BREAKING: OPPO DIGITAL CALLS IT A DAY

I know I’ll always be a disc buyer, even with tidal, I still buy the album if I like it. 

Considering I have the 205, how long, if at all, do people here speculate that the next format after 4k will happen, so basically, what would the shelf life of the 203/205’s most likely to be?

17 minutes ago, Sime said:

I know I’ll always be a disc buyer, even with tidal, I still buy the album if I like it. 

Considering I have the 205, how long, if at all, do people here speculate that the next format after 4k will happen, so basically, what would the shelf life of the 203/205’s most likely to be?

8K is on the horizon and, given the accelerating rate of new tech adoption, I would suggest it will be mainstream in 2-3 years.

https://www.myce.com/news/blu-ray-disc-association-finishes-specification-recording-4k-8k-tv-broadcasts-83320/

3 minutes ago, Sime said:

@PeteD but I actually have doubts that 8k will go to disc. 4k hasn’t been stellar to say the least. 

Yep the displays will be for sale via your average box mover but the media will more than likely be online.

The sooner the studios can remove physical ownership from the public the better off they'll be.

4 minutes ago, Sime said:

@PeteD but I actually have doubts that 8k will go to disc. 4k hasn’t been stellar to say the least. 

Yes fair enough. I seem to remember Sony was bundling a few 4K movies on a Hard-Disc device with their early 4K TVs - this was before there was any 4K content available for streaming.  So will there be any way to physically own 8K content?  Would the Movie companies make the 200 GB MKV (or whatever size/format) files available for download?

You would want to be damn sure that you have fail-safe disc backup/redundancy in place. Hopefully proof of purchase would enable subsequent downloads if the worst happens.

Now that we are all experts I can’t help but think OPPO lost their way some years ago.

when they first come on the scene they created a market based on high performance well beyond the price tag.

Somehow from there they ended up manufacturing some of the highest priced players on the market which gave them a much smaller market to cater too.

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped
  • Like 1

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, metal beat said:

image.png.71190542ef8436aef4a78ae95ac3189a.png

Thanks for sharing. I think that answers everything and OPPO don't want to be playing the music as the ship goes down. Smart business decision I think.

Definitely sad to hear... Perhaps Cambridge Audio will now take this opportunity to get back on top. I had their 751BD and it was a fantastic unit before I switched to the 105-D and now the UDP -205. 

Probably the big question is how long will Oppo continue to develop and offer firmware updates. 

Whilst warranty support will continue, development can sometimes cease immediately so we may not see any further capability ever delivered out of the unit. 

Anyone hear anything of continued development roadmap? 

And now who will take the place of the $2k+ UHD Audiophile player market? 

6 minutes ago, Electrovoice Interface. said:

Strange in this day and age to see a company such as oppo  that supposedly makes a good product and you would think a profit why they would cease manufacture .....The units were assembled in China i believe ????:cool:

The simple answer would be that they were most probably not selling enough units. Oppo gear was never mainstream because of the high price and also most people are more than happy with the sound quality (where Oppo was the leader in the Blu-Ray market) of the Panasonics, Sonys etc. Most people didn't think Oppo was worth the extra cost simply because it sounded a bit better.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marc said:

Thanks for sharing. I think that answers everything and OPPO don't want to be playing the music as the ship goes down. Smart business decision I think.

OPPO are a progressive company without the history and multiple linked businesses of like Sony or Panasonic in video format players.  imo,  That gives them the ability to quickly change business tact when they see their market no longer increasing.  It may also be a fcuuk you to the hjgh royalty cheques they need to write to these type of companies who don't lower these royalty charges for BR and UHD.

They are in business to make money and only keep customers happy when they can see a growing market/profits :cool:

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, JSmith said:

So, who offers SACD playback in a UHD bluray player?

The Sony does, but no DV... Pana has DV, but no SACD.

JSmith :ninja:

Oppo going sure leaves a gap

the other has been their response to customisation

try getting pana or Sony to customise to suit needs eg HDR stripping and like. You’ll get something they think a good idea but try explaining to their scripted call centre in India or wherever about what you want :D let alone following up if you have some problem.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PeteD said:

Oppo gear was never mainstream

No the original DV-980H was fairly mainstream and started their path to producing higher spec'd players.

They should have kept on foot there IMO...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

So....maybe not the thread to raise this but if I shouldn't buy a 203 for fear of support a few years down the track, what should I buy as I was about to look into replacing my BDP-93?

Cheers

Matt

Maybe the Cambridge Audio CX UHD

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/cx/cxuhd

However it says it 'passes through' and has no DACs on board. So it's simply handballing the audio. See the pics with basically HDMI or optical/co-ax only in terms of output. 

2 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Maybe the Cambridge Audio CX UHD

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/cx/cxuhd

However it says it 'passes through' and has no DACs on board. So it's simply handballing the audio. See the pics with basically HDMI or optical/co-ax only in terms of output. 

No DAC is probably a good thing. There are heaps of DACS across a broad price range to choose from.  

6 minutes ago, PeteD said:

No DAC is probably a good thing. There are heaps of DACS across a broad price range to choose from.  

Potentially, yes. For those seeking an alternative to say the Oppo UDP-205 the Cambridge is not like for like, the with 205 sporting a 32bit DAC which I can attest was instantly noticeable above my previous Oppo BDP-105D, and Cambridge 751BD before that

• Like 1

Just now, proftournesol said:

This explains why Oppo are dropping the products, they aren't making any money

If they didn't stuff the initial release of their UHD player and kept a lower spec'd model in the more standard market... I'd say they'd have been fine.

Alas...

Surely they were making decent coin of the headphones and their recent amp/dac products?

I blame Trump. ;)

Guest Eggcup The Daft
2 hours ago, metal beat said:

OPPO are a progressive company without the history and multiple linked businesses of like Sony or Panasonic in video format players.  imo,  That gives them the ability to quickly change business tact when they see their market no longer increasing.  It may also be a fcuuk you to the hjgh royalty cheques they need to write to these type of companies who don't lower these royalty charges for BR and UHD.

They are in business to make money and only keep customers happy when they can see a growing market/profits :cool:

Yes, but Oppo Digital (a separate company to the phone business) is about to transition to making nothing at all. There's no money in providing free support to customers.

Clearly, there's no money in a 205-type product. In fact the implication is that there's not much money in making planar headphones and portable DACs either. Should we be preparing for more closures?

Edited by Eggcup The Daft