Marc

BREAKING: OPPO DIGITAL CALLS IT A DAY

Admin

OPPO Digital, manufacturers of arguably the most popular DVD and Blu-ray players, and more recently an outstanding range of Head-Fi products have announced they will cease manufacturing.

View the full article

Damn! :(. My last 2 players have been Oppos. Not only do they make good players but they also provided good software support and updates.

Wow - didn't see that coming.

I've had the 83, 93, 103D and now 203.

Plus the headphone portable amp/dac (HA-2) and closed headphones (PM-3).

Looks like one less item to upgrade in future - hopefully the disc support continues.

Thanks for the last decade though OPPO.

Benje

:(

I did not see this coming, the Oppo 205 was on my radar for my next upgrade.

Posted (edited)

Wow, very unexpected.  Does this include mobile phones?  I wonder what direction the company is taking, or are they shutting down altogether?

Edited by Kaynin

Very disappointing. I have seen some rumours but treated as such. Oh well I have the best of their last in the 205. Will relegate to audio only if have to

hope their support continues ...

new fornats we have had makers stop supporting players as soon as a new model comes out ! Let alone completely stopping making them

what I would hope to see is, while they have said they are calling it s day.

next statement needs to be how they are going to support existing customers ongoing at a local level. I am sure they have sold a LOT of players !

Oh no. My 95 and 103 are still going strong and maybe that's why they aren't making money. They last too long.

Admin
18 minutes ago, :) al said:

next statement needs to be how they are going to support existing customers ongoing at a local level. I am sure they have sold a LOT of players !

All OPPO Digital products will continue to be supported by both Interdyn and OPPO Digital. Customers will continue to receive the full 2 year warranty on their products and Interdyn has invested in ample spare parts holdings to continue servicing OPPO products for years to come. Firmware updates will continue to be made available where required. We will also continue to provide support for 9X and 10X Blu-ray players for as as long as spare parts remain available.

Admin
20 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Wow, very unexpected.  Does this include mobile phones?  I wonder what direction the company is taking, or are they shutting down altogether?

OPPO Mobile and OPPO Digital have always been completely independent companies. In fact, now, perhaps its clear why things were structured that way?

This decision, to the best of my knowledge has nothing to do with the mobile phone part of the OPPO business.

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

Hopefully OPPO have better Ethics then Olive.

Sponsor

Well their 2nd hand BD players just went up in price!

Oppo Mobile phones won't be affected. They are huge sellers in many Asian countries. In India they are one of the leading brands. Basically if you like the design of Apple phones but you don't like Apple you buy an Oppo. I did.

Anyway I wonder what the actual reason is that Oppo Digital are closing down? Declining Sales? Losing money?

1 minute ago, oztheatre said:

Well their 2nd hand BD players just went up in price!

That will be interesting to see. Could go either way.

Will there be on going support re servicing and spare parts?

Obviously at this stage they are saying there will be.

We will only know for sure in a couple of years.

pete’s Post above links to oppo official  announcement including re service support. But I want to see somethings official in statement regarding that locally. Looking at you interdyn

Admin

Al, am I on your ignore list? :)

I pulled this directly from the words of Itnerdyn:

The release also states that existing warranties will be honoured and Interdyn will ensure its obligations to its customers are met.

Then added this when mentioned again:

Posted (edited)

As far as I am aware, moderators and administrators can not be ignored on SNA, Marc :P I'm sure it was tongue in cheek though. 

Back on topic, this is very disappointing. I was planning to buy one until I realized that my current HTPC can be reconfigured as a DVD player but I am full of respect for what they have done. Perhaps market reality is that mid to high end DVD/BR players are being squeezed out of the market by declining sales and the ubiquity of cheap players. 

Edited by Keith_W

Admin

Yeah I'm due to upgrade my BDP-83 (yep!) to a 205. I do have reservations buying into a brand at this point knowing they are not going forward.

Honestly, I think consumers only not in the scene or not made aware of the developments (by the retailer) would buy new OPPO products now I suspect.

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

Al, am I on your ignore list? :)

I pulled this directly from the words of Itnerdyn:

Haha I have been actually looking for an official statement from interdyn :)

signed Alex encel would be even better :D

i linked to Pete’s post with the us official :)

only just seen your latest post

6 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

Perhaps market reality is that mid to high end DVD/BR players are being squeezed out of the market by declining sales and the ubiquity of cheap players. 

+1...  and players are becoming scarce, like CD players.  I know plenty of people who don't even have a CD or blu-ray player in their house.

Just now, Marc said:

Yeah I'm due to upgrade my BDP-83 (yep!) to a 205. I do have reservations buying into a brand at this point knowing they are not going forward.

Honestly, I think consumers only not in the scene or not made aware of the developments (by the retailer) would buy new OPPO products now I suspect.

The 205 is an awesome player but to say I am concerned is understatement. Uhd is a new format and needs constant updates. If you follow the oppo thread you will see some people with unresolved and imerging issues. I hope this is not an indication of anything and will continue to be resolved.

Admin
4 minutes ago, :) al said:

Haha I have been actually looking for an official statement from interdyn :)

signed Alex encel would be even better :D

i linked to Pete’s post with the us official :)

only just seen your latest post

You're a tough audience @:) al :)

Sam Encel and Evgeny Vizelman - Directors of Interdyn who have distributed OPPO Digital in Australia for the past six years, forwarded a press release this morning which read:

"Interdyn has enough stock ordered to ensure fulfilment of Blu-ray players at current demand levels for much of 2018. "

The release also states that existing warranties will be honoured and Interdyn will ensure its obligations to its customers are met.

Moving on now :)

20 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

+1...  and players are becoming scarce, like CD players.  I know plenty of people who don't even have a CD or blu-ray player in their house.

I’ve owned few brand uhd players and both Samsung and Panasonic shat over the oppo 203 when first came out. I returned the 203 that’s how bad it was. Never returned anything like that in my life ! I have no doubt the investment in 203 and turkey initially was hurt a lot.

the 205 is great product and 203 is completely sorted now I believe. But uhd needs constant tending. The sands keep shifting. Larger oems like Panasonic just keep bringing out new  models to compete

1 minute ago, :) al said:

I’ve owned few brand uhd players and both Samsung and Panasonic shat over the oppo 203 when first came out. I returned the 203 that’s how bad it was. Never returned anything like that in my life ! I have no doubt the investment in 103 and turkey initially was hurt a lot.

the 205 is great product and 203 is completely sorted now I believe. But uhd needs constant tending. The sands keep shifting. Larger oems like Panasonic just keep bringing out new  models to compete

Yep, it's a large investment for a niche market.  Mobile phones, on the other hand...

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

You're a tough audience @:) al :)

When have dollars invested an official press release would be good to see. is it published ?

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

Moving on now :)

Easy for you :D note I do appreciate your efforts