Cambridge Audio 'Edge' hi-end components.

2 hours ago, Happy said:

Then again I'd be more worried about assembled in UK stuff more personally since that's a sign of bad workmanship IME :P

Some of the most consistent complaints I have heard are from certain UK brands "made in England". I am actually please my equipment is assembled in China because if it were assembled in the UK and Sweden I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, crisis said:

Some of the most consistent complaints I have heard are from certain UK brands "made in England". I am actually please my equipment is assembled in China because if it were assembled in the UK and Sweden I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it.

MF, NAD, Rega etc only to name a few English companies that managed to assemble really horrific products especially when it comes to their BOTL stuff. At the same monetary value I have more faith in the Chinese products and that's why those companies get the Chinese factories to do the job.

Just now, Happy said:

MF, NAD, Rega etc only to name a few English companies that managed to assemble really horrific products especially when it comes to their BOTL stuff. At the same monetary value I have more faith in the Chinese products and that's why those companies get the Chinese factories to do the job.

Agree 100% but it should also be priced accordingly

ergo.... less expensive than it is now.

1 minute ago, rantan said:

Agree 100% but it should also be priced accordingly

ergo.... less expensive than it is now.

are you saying that if it's made in china it should 'be priced accordingly'? sorry i didnt really catch u there.

Just now, Happy said:

are you saying that if it's made in china it should 'be priced accordingly'? sorry i didnt really catch u there.

Yes.

If it is made in China where production costs are lower, this should be reflected in the price. Looking at the pricing structure as it stands, this does not seem to be the case.

Just now, rantan said:

Yes.

If it is made in China where production costs are lower, this should be reflected in the price. Looking at the pricing structure as it stands, this does not seem to be the case.

ic

not too sure how it is structured in this particular product. but i dont see why things from china should be flat-out cheap as opposed to 'cheap for what it is'. but it might be that in your view this particular product has no value-for-bang merits for a product assembled in China

• Like 1

From what I have read ,the RRP for the amplifier is expected to be $5K+ in USD, which if correct, may mean that it would be$7K+ here.

There are many premium manufacturers selling gear in this price area and I would think very few would be made in China, certainly the likes of Moon ( Canada ) Luxman and Accuphase ( Japan ) to name just several, are not doing so.

Just now, Happy said:

hmmm if that's your basis id say there's still a reasonable chance that this product for what's in it might justify the price. but that's just a guess.

Someone wanting to spend $7K or more on an amplifier is ( probably ) not going to buy a Cambridge, although I would be interested to know if others disagree with this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rantan said:

Someone wanting to spend $7K or more on an amplifier is ( probably ) not going to buy a Cambridge, although I would be interested to know if others disagree with this.

i certainly dont disagree :D

3 hours ago, rantan said:

Yes.

In this case I agree however I guess the proof is in the eating. I really think the Monitor Audio speakers I have would have been far more expensive if they were still manufactured in England as would the Primare equipment.

1 minute ago, crisis said:

I really think the Monitor Audio speakers I have would have been far more expensive if they were still manufactured in England as would the Primare equipment.

Of course they would, I never inferred or stated otherwise.

My point is/was that the Cambridge gear should be less expensive than it is because production costs are lower than Canada ( Moon ) and Luxman/Accuphase ( Japan ). You can buy amplifiers from all 3  of these companies for $7K.

My choice would be one of those and not the Cambridge.

8 minutes ago, rantan said:

Of course they would, I never inferred or stated otherwise.

My point is/was that the Cambridge gear should be less expensive than it is because production costs are lower than Canada ( Moon ) and Luxman/Accuphase ( Japan ). You can buy amplifiers from all 3  of these companies for $7K.

My choice would be one of those and not the Cambridge.

On the surface I agree but I guess you would need to audition them agaisnt each other before you made a final judgment.

Made in in china will be  always tricky. 

There red are some good products  made there and of course some cheap rubbish. 

But instances such as classe shifting production from Canada to China and  then upping their prices is irksome. 

