi zone for DVD on the other hand was an issue to me as I have a number of DVDs from the US and Europe. I didn’t want to do the $130 hardware mod that requires you to dismantle a couple of internal circuit boards just for multi-zone for DVD, I ended up figuring out how to update the Oppo 205 via loading a firmware via a CD that made it DVD multi zone in about 1min without pulling the player to pieces to install the hardware mode.

Anyway, Oppo 205 is now multi-zoned for DVDs, if I ever have a need I’ll revisit the hardware mod but doubt I’ll need it, I still have my Oppo 95 that was supplied multi-zone DVD/Bluray but will either give it to a relative or eventually get arround to selling it.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1