Cambridge Audio 'Edge' hi-end components.

WOW.   That magazine cover.

Neatly summarising the sickness in hifi since ~1950

..... although I honestly can't tell if there is a "sarcasm" there from Stereophile, or not.   I was a musician instead in the 90's, so blissfully ignorant of most hifi oriented things.

Is the high-end still doomed?

Do musicians still fight the music industry?

Is Steely Dan really only 24 years old (again)?

Will the dreaded class-D take over?

Will made in "that place" become the unholy fate of all hi-fi?

Will it all end in a vacuum or in a sandstorm?

Stay tuned for the continuing saga ...

25 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

..... although I honestly can't tell if there is a "sarcasm" there from Stereophile, or not.   I was a musician instead in the 90's, so blissfully ignorant of most hifi oriented things.

Why do I always get the impression that you were Bill Gates or Steve Jobs drinking mates?  ?

• Haha 1

.???? 

I thought the the review seemed reasonable , did I miss something? 
I was hoping it to be hitting far above it's weight especially that they're a bit more expensive for the brand and I think Cambridge offer great value.

By the sounds it's just what you'd expect. £1K PRE, 1K DAC, 1K Streamer. Nothing special. Just a nicer box.

50 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I was hoping it to be hitting far above it's weight especially that they're a bit more expensive for the brand and I think Cambridge offer great value.

By the sounds it's just what you'd expect. £1K PRE, 1K DAC, 1K Streamer. Nothing special. Just a nicer box.

Fair enough, I'm not so keen on these Swiss Army knife components myself. All those expensive digital bits you paid for will be obsolete in a couple of years time. Tho I. Do like some of the modular system floating around like AVM , you pay for the board you want (Dac/phono, etc) and replace them later when/if you want. 

• Like 1

Fair enough, I'm not so keen on these Swiss Army knife components myself. All those expensive digital bits you paid for will be obsolete in a couple of years time. Tho I. Do like some of the modular system floating around like AVM , you pay for the board you want (Dac/phono, etc) and replace them later when/if you want. 
Yeah I guess I was just hoping.

Very understandable though I think a lot of things cover inputs, formats, streaming options enough for me now but yeah the modular design is a great idea.

Anyways I'm sure these are still a great buy and looking forward to seeing them myself.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, michaelw said:

yep.

that older issue is mentioned in the latest editorial.

That 1994 issue had the Krell KSA-300S and the Cary 805.

Knowing now what each of these could drive in the way of speakers, without acting like tone control or going into heavy distortion which one would you own today?? And with what speaker?? As the end game to your hifi.

Me I go the Krell with some Wilson Alexia MkII

Krell tested

8ohm = 365w

4ohm = 670w

2ohm = 1114w

This is done with line voltage of 115v

230v should be even better figures. 

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, georgehifi said:

That 1994 issue had the Krell KSA-300S and the Cary 805.

Knowing now what each of these could drive in the way of speakers, without acting like tone control or going into heavy distortion which one would you own today?? And with what speaker?? As the end game to your hifi.

Me I go the Krell with some Wilson Alexia MkII

Krell tested

8ohm = 365w

4ohm = 670w

2ohm = 1114w

This is done with line voltage of 115v

230v should be even better figures. 

Cheers George

I go the Cary 805 with some Tannoy Kigdom Royal II speakers for some easy late night listening..

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

Reviews and measures well ?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-edge-integrated-amplifier

Whereas reviews well, measures "as expected" 

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cary-audio-cad-805rs-monoblock-power-amplifier-page-2

Edited by cafe67

• 3 months later...