I would be be looking at the merits of edge as a $7000 amp , but the worry will be if it compared to a $7000 amp not made in China, then it will be seen to be lacking.

• 3 months later...

It seems the Edge A Integrated amp has an aussie RRP of $8.5K.

I see Carlton have one listed for $7.5K. 

I don't suppose someone who lives within cooee of Carlton Audio would be willing to head in and have a listen and report back?

Edited by Cafad

46 minutes ago, Cafad said:

I don't suppose someone who lives within cooee of Carlton Audio would be willing to head in and have a listen and report back?

I know Aussie HiFi in Bris stock Cambridge though I haven't been for a while. They're walking distance to me. Might pop my head in and see if they have them in stock

15 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I know Aussie HiFi in Bris stock Cambridge though I haven't been for a while. They're walking distance to me. Might pop my head in and see if they have them in stock

The Edge gear doesn't appear on their website but there is a chance they may have some on display.  Worth a quick walk to check out anyway.

4 hours ago, Cafad said:

And Synergy have a price of $7999 listed.  I guess we can call it $8K then.

On 30/07/2018 at 12:44 PM, rantan said:

But what if they Sound  really good and are the best things since bacon and peanut butter sandwiches ? 

• Like 2

While it is possible that the new Edge gear could indeed be better than peanut butter sandwiches (unlikely, but I guess that could depend on the sandwich)  I find it completely inconceivable that it may actually be better than bacon. 

I mean come on!

• Like 4

On 30/07/2018 at 2:44 PM, rantan said:

I know what I would buy for 7k

• Like 1

I've had a few really long night shifts recently, so I managed to find a little  more Cambridge info.  Not a lot, just a little.

There was a review back in August.

https://www.lowbeats.de/erster-test-vollverstaerker-cambridge-audio-edge-a/

Lots of nice internal pics here, but not much else.

http://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-special-die-cambridge-audio-edge-serie-edge-nq-w-a-auf-der-highend-plus-klangeindruecke-edge-a/

And another.

https://personalaudio.hk/2018/09/17/cambridge-audio-edge-a-review/

All need translating.  

Just reading back through this thread and the 'made in China' discussion and noticed that the pic posted by @Cafad  actually shows that the amp is designed and engineered in the U.K and assembled in China.

Not sure if that makes a difference to some of the views expressed..

4 hours ago, Cafad said:

I've had a few really long night shifts recently, so I managed to find a little  more Cambridge info.  Not a lot, just a little.

There was a review back in August.

https://www.lowbeats.de/erster-test-vollverstaerker-cambridge-audio-edge-a/

Lots of nice internal pics here, but not much else.

http://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-special-die-cambridge-audio-edge-serie-edge-nq-w-a-auf-der-highend-plus-klangeindruecke-edge-a/

All need translating.  

Here is the translated conclusions (thanks Google) from the two German reviews above:

>>1st review:

"In my eyes and ears, the Cambridge Audio Edge A is currently by far the most attractive integrated amplifier for 5,000 euros.

The workmanship, the equipment concept, the sound - all this is well thought out, so valuable, so lovingly implemented, that I can not help but like this amplifier from the bottom of my heart. The Edge A embodies high end, as I wish : tonally plump fabric, which is subtly and classically staged while still being somehow affordable. A big hit!"

Sound : 4.9

Practice : 4.4

Processing : 5

Test result:  4.7 ..... Outstanding!             https://www.lowbeats.de/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/lowbeats-test-vu-meter-ergebnis-4_7.png

*Bodily, very fine and wonderfully musical sound 

*Fully equipped with DAC, Bluetooth and HDMI input 

*Graceful design with perfect workmanship 

*Excellent price / sound relation

>>2nd review:
"The Edge series is the new top line from Cambridge Audio. High design effort, best components and a successful blend of tradition and modernity characterize the components. The prices called for this are, as we find, quite moderate compared to other products."

Not too bad at all, especially the 1st one......?  As a Cambridge Audio owner and fan, I'm very interested.....but until I win lotto, that's where it ends.??

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2