Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hensa

The latest Cricket Debacle

Guest Hensa

I wish I was starting this thread to have a laugh at the England collapse against New Zealand, but sadly not.

This is pretty appalling stuff from Australia in South Africa. I expect that heads will roll and so they should:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/cricket/australia/opinion-steve-smith-has-eradicated-publics-trust-in-australian-test-team-and-he-owes-us-badly/news-story/89311ec71f35b68e840f108923eb702a

Edited by Hensa

Regardless of any ICC action, any member of the leadership group who participated in this cannot continue in a leadership role in the Australian Cricket Team.

Dishonesty is not consistent with a leadership role in any organisation.

Guest Hensa
16 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Regardless of any ICC action, any member of the leadership group who participated in this cannot continue in a leadership role in the Australian Cricket Team.

Dishonesty is not consistent with a leadership role in any organisation.

Wholeheartedly agree! Unfortunately, this goes also for Lehmann, who sent 12th man, Handscomb, on to the field to tell Bancroft to hide the article he was using to alter the ball (sandpaper perhaps).

Smith comes out and says it will never happen again but sorry, that’s just not good enough. The captain and coach are directly complicit in cheating and if they don’t get a ban from the ICC, then Australia need to act decisively and make it clear cheating won’t be tolerated.

Edited by Hensa

If it transpires that the coach did that rather than tell them that they had been caught and to stop, then I would agree. We need to know what message was sent.

Guest Hensa
9 minutes ago, Telecine said:

If it transpires that the coach did that rather than tell them that they had been caught and to stop, then I would agree. We need to know what message was sent.

True, Tele. I should have said “if” with respect to Lehmann as we don’t know about his involvement at this point. In any case, if Lehmann wasn’t involved, he should be calling for Smith to step down as captain.

they all know better .even young johnny would not attempt this ,

how did they think they would get away with this with 100 cameras on them, from every angle 

strong and swift action is needed,

send them home in shame

i'd rather loose honestly ,

I would not give them a chance to NOT do it again .

just because Canberra ,do it all the time ,

don't mean its ok 

specially on the field !!

Deeply upsetting this episode - especially letting the most junior and most insecure member of the team carry the can -  bit of an insight into modern cricket culture. 

Smith must resign - but it’s obviously  a conspiracy of most if not the whole group and several heads must roll, including the coach who allows this kind of atmosphere to develop.

Lehmann

Seriously I expected this thread or something like it to appear forty-eight hours ago, when Lehmann bleated that some of the spectators slagging off at the Australian players had gone too far.  This, after Australia has spent 25 years dragging the game down into the mire where verbal abuse and bullying is normal. What do you expect? What goes around comes around: these things have consequences.

Ball tampering? This is what you get from privilege and entitlement. Again, what else do you expect.

I did my cricket equivalent of #deleteFacebook several years back. I'm pleased for my peace of mind - vilification is not sport, no matter how the Australians sugar-coat their behaviour - but am disappointed that it's only getting worse and that the media still pushes the line that these people are Australia's role models. Sadly, I suspect they are right, but not in the way they like to believe, and in line with that arrogance and culture Steve Smith won't stand down.

Guest Hensa

Cricket Australia CEO making a statement at noon. Expect they will make some soft diplomatic statement instead of doing what needs to be done...

Edited by Hensa

I'm sorry to have to say this but,--cheating, stealing and lying are now standard practice--in sport, politics, business, religion, ...

Maybe it used to happen as much and now we're just hearing about it, but I don't think so. It sure is sad though.:(

The Aussies need the I'CC to look at this.

It will be deemed an accident and not deliberate.   Just like the Robada shoulder drop :angel:

23 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Cricket Australia CEO making a statement at noon. Expect they will make some soft diplomatic statement instead of doing what needs to be done...

I hope you are wrong. There is no other option than for Cricket  Australia to stand Smith down immediately.

can someone explain to me what he has actually done ? 

did he put some sticky tape on a ball ?

not really clear from the news article i read, I saw a picture and first though with the bulge in his pocket I thought he had taken a whole spare ball out there or something :D 

anyways whats the sticky tape for exactly and to achieve what ? 

9 minutes ago, :) al said:

can someone explain to me what he has actually done ? 

did he put some sticky tape on a ball ?

not really clear from the news article i read, I saw a picture and first though with the bulge in his pocket I thought he had taken a whole spare ball out there or something :D 

anyways whats the sticky tape for exactly and to achieve what ? 

