Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Espressophile?

Espressophile? Is it a word?

Anyway, I sold an older machine I had and a couple of grinders and treated myself to damn good deal on a Mahlkonig K30 Vario AIR.

29745090_10155928795860266_4128837103654013617_o.jpg

Yes, it dwarfs the Giotta Evo2. I have ordered the short (500g) hopper for it but it's on backorder.

Point of the story (great grinder by the way) ... as I was googling forum comments about setup and experiences with this particular grinder I came across one particular chaps post after many experiments he'd done with his rig. It reads as follows:

The house blend was better at 400rpm than it was at 365 rpm since there was a more bi-modal than unimodal extraction that set my espresso to a 18% TDS extraction that works with the higher strength of our chocolately low acidity heavy bodied espresso.. i reset my grind speed for 21% TDS espresso's with a higher yield keeping dose constant so that higher extraction still taste balanced due to a lower strength and that is how we pull our lightly roasted s/o espresso to gain delicate floral and fruity notes"

To which, a reply promptly followed from a fellow coffee enthusiast:

Have we gone too far as a species?

Maybe it's just me but I found that reply hilarious. :)

It did make me stop and think about it though. We're obviously so engrossed in our HiFi passion. Do newbies come to StereoNET, read our reviews and forum discussions and just walk away in disbelief at what we think we can hear and how we describe it?

Are we audiophiles just like the 'espressophile' I quoted above?

Anyway, the Rocket looks out of place now. So I could either have it powdercoated matt black and live on with what has been a fantastic machine. OR... keep saving and replace it with a Linea Mini or GS3 in the near future (in black of course).

Where did you get the Mini-Giotto?:cool:

I "manufactured" a small hopper for my Macap by cutting the bottom off a small, cheap, stainless cocktail shaker. It works a treat and once polished up looks quite blingy.

4 hours ago, Marc said:

It did make me stop and think about it though. We're obviously so engrossed in our HiFi passion. Do newbies come to StereoNET, read our reviews and forum discussions and just walk away in disbelief at what we think we can hear and how we describe it?

Are we audiophiles just like the 'espressophile' I quoted above?

@Marc lol, yes......and it applies to any other "philia" as an abnormal love for a specified thing :lol: on the other hand others don't have to call them selves "philes" to enjoy their hobby, I think "enthusiast" is adequate wording applicable to any hobby ;) 

nice coffee grinder btw. ;)

7 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Where did you get the Mini-Giotto?:cool:

I "manufactured" a small hopper for my Macap by cutting the bottom off a small, cheap, stainless cocktail shaker. It works a treat and once polished up looks quite blingy.

You've got me thinking what else I can use now. :)

I've got some Le Cleac'h horns around here somewhere.

4 hours ago, kukynas said:

@Marc lol, yes......and it applies to any other "philia" as an abnormal love for a specified thing :lol: on the other hand others don't have to call them selves "philes" to enjoy their hobby, I think "enthusiast" is adequate wording applicable to any hobby ;) 

nice coffee grinder btw. ;)

I've always preferred 'enthusiasts'. Even when I refer to StereoNET, its audience etc, I always call us Hi-Fi (or audio) enthusiasts.

In any case, we've all got it bad :)

Guest Sime

I’m an Nespresso/Phile, mock away lol

Nothing wrong with that at all @Sime

I have friends I visit regularly with a Nespresso machine and honestly, it's a massive improvement over Blend 43. We've certainly evolved as coffee consumers.

My first machine was some cheapy grouphead / portafilter jobby that did an entirely reasonable job.

From there I went to Saeco machines, before discovering my true love for coffee via a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky combo.

I even have a pod machine in the cupboard for taking with us on weekend getaways.

Guest Sime

@Marc beleive me, I know it’s fine. I’ve got their top line machine, the Creatista, and have been making coffee with Nespresso since the 90’s. Over the years I’ve had 20 machines, I even owned a Nespresso forum at one stage called capsule addiction, and have over 400 individual pieces of their branded crockery. 

The problem most people have when using pod coffee is getting the proportions correct. Given they are only small pods with 5.5 grams of coffee, people tend to over extract the pods the majority the time. I went to my cousins house and her husband made me a cappuccino with one of their espresso pods and poured over 100ml through it, even when I told him what he was doing wrong, he ignored my advice. Apart from the overextracted pour, they usually put in too much frothed milk also. 

I only use Nespresso’s 170ml cups (I only drink cappuccino) use their Kazaar pod, pour 25ml through it and the rest is frothed milk, in which the Creatista does a great job at, which I manually check the milk temp to 70c. 

The only reason why I said mock me is that most coffee people hate pod coffee, but if the rules are followed properly, you can get good results from it, but sure, I understand it’s never as good as fresh. 

Edited by Sime

I think you nailed it in that most people are expecting too much from a Nespresso and are not working within its intended limitations.

I usually use two shots before adding milk. Which makes sense based on what you've just outlined above.

29 minutes ago, Sime said:

@Marc beleive me, I know it’s fine. I’ve got their top line machine, the Creatista, and have been making coffee with Nespresso since the 90’s. Over the years I’ve had 20 machines, I even owned a Nespresso forum at one stage called capsule addiction, and have over 400 individual pieces of their branded crockery. 

