Rega Turntables Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, ikhuong said:

Just followed Internet so far on the set up, I found the A lines were not perfectly parallel and have just fixed it now.

1) use alignment paper from my AT turnable to ensure the stylus is at the dot and the walls are parallel with drawn lines

IMG_6040.thumb.JPG.83ef62661c6b4c2f09a1825fbc262788.JPG

IMG_2445.thumb.JPG.4c16823e61e2834f97834ceb2713f852.JPG

2) Ensured the tonearm balanced like photos, then lock it and changed weight to 2.5g

IMG_8015.thumb.JPG.3ec49ab01df96c0d0eb3c4dd7c17d0ba.JPG

3) Ensured the card is levelled 

IMG_3281.thumb.JPG.8cd4dba443ebbd2f083beb4976a3194e.JPGIMG_9863.thumb.JPG.3383ae7e7dffde84bc18ef3f19d78ea0.JPG

Please advise me any missing steps, I am still newbie on this and learning

My loading with Cyrus phono is R= 100 ohms, C=220 pF, Gain=60dB,

I tried 50 ohms for R but it seems 100 ohms sound better in this case.

Thanks for advices,

IMG_4201.JPG

Have you got a shim for the blue? @betty boop can advise what you need for the blue. 2 to 4mm i  think. 

Edited by dwbasement
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Have you got a shim for the blue? @betty boop can advise what you need for the blue. 2 to 4mm i  think. 

yes the cadenza would need same as my jubilee which does have 2 x 2mm to get 4mm all up :) 

Actually the Candeza Blue is really good, after I realigned it and put more hours on it, vocal now sounds so real, a good combo for anyone want extra details and also very quiet verus my stock AT, it is night and day improvement although money talks

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nzcuriousgeorge said:

Following with interest.  Considered a 2nd hand P9 (from Aus) but bought a new P10 (being in NZ).  Interested in cartridge choices for Rega setups.

I’m happy with my P9 but I’m curious about how much better the P10 might be. I know you can’t compare but I’d be interested in your thoughts on the P10.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ikhuong said:

Actually the Candeza Blue is really good, after I realigned it and put more hours on it, vocal now sounds so real, a good combo for anyone want extra details and also very quiet verus my stock AT, it is night and day improvement although money talks

great to hear got there. these ortofon carts are really good :) but yeah at a price as say

3 minutes ago, awayward said:

I’m happy with my P9 but I’m curious about how much better the P10 might be. I know you can’t compare but I’d be interested in your thoughts on the P10.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a good step up, seems to be consistent with each model up with Regas that things only get better :D

but yes certainly thoughts are welcome ...we dont see a lot re the p10 at all :) probably deserves more airplay ...

4 hours ago, nzcuriousgeorge said:

Following with interest.  Considered a 2nd hand P9 (from Aus) but bought a new P10 (being in NZ).  Interested in cartridge choices for Rega setups.

congrats ! and what are running now on the p10 :) is it the stock rega ? or did you go with something else ?  

lol, we should change this thread to P9 and P10 now, as we have P10 owners around. Both are top of the line of Rega (in time sequence)
How much was the P9 rrp back in the release time (aud vs usd was 1:1)? The P10 is quite expensive rrp now in AU (8k)

Edited by ikhuong

On 10/08/2020 at 5:47 PM, ikhuong said:

lol, we should change this thread to P9 and P10 now, as we have P10 owners around. Both are top of the line of Rega (in time sequence)
How much was the P9 rrp back in the release time (aud vs usd was 1:1)? The P10 is quite expensive rrp now in AU (8k)

I think P9 was around USD5000, and around $7.5k in oz almost 10 years ago. 

• Like 2

On 10/08/2020 at 5:47 PM, ikhuong said:

Done :D

why hold back the love :D

• Like 2

I was fortunate to hear a system yesterday which had the new Planar 8 as source.

It was really alive, agile, real and detailed, although initially, I thought it was somewhat too upfront and in your face, but after some time I  realised that the P8 was just giving the music unfettered passage into the room.

After a while I found myself just settled further back  in the chair, with feet tapping and grinning like a lunatic.

The interesting thing for me was that I have never been much of a Rega TT fan and I remain underwhelmed with their less  expensive models, but the Planar 8 is superb.

I have no plans for buying a new TT any time soon, for various reasons, but colour me very impressed and surprised by the "new" Planar 8.

Edit: my apologies for the minor OT, in that I am not an owner of a P9 or P10, but since this is a Rega fans thread, I thought it may be of some interest.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 7

My P10 is still sitting in a box.  It's been about a month or so since purchased.  Previously owned P25 then P7 and now P10.  Had both P25 and P7 for about 10-12 years respectively.  

Had a bit of a brain explosion during NZ's COVID lock down and decided on wholesale changes to system.  

Anyway before anyone vomits into their mouth a little, I bought a P10 but couldn't stretch to Apheta 3 MC cart.  Tried very hard to negotiate a good deal but just couldn't stretch the budget.  Anyway, decided to get an Exact (MM) as a temporary cart before next round of upgrades ie. a SUT and MC cart.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nzcuriousgeorge said:

My P10 is still sitting in a box.  It's been about a month or so since purchased.  Previously owned P25 then P7 and now P10.  Had both P25 and P7 for about 10-12 years respectively.  

Had a bit of a brain explosion during NZ's COVID lock down and decided on wholesale changes to system.  

Anyway before anyone vomits into their mouth a little, I bought a P10 but couldn't stretch to Apheta 3 MC cart.  Tried very hard to negotiate a good deal but just couldn't stretch the budget.  Anyway, decided to get an Exact (MM) as a temporary cart before next round of upgrades ie. a SUT and MC cart.

It is a perfect combo and would be my destiny too if I can own P10

you have a very house now, just need luxurious furniture to match with its bar 

Edited by ikhuong

6 minutes ago, nzcuriousgeorge said:

I think I would leave it in the box also if I was putting an Exact cart on it, at least the Exact will be the best sounding in the world. I’m sure it will be all worth it when you can get an appropriate cart

10 minutes ago, awayward said:

I think I would leave it in the box also if I was putting an Exact cart on it, at least the Exact will be the best sounding in the world. I’m sure it will be all worth it when you can get an appropriate cart

My thinking was to play a long game.

Could have gone P8 with a better cartridge but just wanted the P10 with the ceramic platter and especially RB3000 tonearm.  

Phono stage is MM only hence requirement for SUT to go MC.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, nzcuriousgeorge said:

My thinking was to play a long game.

Could have gone P8 with a better cartridge but just wanted the P10 with the ceramic platter and especially RB3000 tonearm.  

Phono stage is MM only hence requirement for SUT to go MC.  

good move, carts you can always change... got a good basis now from here hence ...