I think that it is sandpaper with a sticky side that holds it to the hand as he sands one side of the ball to make it very dull.

Edited by rocky500

It’s a disgrace at the moment. Smith needs to go. Warner is a sook, can give it out but can’t take it. He said something about my missus, wah wah wah.

The  Robada incident was nothing, it should not even have been investigated. 

Ball tampering shouldn’t happen all involved should be banned, especially the captain and coach if they New about it.

1. Australian cricketer Cameron Bancroft has been charged with altering the condition of the ball during the third day's play of the third Test against South Africa.

2. Captain Steve Smith has come to his teammate's defense, conceding the plan was hatched by the team's leadership group.

3. The skipper is standing firm despite mounting criticism, arguing he will not stand down over the drama.

Should be interesting.... :popcorn:

Surely they all knew the plan. Smith must take full responsibility & fall on his sword.

2 hours ago, :) al said:

with the bulge in his pocket I thought he had taken a whole spare ball out there or something :D 

Possibly the bulge could of been one of these? :)

f9fc7092-d172-4a4c-8858-e24ec4e0bbb3.jpg

lijadora-orbital-gss-18v-10-bosch_ml.jpg

Edited by rocky500

11 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

I think that it is sandpaper with a sticky side that holds it to the hand as he sands one side of the ball to make it very dull.

thanks rocky that doesnt sound good ! its almost laughable they have decided to do something like this ! complete disgrace ! 

2 minutes ago, aasza said:

1. Australian cricketer Cameron Bancroft has been charged with altering the condition of the ball during the third day's play of the third Test against South Africa.

2. Captain Steve Smith has come to his teammate's defense, conceding the plan was hatched by the team's leadership group.

3. The skipper is standing firm despite mounting criticism, arguing he will not stand down over the drama.

gosh...

if the captain is saying its the teams leadership group that woudl include the leader ie captain i imagine ? 

I would in that car expect the entire "senior leadership group" to resign

cant see how skipper cant be in the poo on this one ! unless he is not in the teams leadership group which would be a tough one i expect to argue ? 

2 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Possibly could be something like these?

f9fc7092-d172-4a4c-8858-e24ec4e0bbb3.jpg

lijadora-orbital-gss-18v-10-bosch_ml.jpg

bloody hell ! might as well have taken another ball out there in the pocket instead

:D

what were they thinking ????  

I hate to say this but I think Steve Smith needs to be banned from the game for something like a year or so. 

Have to send a message to the world that Australia think that this is atrocious and we won't stand for it.

Calls for sacking and the like are a bit harsh.  We do tend to rally the posse quickly. 

Ball tampering in cricket has gone on for a long time, and the penalties have been pretty damn light.  There's a precedence set, so don't expect too much to happen.  Of course in this case there's other parties knowing, but I don't think there's been heavy enough sanctions in the past to justify coming down hard despite these circumstances.

Now if guilty ball tamperers have previously been banned, then I'd be on board...

Guest Hensa

@:) al - it turns out it wasn’t sandpaper. It was sticky tape that player used to pick up dirt from the pitch and then use that to rough the ball up on one side.

Good to see that CA sending someone over there immediately to investigate, although I think they should have asked Smith to stand down in light of his admission that he planned the cheat. The problem is, who else was involved in the planning - presumably Warner and likely Lyon as well. Without knowing that, who could be asked to step in as captain?

Guest Hensa
3 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Calls for sacking and the like are a bit harsh.  We do tend to rally the posse quickly. 

Ball tampering in cricket has gone on for a long time, and the penalties have been pretty damn light.  There's a precedence set, so don't expect too much to happen.  Of course in this case there's other parties knowing, but I don't think there's been heavy enough sanctions in the past to justify coming down hard despite these circumstances.

Now if guilty ball tamperers have previously been banned, then I'd be on board...

The captain of the team has admitted to planning how they could cheat. I don’t care about previous sanctions for captains of other teams - I won’t support a captain who thinks cheating is the right way to lead our cricket team. 

This sort of stuff is a by product of a "Win at all costs" attitude.

If you drum this sort of message into young sportspeople then this is the outcome.

The Essendon Supplements saga is a perfect example. Their official motto was "Whatever it Takes"