Sign in to follow this  
Tone Malone

Patchy digital TV reception in bad weather

I'm in inner west Sydney and have a roof antenna pointing in "the right direction" (at least according to a phone app and everyome else in the street!). But in bad weather, I can lose some of the 2,7 or 10 network of stations. (Weak/no signal, vision freezes, audio cutouts etc).

What's the best approach to fixing this? Being intermittent, it's not easy to test changes. A new antenna? Do indoor signal booster boxes help?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If this only happens when it's raining, guessing there are some bare wires up there. Maybe the insulation has rotted away.

Can be fixed by applying silicon to the wires to seal out the moisture, or new antenna would also do the job and far higher cost.

Thanks for the tip @deblur. I haven't narrowed it down consistently to when it's raining (from memory it's sometimes just "threatening" weather - heavy cloud and wind etc) and thought it might be more due to that weakening the signal. But I'll check out the wires as one possible cause. The antenna would be 12-15 years old so some maintenance might well be in order.

Any other thoughts from the clan also welcome.

Your off air signal may be weak. Assuming all parts are performing properly, relocation of your antenna would be all that is needed.

You must must establish good signal availability to begin with before questioning anything in the system. This is the basis for any reception issue in any location. It would be pointless changing plugs and leads to get your car running properly, if you were using **** petrol in it wouldn't it?