ME Amplifiers Owners & Discussion Thread

15 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

Yes, look i have had a few interested parties after my pre but I've decided not to sell it. I'd like to wait till i can get it Trevored... A recent purchase has left the hifi fund pretty much trashed.

Once upgraded, you will not want to sell it ever. I’ve had it done to my 25 and my 14 is with Trevor now. Bang for buck, nothing beats them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest jakeyb77

Just got my ME14 back from @PonyTail and I know I’m meant to wait 3 days for the New MC card to warm up but wow!! It’s simply sounds beautiful. Thanks for tackling this job for me Ron. 

This pre amp now has every Bell and whistle and I’d say it’s well worth every cent and then a few extra thousand on top. 

image.jpg

I have been using my ME15 as a phono amplifier for some years, after my 850 failed to return from the repairer (long, sad, story that I won't bore you with), and with the kids a little older, I am in the process of looking around for a new power amplifier (or for a better integrated, but the kicker is it has to have MC input, which makes it pretty  expensive proposition, and I am yet to be convinced that I will be able to get the same sound quality as with a pre/power at the same cost). I have looked at some of the smaller brystons and moon amps, and am interested to check out the ME580. Of course, I am lurking on the clasifieds in case an 850 comes up, hope springs eternal...

Anyhow... I have thought that bringing the preamp up to a more modern spec would be a good thing to do. It was serviced by Trevor back in the late 90s, though I think that was just sorting out noisy input selectors, etc. Since then I have moved down to Melbourne, so I guess it would be easier getting stuff done through Winovate.  The preamp still sounds great, detailed with a hint of warmth, and a sort of liquid character to piano sound, but I am getting a but of variable engagement of the selector switch again with a little noise on changing the input. I thought you all might appreciate a look inside this older preamp- I think it is early 90s?.

IMG_9921.thumb.JPG.d73022d8c8d5a19cb6de7c1e9463ea13.JPG

What is the collective wisdom of the ME lovers on this thread? Should I wait to do this until I have bought a new power amp, or will recapping, etc. change the character enough that it may change the overall sound of the system. (Or am I flogging a dead horse, and should I buy a newer ME, or other new amp)

Thanks

Justin

My suggestion would be to contact Trevor aka zaphod beeblebrox on Sna about getting another 850. He may just have one in stock. Also speak to him about getting your pre sorted or like you mentioned speak to Winovate.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Juzbear said:

I have been using my ME15 as a phono amplifier for some years, after my 850 failed to return from the repairer (long, sad, story that I won't bore you with), and with the kids a little older, I am in the process of looking around for a new power amplifier (or for a better integrated, but the kicker is it has to have MC input, which makes it pretty  expensive proposition, and I am yet to be convinced that I will be able to get the same sound quality as with a pre/power at the same cost). I have looked at some of the smaller brystons and moon amps, and am interested to check out the ME580. Of course, I am lurking on the clasifieds in case an 850 comes up, hope springs eternal...

Anyhow... I have thought that bringing the preamp up to a more modern spec would be a good thing to do. It was serviced by Trevor back in the late 90s, though I think that was just sorting out noisy input selectors, etc. Since then I have moved down to Melbourne, so I guess it would be easier getting stuff done through Winovate.  The preamp still sounds great, detailed with a hint of warmth, and a sort of liquid character to piano sound, but I am getting a but of variable engagement of the selector switch again with a little noise on changing the input. I thought you all might appreciate a look inside this older preamp- I think it is early 90s?.

What is the collective wisdom of the ME lovers on this thread? Should I wait to do this until I have bought a new power amp, or will recapping, etc. change the character enough that it may change the overall sound of the system. (Or am I flogging a dead horse, and should I buy a newer ME, or other new amp)

Thanks

Justin

Not an expert here but it looks like you have an older version of the preamp but no doubt it can be serviced. What you do have is one of the best moving coil phono preamps available and I'd be inclined to find a newer ME preamp that can accept the latest cap upgrades and slot that MC card into it.  They do come up for sale every now and then. Not so long ago I picked up a beautiful ME14 and it's being given the royal treatment by Zaph. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juzbear said:

Thanks

Justin

This is one of the earlier ME pre-amps with the Moving Coil RIAA section.  Its easy to tell by the rather simple power supply board on the left hand side.

Yes, a re-cap won't do any harm.   Electrolytic capacitors no matter how good don't last forever.  I did my own as I have the skills and Trevor was kind enough to assemble a full kit of the replacement electrolytics and posted them to me.  I measured the capacitance of the old removed ones and some were well below the rated capacitance.

The noisy switches can be fixed with a DeoxIT kit for under $30 from Jaycar Electronics stores.  https://www.jaycar.com.au/deoxit-contact-cleaner-rejuvenator-solution-kit/p/NS1436  However I would advise that pulling the switches apart, cleaning all the contacts and correctly re-assembling them is a fiddly and time consuming process (IOW a PITA), best left to a professional.

After an electrolytic cap upgrade / replacement and the switches cleaned, the next obvious upgrade is the external power supply and the associated internal power supply board.  This will lift your ME pre-amp to the next level.  Much better sound and a much improved signal to noise ratio.  IMHO, the old power supply is the weak link in the chain letting down the rest of the electronics which is an otherwise excellently designed pre-amp. 

The newer power supply board also includes a remote volume control facility.

I'm not sure what power amp you are running but if you have an ME-850 it has a lowish input impedance and requires a pre-am with a very low impedance output.  The ME pre-amps have a very low impedance output so they compliment each other well.  Using a "normal" medium output impedance pre-amp will result is bass deficient and lifeless sound if used with the ME-850.

So in summary I suggest the following if you intend to keep your ME pre-amp :-

• Get the electrolytic capacitors on the MC and High Current Output Module boards replaced.
  • Get the switches cleaned or replaced (original replacements are probably hard to come by).
  • Get the power supply upgrade.  Involves replacing the existing external unit with a larger type and swapping out the existing internal board for the much better unit. 

If you like the sound of your ME, IMHO you'd be hard pressed to find better bang for your buck even with the cost of the upgrades.  Just my 2c worth.

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

What Alan said is pretty much on the money. 

The new power supplies are on the horizon, but I don't expect to see them in less than 3 months. Worth the wait, IMO. 

Winovate can certainly assist with any upgrades you may require. 

Feel free to contact me re. a replacement ME power amp.

Any nice aluminium 850’s Zaph? 

On 14/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

What Alan said is pretty much on the money. 

The new power supplies are on the horizon, but I don't expect to see them in less than 3 months. Worth the wait, IMO. 

Winovate can certainly assist with any upgrades you may require. 

Feel free to contact me re. a replacement ME power amp.

I’ll take three of those new power supplies when they come in. ?

Guest jakeyb77
10 minutes ago, muzzagruzz said:

How cool is it that a twenty year old product can still be upgraded? Can’t be many other manufacturers that can offer this path of upgrade ability. 

My point being my pre amp has had two PSU upgrades in two years... what is the new upgrade?