Sign in to follow this  
two89w

Emotiva

Are there any Emotiva users here or anyone who has an opinion on them?

I have been doing some reading about these amps in particular the XPA -2 .

They "seem" to be a decent thing however I am looking for some real world input.

Check out the Yamaha P3500S

http://www.soundcorp.com.au/store/?producttitle=Yamaha_P3500S&productcategoryid=64&productid=225

Why u ask? well it has later technology, better efficiency, it's bridgeable - 2k watts into 4ohms, half the size/weight, variable speed cooling fans that will almost never run, and the ability to drive loudspeakers that dip into 2ohms.

Hi two89w

I have a xpa-5 , not the xpa-2 your asking about, but using mine to upgrade the performance of my Yamaha av amp it made quite a noticable differance a alltogether richer and more relaxed sound. I found the biggest improvements were to heard when playing cds in two channel mode over the orginal amps in the avr. The WAF will not agree to me having a separated two channel set up and I was looking for a power amp to improve both HT and stereo for what the emotiva cost I am very happy with the improvement.

Cheers

Tigger

Their amps seem like great value but I wouldn't touch the UMC-1 processor because it seems like a complete piece of crap that simply doesn't work properly. On Emotiva's own forum, there is a lot of negative posting about this unit so buyer beware! It would cost about $900 to land one here but why bother when you can get a new Yamaha 7.2 HDMI 1.4 receiver with pre outs for every channel for under a grand! Would make a very economical preamp/processor!

I have the XPA-5 amp and also the UMC-1 and I can;t say a great deal yet as I've not had alot of time to sit and listen or watch but so far it's been great. The UMC-1 is far from crap, it did have quite a few bugs early on but they have released firmware which sorted out most issues just the other day. The new firmware sorted the couple of small issues I had but I'll need more time with it before I can say much else. So far the sound is very pleasing indeed.

By all accounts they seem to be excellent value. If I were in the market for multi channel power amps they would be up on my list.

I've owned an XPA-2 and 2 x XPA1s.

Excellent amps and extremely good value. If you wanted seemingly limitless clean power with astounding headroom, these are a good choice. Very neutral and it's easy to tweak the sound by changing source, cables etc.

Additionally, the people at Emotiva are a pleasure to deal with.

Everyone's real world experience differs, but having been there and done that I'd have no hesitation buying Emotiva again if I was looking for high powered amps.

Alistairm did you find the XPA-2 needed to be run in for some time before sounding good? What sort of power cable did you use?

Hi there i ordered an XPA-5 today and found them excellent to deal with. It only cost me $1090 including postage. Should be here in 5 days. Shelby in Hallam have one set up therte as a demo . its worth a look.

Alistairm did you find the XPA-2 needed to be run in for some time before sounding good? What sort of power cable did you use?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. There was a short settling period over the first week, but it sounded good straight out of the box. Without wanting to start a fight (and noting that I believe to some extent in burn in and settling) my experience is that gear that sounds crap out of the box is crap and that run in has as much to do with phsycho acoustic adjustment as any actual change in the sound - you just get used to it.

I just used a bog standard IEC cable.

Sparky, I had a good look at the unit at Selby when I was there. It certainly looks the goods. Great value at that price.

It sure was Paul and Jarrod at Selby is really great to deal with. I just bought an Onkyo TX NR 807 from him this week. I am going to use it as my processor for the Emotiva. Should be good.

Haahaa phsycho acoustic adjustment, you might be on to something there. I did actually contact Emotiva about this and was informed that they do believe in some "burn in" time of some 20hrs to achieve optimum performance. I now believe my AVR is to blame for some of the harsh sounds i'm experiencing.

Hi two89w

I recently purchased two XPA-5's for a 7.1 setup (front three channels vertically bi-amped). Apart from the power output, there is not too much difference in the specs to the XPA-2. Before proceeding to install the amps in the new home theatre , I tested both and ended up with one having about 40 hours on the clock and the other less than an hour. To my senses the unit with the greater mileage has a more mellow sound - less strident in the top registers, and certainly more pleasant to 58 year old ears.

I am more than impressed with the capabilities of the XPA-5 version so far. The build is impressive - the value for money is there. The upgrade from the amp being used was tremendous - especially for 5.1 channel playback of sacd's.

My 2c - for what its worth

Regards

D

I've had an XPA-5 for over 12 months now and I personally think it is great value for money.

I was running a Marantz SR-7200 on it's own in my home theatre and found I wan't getting good results thru the rear surrounds.

Dull and lifeless, almost like they were being choked - which they effectively were I guess.

Add the XPA-5 and the difference was like night and day.

Great value for money and I agree the people at Emotiva were easy and pleasant to deal with.