BREAKING: OPPO DIGITAL CALLS IT A DAY

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Hardly a surprise:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/dvd-bluray/dvd/54490/big-fall-in-disc-sales-recorded-in-2017

if you decided to spend somewhere, I’m sure when I’m hooked up to the nbn one would go Apple or the like on subscriptions....

but still only get DD+ or whatever at best?

Seems those "lossless" audio tracks will become a relic of the physical disc then

1 hour ago, JSmith said:

If you live in the US and have a cool $35000, $500 a film;

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Ultra-Rich-Watching-Brand-Movies-Home-70760.html

Amazon Prime is an option too with good access to new release films, HD, UHD, HDR and 5.1 audio, but need to muck around with VPN's etc.;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201648150

I still think shiny discs will be with us for some time...

JSmith :ninja:

the link doesn't say anything about the audio though.

I presume that it's not "lossless"

1 minute ago, anotherdavid said:

I presume that it's not "lossless"

When they reckon they can stream 4k on a 15Mbps connection... then I would agree. But then on an optimal connection... who knows, but likely some compression used.

JSmith :ninja:

50 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Lossless?  :D

Some things encode easier than others.  This is not my opinion but fact.  This is why MP3 at 320kbs works for a lot of program.  Is that perfect for everything?  Absolutely not.  Even the CD at 700kbs per channel is often not enough.  So a given data rate may or may not have enough bits to encode a piece of audio "losslessly".  
A case example is a bit of dialogue from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.  The LD used LPCM and fine.  The audio of the DVD in encoded using Dolby Digital and has distorted audio (data starved) for this scene.  The master was analogue and perfectly clear and why the LPCM on LD works.  The rest of the film is generally fine on the DVD.  On BD, they used DTS HD MA and there is no distortion for the same bit of dialogue. 

I’ll probably end up buying an Oppo 205 to replace my 7 year old 95, what’s the situation with them being supplied multi-zone DVD, don’t need multi-zone blu-ray. Read something about loading an CD update disc to make it multi zone for DVD.

JDH

39 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

I’ll probably end up buying an Oppo 205 to replace my 7 year old 95, what’s the situation with them being supplied multi-zone DVD, don’t need multi-zone blu-ray. Read something about loading an CD update disc to make it multi zone for DVD.

JDH

I believe this still works will need to check with Bill McClain's FAQ on AVS that summarises pretty well re "super disc"

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203-faq.html#region-free-modifications

that is free and has worked on every oppo to make dvd region free :)

• Like 1

I purchased an Oppo 205 today, probably won’t get around to setting it up to Saturday though. Will probably try and move on my existing as new multi-zoned Oppo 95 through eBay/the for sales of this forum or give it to my relatives if they think they have a need for it.

Now thinking of buying a new 4K ATMOS capable AV pre/pro and 4K projector to go with it :)

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 2

not sure what pricing is doing locally, but can see what has happened on amazon already re oppo 205 pricing ! 

see below in USD with all available options .... supply and demand ! 

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 8.47.54 am.png

Oppo 205 are completely sold out in the USA and Canada.

Demand for them since the announcement has been huge , so much so that Oppo is manufacturing one last run of 205 only to be available  from their website and only for American and Canadian customers.

If you were thinking of buying anything oppo here in Australia best be quick. 

32 minutes ago, MarkT said:

If you were thinking of buying anything oppo here in Australia best be quick. 

That’s what I was thinking, this prompted me to act last week and buy a new Oppo 205 to replace my existing Oppo 95, ended up buying the Oppo 205 for $1869 which seemed like a good deal, I notice the price has now gone back to over $2000.

JDH

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, :) al said:

not sure what pricing is doing locally, but can see what has happened on amazon already re oppo 205 pricing ! 

see below in USD with all available options .... supply and demand ! 

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 8.47.54 am.png

It does make you wonder if Oppo will re think their position given this "late" popularity.

7 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

That’s what I was thinking, this prompted me to act last week and buy a new Oppo 205 to replace my existing Oppo 95, ended up buying the Oppo 205 for $1869 which seemed like a good deal, I notice the price has now gone back to over $2000.

JDH

we are probably lucky to still have some knocking around in this country. I suspect the days of being able to buy a true universal player like this are very much numbered especially one with the analog stage, dac, balanced design and power supply off the 205.... so indeed get em while you can... as soon will be like the us ... with all sold ! 

3 minutes ago, SteveC said:

They might do a John Farnham and make a comeback!

I doubt it, simply because imo, 4k is the last frontier. 

Maybe it’s good timing to try and sell my Oppo 95 on eBay based on some of the prices. I can see these players will probably initially go up in price used similar to the Logitech Squeezebox after they stopped making it until something else comes along to fill the void.

JDH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdh500 said:

JDH

Well done. ....I bought a 205 and a pair of PM3 headphones from west coast hifi a few days ago.

Not as much haggle room though as I had to pay $2100 for the 205 , but they are only a 5 minute drive away and have good backup so I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience.

6 hours ago, ghost4man said:

It does make you wonder if Oppo will re think their position given this "late" popularity.

Or a white knight sees how popular they are and buys the intellectual property ^_^ How many takeovers have we had lately ? I wonder how Cambridge Audio view all this as they have a player to support ..

Only thinking about this ; no clue what may or may not happen :cool:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toothdoc said:

Sorry if I'm posting this is the wrong place. I just don't get why oppo 205 is so popular. Is it just so people don't have to buy a seperate dac? Isn't there a dac is the av receiver for movies? 

Yes and no.  It's a single box solution that performs to an excellent level considering what you pay for it.  To better it, such as external DAC's, you usually have to pay a fair whack more.  As a single unit is does a lot well, not just the DAC but, for example, the analogue outs or streaming or..........

Yes AVR's have DAC's, but the Oppo sounds better.  * Now, this is a subjective statement and there's many here who will say "but AVR such and such has a better DAC/sounds better than an Oppo".  Both statements are correct however, generally speaking, you would expect the Oppo DAC's to sound better than an AVR DAC's considering what you're spending.

47 minutes ago, JSmith said:

There are plenty of AVR's that have better or comparable DAC's to the Oppo... but yes, often more expensive, but not always either.

JSmith :ninja:

Cambridge Audio......:)