The problem most people have when using pod coffee if getting the proportions correct. Given they are only small pods with 5.5 grams of coffee, people tend to over extract the pods the majority the time. I went to my cousins house and her husband made me a cappuccino with one of their espresso pods and poured over 100ml through it, even when I told him what he was doing wrong, he ignored my advice. Apart from the overextracted pour, they usually put in too much frothed milk also. 

I only use Nespresso’s 170ml cups (I only drink cappuccino) use their Kazaar pod, pour 25ml through it and the rest is frothed milk, in which the Creatista does a great job at, which I manually check the milk temp to 70c. 

The only reason why I said mock me is that most coffee people hate pod coffee, but if the rules are followed properly, you can get good results from it, but sure, I understand it’s never as good as fresh. 

Yes,

ive been taught how to use this by my daughter.....

my son bought me this last Xmas and found exactly what you’re on about!  

Although I have never over extracted the pods, they are used once....

its saftisfactory but nothing like a real grinder.....

And it’s $600.....

0254D460-997F-4FE9-B14E-5EA54BDBF956.jpeg

Marc and Sime, when your travelling overseas and you arrive at your hotel or unit and you spot a nespresso machine or a clone of one your instantly grateful to the travel gods as those little pods whatever their brand whatever the bean are like manna from heaven.

You'll never hear me poo poo a nespresso machine or pods as they've just been a godsend at times

The opposite is of course the satchels of International Roast and you groan and realise that you'll be up early searching a strange city for your coffee hit.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I've always preferred 'enthusiasts'. Even when I refer to StereoNET, its audience etc, I always call us Hi-Fi (or audio) enthusiasts.

In any case, we've all got it bad :)

My daughter rather cruelly refers to all of you and anything to do with SNA and music as Dad's speaker nerd friends and once when Evil dropped me off at her place in Sth Yarra she texted me and said: "No speaker nerds in my flat Dad!"

Coming down to Bleak City in a months time to watch some opera and see the MSO and the  rules are that I'm allowed the last few hours before the flight home to do 'speaker nerd stuff':huh:

Guest Sime

@Luc the only problem with hotels for me, is they usually stock the lower end machines that don’t froth milk properly, but fine if your a short black drinker. 

Guest Sime
23 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Yes,

ive been taught how to use this by my daughter.....

my son bought me this last Xmas and found exactly what you’re on about!  

Although I have never over extracted the pods, they are used once....

its saftisfactory but nothing like a real grinder.....

And it’s $600.....

0254D460-997F-4FE9-B14E-5EA54BDBF956.jpeg

Thats the better of all the lattissima models made, but if you think it’s good, sell it and buy a Creatisita. You won’t regret it. 

image.jpg

True, but I'm fine with just pouring some milk in as it's still streets ahead of a satchels isn't it.

Guest Sime

But hey, I still enjoy Blend43. 

3 hours ago, Sime said:

@Luc the only problem with hotels for me, is they usually stock the lower end machines that don’t froth milk properly, but fine if your a short black drinker. 

What's height got to do with it? :lol:

Seriously though, I very rarely drink coffee with milk these days. It started off as a self preservation thing (you never knew how old the milk was when you visited rellies), but since then Short black, or sometimes long black (if I've had more than I should already) is all I drink.

I’m an Nespresso/Phile, mock away lol

It's a step up from instant coffee but miles away from a good shot from a manual lever machine with a good operator and fresh roasted/ground coffee. 

Sounds like you need to get out and sample an espresso from a cafe with a barista that really knows what they're doing

your life will be irrevocably changed :) 

Nespresso = dishwater to me - I must be an espressophile

Nespresso  I . think 

Edited by murrmax

Guest Sime

@murrmax I’m 46 years old, I’ve had good coffee, I’ve had manual machines. 

I choose to drink Nespresso, believe it or not. 

The fun police will soon be limiting consumption to ethically sourced, vegan, gluten free, low GI tepid water

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-30/starbucks-must-put-cancer-warning-on-california-coffee:-judge/9605014

Then again, I have yet to read a study inconclusively proving that consumption of water isn't harmful.

Edited by DRC

Water toxicity has been well proven--it can even be fatal. It is also becoming more prevalent due to the over-hyping of "drink at least 8 glasses a day and even more if exercising".

I'll stick with coffee, wine and beer. :)

Ran out of my usual Tulips this morning as forgot the dishwasher - used my Norlan whiskey glass - I think I might do this again
769682d77ef90fca79910930a18d2dad.jpg7d1dad334685cb80799ed8f1faddf8fb.jpg

The new rig ... the steam pressure of the Mini is ridiculously fantastic.

DSCF4669.JPG

Hi Marc,

still old school round here!

4BECE62D-19E8-49EF-9C83-C78A8E6D9178.jpeg

Edited by Gieseler Audio

On 08/04/2018 at 1:17 PM, Marc said:

The new rig ... the steam pressure of the Mini is ridiculously fantastic.

Careful with macchiato-sized milks.:lol:

Until I partially blocked the steam holes I was blowing milk all over the kitchen!

Somehow during the weekend I became a Rocket Man !!

96b7b565c79d77fac7462c1bf4780ad2.jpg