dwbasement

P9 owner thread

Hello, a thread for P9 owner to share their thoughts on matching this classic TT.
I have this for a few years now and love it, no intention to upgrade in any near future.
I am using a Leben RS30EQ phono and a 6AS7 SET, hybrid horn setup, current cart is Ortofon Cadenza Blue.

c30e079be0700c2ae800fab8101ed2d6.jpg

Ok so lets start the discussion. Even after replacing the two white belts mines running fractionally fast according to my KAB Stroboscope. Was watching a Youtube "belt" shootout which also confirmed the white belts made the deck run fractionally fast but the Edwards Audio Little Belter ran spot on. Thoughts?

Little-Belter%20copy.png

I think I’m the newest P9 owner here, picked mine up last Saturday, did an 11 hour road trip to get it, wasn’t going to trust a courier with such a beautiful tt.

I can’t believe how much better the P9 is compared to my modded RP6, using the same cartridge.

Using an Apheta 1 cart, Liberty Audio B2B-1 phono.

yep love my p9 and have quietly gone past its 9th anniversary and looking at 10th this year I think :) time flies when having fun ! looking forward to its 18th anniversary and hopefully 27th one :D 

run mine with an ortofon jubilee and the ortofon/horizon split natural rubber/cork mat and arc ph6 phono which I think all make a beautiful match :) 

file_zpsca99beec.JPG

11577520015_205f0f866f_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, awayward said:

I think I’m the newest P9 owner here, picked mine up last Saturday, did an 11 hour road trip to get it, wasn’t going to trust a courier with such a beautiful tt.

I can’t believe how much better the P9 is compared to my modded RP6, using the same cartridge.

great move on picking up ! yeah hard to trust with such a lovely thing. welcome to our little band of P9 owners :)

like you I couldnt believe the difference moving from p25 to p9 same cart, same phono stage. it was a case of blow me down :D my jaw has dropped ! hehe

7 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Ok so lets start the discussion. Even after replacing the two white belts mines running fractionally fast according to my KAB Stroboscope. Was watching a Youtube "belt" shootout which also confirmed the white belts made the deck run fractionally fast but the Edwards Audio Little Belter ran spot on. Thoughts?

Little-Belter%20copy.png

sounds like something to explore ? is it pricey for a suck and see ? 

1 minute ago, :) al said:

sounds like something to explore ? is it pricey for a suck and see ? 

30 pounds so not a great deal. does anyone know if the power supply has speed adjustment capability?

Perhaps those using a non Rega cart can comment on VTA, and if spacers were used or not, beneficial?

I use 2 Rega spacers but added those from the get go so unfortunately cannot comment on whether it made any difference. Sorry not much help there. 

9 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

30 pounds so not a great deal. does anyone know if the power supply has speed adjustment capability?

only a quick google, but seems types of belt will change effective pulley diameter given fat ones will run higher up in the groove

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/slowing-down-a-rega-p9.123410/

given they weren't made to run on the white belts, likely indeed would need adjustment. there is a quote there from rega posting talking about them setting it up with motor and psu adjustment to make sure within 0.75% speed :)

5 minutes ago, awayward said:

Perhaps those using a non Rega cart can comment on VTA, and if spacers were used or not, beneficial?

yep mine like TBs was setup from the beginning with the spacers to get VTA right for the jubilee am running. its a tall cart so needs it :)

Little-Belter%20copy.png

Hi tubularbells, I haven't got a p9[emoji852]but have got a p25. I am running the little belter on it and it runs a little fast. Consistently at 33.5 rpm. If it affects the music well I can't pick it. I also had a couple of other belts and tested them all and stuck with the little belter. Sorry to jump on the thread with a lesser table but hopefully it gives you some insight.

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

given they weren't made to run on the white belts

Really? I thought the P9 came with white belts as standard. Hmmm learn something new everyday...

Edited by Tubularbells

2 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Really? I thought the P9 came with white belts as standard. Hmmm learn something new everyday...

I think my P9 is about 6 years old and totally original, it has the black belts.

5 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

whites only ever came along down the track ... mine run twin blacks. I was thinking of trying the whites, but perhaps best stick with what I have :)

I also switched to P9 from rp6, I didn't do any mod to the 6 and went straight to p9 knowing that i would be wasting my time on the 6...

Hi tubularbells, I haven't got a p9[emoji852]but have got a p25. I am running the little belter on it and it runs a little fast. Consistently at 33.5 rpm. If it affects the music well I can't pick it. I also had a couple of other belts and tested them all and stuck with the little belter. Sorry to jump on the thread with a lesser table but hopefully it gives you some insight.
Not at all@Sceeta good to know about the little belter, have heard many comments but never tried.
P25 is also a special TT to me btw.

1 minute ago, dwbasement said:

Not at all@Sceeta good to know about the little belter, have heard many comments but never tried.
P25 is also a special TT to me btw.

agree totally p25 something i owned for over a decade. gorgeous table and took a lot from original p9 :)

I use 2 x 2mm spacer with my cadenza and mc30 super II previously. It seems fine, also use 2 spacers with a dyna 20XL2 as well.
@: ) al what do you use since you have the orto cart.

8 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

I use 2 x 2mm spacer with my cadenza and mc30 super II previously. It seems fine, also use 2 spacers with a dyna 20XL2 as well.
@: ) al what do you use since you have the orto cart.

2 x 2mm here too for my jubilee. cadenza/ jubilee all have same body so makes sense we are running the same :) 

40 minutes ago, :) al said:

whites only ever came along down the track ... mine run twin blacks. I was thinking of trying the whites, but perhaps best stick with what I have :)

Damn just blew any chance I had of off loading my white belts then didn't I :lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, :) al said:

yep love my p9 and have quietly gone past its 9th anniversary and looking at 10th this year I think :) time flies when having fun ! looking forward to its 18th anniversary and hopefully 27th one :D 

run mine with an ortofon jubilee and the ortofon/horizon split natural rubber/cork mat and arc ph6 phono which I think all make a beautiful match :) 

file_zpsca99beec.JPG

11577520015_205f0f866f_b.jpg

Did you get your arm rewired? Looking closely at the back of the cartridge the leads don't look like the normal Rega shitehouse ones which often let the side down.

8 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Did you get your arm rewired? Looking closely at the back of the cartridge the leads don't look like the normal Rega shitehouse ones which often let the side down.

hehe no, my tonearm and cabling is all completely stock :)