Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Espressophile?

Your teaser photo is not acceptable.
Full nude only please!

IMG_0253.jpg

Much more like it! How are you finding it?

God shots dialled in yet?

Yeah it’s brilliant - I was dreaming of a Slayer but gut talked down into the Evo Giotto. Turns out I went through school with the guy that owns/runs Rocket these days and he lived just up the road. I used to compete in amateur comps in Sydney on these machines so I’m reasonably ok with them. I’m not yet there on the god shots - I think I need another weekend to get properly consistent - the initial dial-in is always tricky I find. Was a fantastic buying experience - took my wife out with me and she was impressed by the knowledge of the team at Espresso works and the mind blowing range. The ECM Synchronica looked the goods and in another moment possibly would have been the one I went for - I’m just trying to keep as compact and simple as possible. I do love the setup now.

I too have the Slayer as my bucket list espresso machine. It's my desktop background now!

For now, I couldn't be happier with the Linea Mini.

DSCF4669.JPG

Although it did fail and have to go back to La Marzocco for a mainboard replacement only weeks after buying it. Since though, it's been smooth sailing.

Really considering the Puqpress M1 now to mate with the Mahlkönig grinder. It's such a perfect match, but not cheap :(

That’s a great looking setup. There was a single group slayer setup for sale here in Perth but they still wanted circa 10k - we wife would have my nuts in the grinder if I spent that !! Clearly she has no idea how much hifi costs

Although Slayers are very sexy with their styling and paddles, just beware apparently their reliability is a bit flakey.

Although Slayers are very sexy with their styling and paddles, just beware apparently their reliability is a bit flakey.

Their new majority shareholders I think are totally focussed on that aspect of them - Gruppo Cimbali. All my favourite baristas use them and love them despite their reliability quirks.

Had no idea the brand had been acquired. Still special order and built to order though.

4 hours ago, A J said:

IMG_0253.jpg

You do know that the right handle is on the wrong side?😁😁

Nice machine. What's your favourite bean?

Haha what handle? The steam is back the front from our previous 3 machines which will take some getting used to. I’ve been getting beans from my local barista in the city Drip House, I think they are roasted by Fiore. I’m still experimenting with local roasters discovering WA has a plethora of great roasters - Still haven’t landed on an absolute favourite.

Yes im an enthusiast 

I use a big oll Lever machine with a Robur grinder 

And I roast my own coffee 

Big points with the WAF - she looks the other way when I need to update HiFi components 

Edited by Full Range

3 minutes ago, Full Range said:

And I roast my own coffee 

Would love to swap you some cash for some of your finest if you're willing.
Love trying new beans/roasts that are not from mainstream sources.

1 minute ago, Marc said:

Would love to swap you some cash for some of your finest if you're willing.
Love trying new beans/roasts that are not from mainstream sources.

Just PM me your preferred address and I will send you a gift 

How very kind of you @Full Range, but as per PM, more than happy to pay for your beans and time.

Cheers. :)

These ones are very promising IMG_1531134651.003735.jpg

I found it so hard to get a range of fresh beans roasted to what I considered the right level that I started roasting my own. I do try beans from local roasters but have found only a very few that match or better mine.

Unfortunately the cafés around here seem to have mostly gone for the 'new wave' of under-roasted, sour beans to make espresso that resembles an extract of wet cardboard.

I agree - it’s 80% of the struggle for an espressophile to arrive at the perfect beans - it’s no easy task. I do admire those that roast their own - something I would like to try but have zero credentials

2 minutes ago, A J said:

I agree - it’s 80% of the struggle for an espressophile to arrive at the perfect beans - it’s no easy task. I do admire those that roast their own - something I would like to try but have zero credentials

I'd like to suggest that if coffee is important to you then roasting is not a difficult learn. I knew NOTHING about it when I started. Thanks to CoffeeSnobs for helping me spend time and money on this.🤣

37 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Unfortunately the cafés around here seem to have mostly gone for the 'new wave' of under-roasted, sour beans to make espresso that resembles an extract of wet cardboard.

Yes quite unfortunate , I tried it for a limited run but found I couldn't drink it.

Though I still don't like anything getting to second crack or even close .

Espressophile here as well.

024d15e8406ce15efbec2dfc161f947a.jpg

4 hours ago, Zammo said:

Espressophile here as well.

024d15e8406ce15efbec2dfc161f947a.jpg

lovely. my lever arrived 2wks ago.

DSC00632.JPG

Crikey - both works of art & engineering - I feel so mainstream now haha

Yes what is with that, ?? 

I roast my own beans too, highly recommend it.

Nice machine @rocl444 

10 hours ago, murrmax said:

Yes what is with that, ?? 

It's complicated.🤣🤣

"New Wave" is trendy.

The standard evaluation process for beans is NOT ESPRESSO and favours very light roasts to enhance the fruit flavours.

Darker roasts trade 'fruit' for 'chocolate' until the chocolate dominates and after that all is burnt😩. What balance you want determines your optimum roast depth--which may vary from bean to bean.  IMO, the best espresso roasts tastes of chocolate fruit cake.

Edited by GregWormald