Yamaha NS2000 or NS1000X Speakers

Crustacean

When they first came in production in the early 80’s very few manufactures were coming up with advances in speaker design as innovative and successful as Yamaha.

The Only other company to venture into the long strand carbon fibre cone was Onkyo which made a similar woofer.

Yamaha’s JA3301 bass response was lower and speed was faster than a comparable paper cone.

Sure the foam surrounds on the JA3301 woofers have failed on most of these but 13” replacement surrounds are available so that isn’t an issue for current repairs.

Yamaha’s brilliant use of vapour deposited beryllium one of the lightest metals in their mids and tweeters was a design success and their accuracy cannot be bettered by todays speakers.

You mentioned JBL, and yes they make quality speakers but their design and materials does date back to 1943, and not much innovation has changed since then.

I do agree a ported 15” JBL ported will push of air and will sound impressive and perhaps thats whats missing in the bass department of the NS2000’s sealed design.

Not everyone will agree with that, of course more bass can be added with the addition of a sub woofer.

I do agree that finding replacement parts such as the mids and tweeters, should one fail with burnt voice coil is going to require patience as most of the spares originate from Japan.

From what I have seen the entry point to the $3000 market for the NS2000’s is  difficult and it is hard to navigate through, because their condition vary wildly in that small market.

You would expect a more expensive pair to be in pristine condition, but buyer beware, audition first.

An overseas purchase is worse as the condition of the drivers remains unseen.You would not know the condition of your drivers until you had occasion to remove them from the cabinets. Corrosion on the drivers from colder climates and swapped parts could be the norm.

I have enjoyed my NS2000’s  since new and they have amply

satisfied me and I would recommend them with out hesitation to any serious music lover.

Edited by Brins
  • Like 2

Guest jakeyb77
31 minutes ago, Brins said:

When they first came in production in the early 80’s very few manufactures were coming up with advances in speaker design as innovative and successful as Yamaha.

The Only other company to venture into the long strand carbon fibre cone was Onkyo which made a similar woofer.

Yamaha’s JA3301 bass response was lower and speed was faster than a comparable paper cone.

Sure the foam surrounds on the JA3301 woofers have failed on most of these but 13” replacement surrounds are available so that isn’t an issue for current repairs.

Yamaha’s brilliant use of vapour deposited beryllium one of the lightest metals in their mids and tweeters was a design success and their accuracy cannot be bettered by todays speakers.

You mentioned JBL, and yes they make quality speakers but their design and materials does date back to 1943, and not much innovation has changed since then.

I do agree a ported 15” JBL ported will push of air and will sound impressive and perhaps thats whats missing in the bass department of the NS2000’s sealed design.

Not everyone will agree with that, of course more bass can be added with the addition of a sub woofer.

I do agree that finding replacement parts such as the mids and tweeters, should one fail with burnt voice coil is going to require patience as most of the spares originate from Japan.

From what I have seen the entry point to the $3000 market for the NS2000’s is  difficult and it is hard to navigate through, because their condition vary wildly in that small market.

You would expect a more expensive pair to be in pristine condition, but buyer beware, audition first.

An overseas purchase is worse as the condition of the drivers remains unseen.You would not know the condition of your drivers until you had occasion to remove them from the cabinets. Corrosion on the drivers from colder climates and swapped parts could be the norm.

I have enjoyed my NS2000’s  since new and they have amply

satisfied me and I would recommend them with out hesitation to any serious music lover.

Too each their own. I gave my opinion on the prices. There is a mint pair for sale for $5500 that no one has bought for months now this proves the point. I too have owned many Yamaha speakers. Still have our original 1000ms from 1978. I also have a cupboard full of replacement drivers and am aware of the issues. 

All I said was that with $5000 or $6000 in your pocket there is a huge array of better options out there. 

True you gave an opinion on prices….and went on to say ‘huge array of better options’ without foundation, you certainly know how to close an argument down with very few words.

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, Brins said:

True you gave an opinion on prices….and went on to say ‘huge array of better options’ without foundation, you certainly know how to close an argument down with very few words.

That’s the problem, you think it’s an argument. I think it’s a discussion. I found the Focal Aria much better. I also found the JBL S4600 much much better. You have a pair that’s great. I’ll say it again. If they were worth $6000 the pair for sale would have sold in the last 6 months but they haven’t. 

Guest Kurt Benson

Oh please, Jake you can't compare JBL speakers and especially the focal aria's to the Yamaha NS-2000's, 

your comments in relation to the Yamaha NS-2000's clearly shows you have never heard a pair. 

Guest jakeyb77
9 minutes ago, Yamaha74 said:

Oh please, Jake you can't compare JBL speakers and especially the focal aria's to the Yamaha NS-2000's, 

your comments in relation to the Yamaha NS-2000's clearly shows you have never heard a pair. 

I have heard and had opportunity to buy. No need to get personal mate. Judging by your recent sale price you asked for and what you actually sold for I would have thought your valuations are more off than most. 

Guest Kurt Benson

Yea sure, you can buy speakers for around $4,000 to $6,000 but they definitely will not sound as good as the Yamaha NS 2000's,

and at this price point you will not get any Beryllium tweeters and definitely no midranges either, you can only get aluminium or titanium tweeters. 

Guest Kurt Benson

Jake you can buy the NS-1000's and NS-1000X's for all under $3,500

but the Yamaha NS-2000's are in a completely different league, there is a reason why people ask for the prices they are asking.

If you think you can find a pair for sale for under $3,000 you are sadly mistaken because you will not find a pair.

Not attacking you Jake, i am just trying to educate you. that's all. 

Guest jakeyb77
7 minutes ago, Yamaha74 said:

Yea sure, you can buy speakers for around $4,000 to $6,000 but they definitely will not sound as good as the Yamaha NS 2000's,

and at this price point you will not get any Beryllium tweeters and definitely no midranges either, you can only get aluminium or titanium tweeters. 

You’re on drugs mate. There were some Focal BE on here the other day with beryllium tweeter for $3000. You need to get out of your Yamaha bubble. 

Guest jakeyb77

All you lot harping on have a vested interest as owners. The facts remain there were pairs available a year ago I saw first hand and was offered for $3000. Sure maybe they are worth $4000 now. The points remains they are vintage, prone to needing repair and expensive parts. And if they were worth more then none of you had answered the $64,000 question of why the pair for $5500 haven’t sold for months. The owners can claim what they like but the market holds the truth. Now go put a record on and have a coke and a smile. 

Guest Kurt Benson

Firstly to make a comment like that saying that someone is on drugs is pathetic and childish, we are all adults here, lets behave like adults.

You are correct Focal do have BE Tweeter, can i ask why they do not have a BE midrange, as the midrange is the voice of the speaker, its the most important part of the speaker, instead they have a midrange W cone, focal make great speakers, but not BE midrange, WHY. 

Guest jakeyb77
3 minutes ago, Yamaha74 said:

Firstly to make a comment like that saying that someone is on drugs is pathetic and childish, we are all adults here, lets behave like adults.

You are correct Focal do have BE Tweeter, can i ask why they do not have a BE midrange, as the midrange is the voice of the speaker, its the most important part of the speaker, instead they have a midrange W cone, focal make great speakers, but not BE midrange, WHY. 

I think we’ll leave it to the on topic WTB as mate. I’ve said my part. 

Guest Kurt Benson

There is a reason why people are after the Yamaha NS-1000m's/ NS-1000x's and NS-2000's, because the technology is 40 years ahead of its time even by today's technology.

These speakers are Legendary for a reason.

Guest jakeyb77
4 minutes ago, Yamaha74 said:

Yea that's fine, Jake, clearly you know you have lost your side of the discussion.

Anti up big fella. Place yours for sale for $6000. Prove me wrong. If they sell I’ll give you a grand cash. Besides you’ll feel better not selling at a loss for a change. 

Guest Kurt Benson

Why would I sell my pair for $6,000 my pair are not in mint condition.

Again $5,000 - 6,000 is for a absolute mint pair.

Guest Kurt Benson

At the end of the day you shy away from the technology that Yamaha put into making the BE tweeters and Midranges domes.

no other manufacturer has done it since, yea they can make a BE tweeter but not a BE midrange.

And I certainly have not made any loss, as you are referring two, as you are unaware of the sale price, only the list price.

Guest Kurt Benson

JBL are great loudspeakers, but I have know a lot of people that have listeened to Yamaha BE speakers (NS-1000m's and NS-2000s) and have changed speakers from JBL to Yamaha, know this is a revelation as they have heard what a Beryllium midrange can do in a speaker System. 

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, Yamaha74 said:

JBL are great loudspeakers, but I have know a lot of people that have listeened to Yamaha BE speakers (NS-1000m's and NS-2000s) and have changed speakers from JBL to Yamaha, know this is a revelation as they have heard what a Beryllium midrange can do in a speaker System. 

You gonna bark all day little doggy? 

Have you read the posts? I still have Yamaha speakers. Anyway you sound like you’re gonna have a stroke. Calm down sunshine. 

JBL have made 4inch Beryllium compression drivers for mid-range application.

TAD have berylium cone mid-range speakers, e.g. Reference One.

From memory Paradigm have a Beryllium mid-range.

Beryllium is certainly utilised in this day and age in mid-range transducers. Albeit in the reference line of most manufacturers well into the 5 figure price point.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yamaha74 said:

At the end of the day you shy away from the technology that Yamaha put into making the BE tweeters and Midranges domes.

no other manufacturer has done it since, yea they can make a BE tweeter but not a BE midrange.

And I certainly have not made any loss, as you are referring two, as you are unaware of the sale price, only the list price.

I'd suggest the main reason beryllium is not being used as much nowadays is that it's nasty stuff that has been known to make people quite dead. The technology is still there, in fact it has been improved (case in point, the NS-5000) but the practicality and ethics are not. I'm not saying the big Yamaha monitors aren't great, because in my opinion they are. Just that there are many ways to get a cat skinned and some of those ways end up with that pesky cat skinned so well you could make the finest of hats from it.

Guest yamaha_man
33 minutes ago, Yamaha74 said:

My TAD’s have BE tweeter and midrange drivers.