Are people really this dumb?

Everyone has done something dumb at some time.

I remember back in school days a friend and myself came back from a school jumble sale with some sort of bell thingy. It was a rather crude homemade device with a bell mounted on a wooden post, a few electrical components (resisters? capacitors?), and a pair of bare wires. We took it back to my place, and of course we wanted to see if it worked. So, we took into my bedroom, and without any hesitation my 'friend' stuck the bare wires straight into a power socket. Yep, you guessed it, FLASH, BANG.... followed by darkness (it was early evening) and some very angry parents. Fortunately nobody was hurt, but my friend bolted straight back home (he lived just across the road), while I had to endure the wrath of my parents while waiting in the dark for ETSA to come out and replace the service fuse out the front.

As a footnote, the former school friend went on to become an electrician. :ninja: He actually ended up earning good money working for a WA mining project. Maybe not so dumb after all!

As for the bell thingy, that was quickly consigned to the rubbish bin (my father made sure of that!).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ochremoon said:

I find it ironic that the people who crap on the most about how dumb other people are, often can't even use the most basic grammar.

I don't see what that has to do with pumpkins and their relatives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My opinion is stupid people and poor grammar don't necessarily go hand in hand. Poor grammar can make smart people look stupid though.

The problem for me is, having "audiophile nervosa" and it's companion condition "grammatica nervosa" I tend to focus on poor grammar in any post here on SNA. I just can't process any post where there, their or they're is used incorrectly. Don't even get me started on grammer v grammar or myself v me/I.

So anyway I've said it now and I feel much better. The diazepam has helped.              And the bottle of Shiraz.

Edited by a.dent
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, a.dent said:

My opinion is stupid people and poor grammar don't necessarily go hand in hand. Poor grammar can make smart people look stupid though.

The problem for me is, having "audiophile nervosa" and it's companion condition "grammatica nervosa" I tend to focus on poor grammar in any post here on SNA. I just can't process any post where there, their or they're is used incorrectly. Don't even get me started on grammer v grammar or myself v me/I.

So anyway I've said it now and I feel much better. The diazepam has helped.              And the bottle of Shiraz.

My poor grammar couldn't afford to send me to school, that's why I is dumb...

If reading posts with poor grammar has that effect on you, you should stay well away from GumTree.......

I know, excessive full stops on the end of a sentence are unnecessary, but they're free......

G'day all, an interesting thread, off topic stuff and all!  Reading this thread made me remember something that I did years ago that was 'very dumb', and maybe I shouldn't be alive to talk about it!  Years ago (as a child), I stripped back the two wires on my dad's electric razor and I wrapped the two bare wires around the metal locating lugs of a 240 volt incandescent light bulb, thinking that they were the contacts for the bulb. 

I held the wires in place with my fingers and then turned the 240 volt outlet on.  There was a very loud bang from the fuse box which was just next door, but I escaped completely unscathed.  In fact I didn't feel a thing, but I did 'feel'' the belting that I got from my parents afterwards!  Regards, Felix. 

Guest thathifiguy

Having worked many years in retail, I can safely say people are capable of anything.

I’ve had customers complaining about remotes not working when a. The batteries have been inserted incorrectly or b. Haven’t even been removed from the shrink wrap.

I’ve had a customer attempt to push in tweeters whilst asking “what does this button do?”

My small goods manager when I worked at Harvey Norman nearly got electrocuted when a customer returned their vacuum complaining that it wasn’t working. He plugged it in to test and got an electric shock and had to go to hospital.

Turns out the customer had soaked the vacuum in water in an attempt to clean it.

Dumb knows no bounds.

Edited by thathifiguy

11 hours ago, Wimbo said:

I think naive is a better adjective then dumb. Its better to fight your way to death then give up. Giving up is dumb.( Only place you would use it.) 

Good point Wimbo and the PC police would approve but I'm so over PC, so I call it as Forrest Gump's mother calls it, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Like most, I've done some stupid things and learnt from them and there are plenty of things I'm still naive about but at least I have the common sense to avoid a situation I'm clueless with, especially if there's the potential of death. Now don't get me started on the lack of 'common sense' these days.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2018 at 10:34 PM, a.dent said:

Good combo.

Are you awake yet?

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

You need to fill it up with 2 stroke fuel 1st.....:D

A funny story about something "naive" I did once. I tried to use a similar type vacuum cleaner to remove a large amount of toner from a photocopier I was repairing. After a couple of minutes a huge amount of smoke blasted out of the back end of the vacuum cleaner, and it caught fire internally. I reefed out the power chord, and turfed it out of the workshop door. The toner, being fine very fine, had gone straight through the bag and into the motor, where it caught alight.

Reminded me about the story of using a vacuum cleaner to suck up some spilt petrol, which acted like a turbo jet engine.....

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A post and reply about a vintage integrated, from... another forum;

- Pioneer says "phono" so I just assumed this would be used with an adapter to connect a phone to play music, but not a TV?

- Nope it says "phones" as in headphones.

:D

JSmith :ninja: