Melody Valve Ltd

8pm Wednesday 21st March, visitors welcome.

Willis Room, City of Whitehorse Offices
Maroondah Highway (Whitehorse Road), Nunawading
Melway Map 48 Ref G9

2016 was a landmark year for Melbourne audiophiles, for it was a year when two International Hi Fi Shows came to town. Not only was it a first time for the StereoNet group to organise a very successful show, it was a first for Melody Valve Ltd to exhibit all of their new amplifiers. This month we are very lucky to have Melody present at the club.

Established in Melbourne by the founder and chief designer Mr Allen Wang, the company has grown by investing in their own factory in Shenzhen China. It features a modern assembly line, a transformer production line, a vacuum processing plant and a variety of self-built high-end testing equipment. Their current line of amplifiers consists of eight models.

Melody will be demonstrating two systems from their Everest amplifier range. The equipment will consist of a 28watt Class A Integrated amplifier, and a Pre/ Power combination. The first model the "Everest 845", uses a Western Electric 845 tube per channel, as well as a pair of 300B driver tubes. The second system will be a pair of mono blocks - "PM 845 EVO" -- each running a pair of 845 valves in Class A mode with a combined output of 70 watts each. The "WE2688 Signature Pre", is a real highlight with its implementation of a WE 416 tube; planar triode, used for microwave telephone systems, that looks like a round metal relay.

The two systems will use the same pair of speakers, the Harbeth 40.2. This reference monitor is a 3-way stand mount model that houses a 12" Bass driver with 6.5" Mid and matching 1" Tweeter. Harpeth's top of the range speaker is modified for the domestic audio market with a different bass driver, but still retains the same mid that is used in their studio monitors.

If you haven't experienced Melody's presentations at the past Hi Fi Shows, you will see why they get the award for "Exhibitor who tried the hardest to impress". Sounds like we're in for a sonic spectacular.

Nick Karayanis

Program Co-ordinator

Ken Tripp
Wise and Wonderful Webmaster
Melbourne Audio Club, Inc.

http://www.melbourneaudioclub.org.au

Edited by KenTripp

Damn, double booked with @sonic_purity's OAD night.
You guys are in for a treat!

12 hours ago, KenTripp said:

The two systems will use the same pair of speakers, the Harbeth 40.2. This reference monitor is a 3-way stand mount model that houses a 12" Bass driver with 6.5" Mid and matching 1" Tweeter. Harpeth's top of the range speaker is modified for the domestic audio market with a different bass driver, but still retains the same mid that is used in their studio monitors.

There is no difference in drivers or crossover in any of the harbeth/domestic speakers , the only difference is the studio monitors come in a grey finish and neutrik speakon terminals as standard , 

11 hours ago, dud said:

There is no difference in drivers or crossover in any of the harbeth/domestic speakers , the only difference is the studio monitors come in a grey finish and neutrik speakon terminals as standard , 

Thanks @dud , I'll ask Nick about that tonight.

23 hours ago, Marc said:

Damn, double booked with @sonic_purity's OAD night.
You guys are in for a treat!

OAD as in Open Audio Designs? That was last months presentation. Very nice.

Yes Open Audio Designs, but Sonic Purity has cancelled tonight's event now anyway.

Unfortunately I cannot make the Melody event, but please pass on my regards to Ming and the team.

The Melody with the Harbeth sounds like a treat!  

Anyone else going?

M.

@KenTripp  Umm Ken, can you refresh my memory about the price of the Melody gear? When I was at the show it was wonderfully displayed in the biggest room at the Mercure hotel put aside for that show and the gear was huge and ...mind bogginly expensive. Way way out of reach of your average punter.

Having said that, there is of course an economy of scale in all things audio isn't there and one mans cheap and accessible is another mans unobtania.

*Just to make sure my memory is right: They had those thumping huge JBL's and tube amps the size of lawnmowers and played the most awful music but hidden behind the shite poor music selection was the sheer grunt of these mammoth amps.

At the end of the day though they appear to be exotica for Joe average.

19 hours ago, Luc said:

@KenTripp  Umm Ken, can you refresh my memory about the price of the Melody gear? When I was at the show it was wonderfully displayed in the biggest room at the Mercure hotel put aside for that show and the gear was huge and ...mind bogginly expensive. Way way out of reach of your average punter.

Having said that, there is of course an economy of scale in all things audio isn't there and one mans cheap and accessible is another mans unobtania.

*Just to make sure my memory is right: They had those thumping huge JBL's and tube amps the size of lawnmowers and played the most awful music but hidden behind the shite poor music selection was the sheer grunt of these mammoth amps.

At the end of the day though they appear to be exotica for Joe average.

@Luc No idea of the cost but yeah, no doubt not cheap but perhaps less than last months system that came in at around $80k. A pic for those who can only dream.

_KRT7716.jpg

Edited by KenTripp

The Everest Mono's are over $100K from memory.

Guest yamaha_man

Probably be playing classical music for the whole demonstration.

Last two shows I walked in, looked at the eye candy then left. 

Thete was nothing to gather my interest music wise in that room.

Yeah I so wanted them to crank the piss out of those mighty JBL's but alas both times left somewhat disappointed. That said I'm sure there not marketing to types like me.

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

The Everest Mono's are over $100K from memory.

I hope that's for a pair of them :)

1 minute ago, Tubularbells said:

Yeah I so wanted them to crank the piss out of those mighty JBL's but alas both times left somewhat disappointed. That said I'm sure there not marketing to types like me.

That room, particularly the 2nd year, has the potential to sound phenomenal and mediocre at the same time.

With the advantage of living at the hotel for 5 days I heard it numerous times and what I heard played a big part in me actually buying JBL K2s.

I don't think they're particularly fussed about recording quality and play anything and everything. At home this is what most of us do too. At shows, most exhibitors stick strictly to well recorded material. Sadly those Everests are going to take your head off with poorly recorded music. I had the same problem with the K2s here last night with a mini-GTG with @coffeemachinist - I'm sure he'd agree. But cue up the good stuff, and you are well rewarded.

I'm looking forward to partnering my JBLs with some Melody valve myself, shortly.

Look forward to the FS notice when you eventually move them on then :wub: obviously taking a massive hit under and below what you , err, got them for .

I'll book you in for a fishing trip on the beach when you drive them up here for a visit.