Tidal - what’s better than Bluesound Node 2?

Does anyone have experience with Bluesound Node 2 vs other ways to use Tidal? Which is better?

I don’t want to spend more than $3k on my next upgrade (otherwise I could buy an OLED tv). I find myself using Tidal 95% of the time. I use a Bluesound Node 2 to a Chord 2Qute. Have a lot of music on DS413 Synology that listen to the other 5% of the time.

Ideally: 

- can use Tidal’s native iPhone app (though the Bluesound app’s tidal integration is pretty good)

- I search Masters MQA albums first so how does it work with this?

- haven’t used Roon, don’t want to try Jriver

- would like it to upsample everything if this gives an obvious improvement 

Option 1: use a laptop to upsample (no idea how) always on, in another room

Option 2: use a streamer or mini pc in a box. I see: 

- micro/ultra rendu http://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

- sMS-200ultra network player https://cruxaudio.com.au/products/sms-200ultra

- Aurilac Aries/Vega/Mini http://www.auralic.com/en/

- Electrocompaniet Rena S-1 https://ecliving.electrocompaniet.no/rena-s-1-2/?lang=en

Out of price range but look great: Lumin, Aurender, PS Audio, Linn, McIntosh, Meridian

Option 3: stick with Bluesound and upgrade pre amp (from very old Integra pre/pro DHC9.9) instead.

Thanks!

Edited by Mike13
Update

I purchased Audirvana Plus, bought a s/h MacBook to run it, and stream Tidal through it. Use a Denafrips Ares DAC.  All up around $1300. 

The Ares won’t decode MQA to it’s supposed better quality, but I don’t care, I have great SQ for the outlay.

Meridian MS200 endpoint, Sooloos Core running on a QNAP 251 NAS, and use your existing phone or tablet as a controller with the free Meridian software.

For about a grand you’re cranking.

If you want to spend more, for about $1500 grab a Meridian 218. Add the same QNAP NAS. The software is all free. $2k and you’ve an awesome player and source for Tidal, all your ripped CD’s, and interweb radio too.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soundfan said:

I purchased Audirvana Plus, bought a s/h MacBook to run it, and stream Tidal through it. Use a Denafrips Ares DAC.  All up around $1300. 

The Ares won’t decode MQA to it’s supposed better quality, but I don’t care, I have great SQ for the outlay.

That is good value. 

Thanks @koputai . Do you know how the Meridian differs from the Bluesound Node 2? Both stream, have MQA (presumably Meridian has a DAC) and both will do Tidal without a PC?

I’ve got a Synology but mostly listen to Tidal now. 

On 31/03/2018 at 11:18 PM, Mike13 said:

Thanks @koputai . Do you know how the Meridian differs from the Bluesound Node 2? Both stream, have MQA (presumably Meridian has a DAC) and both will do Tidal without a PC?

I’ve got a Synology but mostly listen to Tidal now. 

Sorry Mike, I don’t know anything about the Bluesound.

The MS200 doesn’t have MQA ability unless you have SE version Meridian DSP speakers.

The 218 does, and yes, it has a DAC built in giving analogue out.

You would need to change your Synology NAS for a QNAP as Sooloos core won’t run on Synology.

The 218 can also be used as a Roon endpoint if you were to go that way.

Cheers,

Jason.

• 2 years later...

I am currently directly comparing Bluesound node 2i optical (audioquest cinimon) and Coax to NAD M51 DAC vs Audiervana over network to a Panasonic UB420 Bluray with HDMI out to DAC.

Without a doubt 'oddly' the network to Bluray is sounding better than Bluesound. 

'Likely it's due to HDMI being a better transport option but for purposes of this post, it highlights the high quality of Audiervana over network'

• Like 1