Sign in to follow this  
Ozcall

And for my next dac.

Hi guys , apologies about being slow on updates but I am still waiting for a replacement power supply and Amanero board before I can give any useful info on performance.

Hi guys , still waiting for the Amanero board but installed the lt3045 regs for the left and right chns and running in as I type.

The recommended 10k-10k transformers have arrived but as my desoldering station is broken I will have to wait till I can afford a new one to replace the stock transformers.

So no tests with pc music as yet but using my CD transport into the dac ,upsampling to DSD 256 the sound is most enjoyable; very smooth will a well extended and weighty bass, mids are gorgeous( no grain) , top end is a bit recessed for my taste particularly when compared to my to my diy dual AK4495 based unit.

Again comparing to the AK based dac pace seems a bit slower , timing excellent on both dacs.

At the moment I would say the AK is more lively and the DSC 1 a bit easier on the ears. The dsc1 still has a ways to go with  before I 'sign-off' on it whereas the AK dac is finished given my abilities and wallet.

Stay tuned for a comparo of both dacs connected to the music server and some thought after longer listening sessions.

As usual a big thank you to Clay for yet more advice?

Edited by Ozcall

Well that's mildly embarrassing : Was playing the new dac again the other night and was still noticing the rolled off top end. Thought to myself "I don't remember it sounding like that when I first built it". Checked the filter settings to find I had inadvertently changed the setting away from my preferred 'Short Sharp '. Once changed back to SS the roll off disappeared and I was rewarded with probably the best sound I have had on my system that I can remember.

In my defence the dac has 'one button to control all', with a combination of long and short presses to set  mode , input selection , up-sampling level and filter. 

So it looks like my initial assessments were correct  and this is a stunningly good sounding option for not a lot of money.

Once the Amanero board arrives I will report back on how the sound is with my diy music server but given the 'grain free' nature of the dac with cd transport I am expecting big things.

I have I think the same Desoldering station as you. I think I actually bought it from your recommendation. :)

If you still need one, you can borrow mine. I am on the 2nd hand piece for it too.

Edited by rocky500

7 hours ago, rocky500 said:

I have I think the same Desoldering station as you. I think I actually bought it from your recommendation. :)

If you still need one, you can borrow mine. I am on the 2nd hand piece for it too.

Cheers Rob , will pm you tomorrow.

Hi Gordon,

well what was the final outcome?

Did the replacement Amanero get the PC input side of things working & how did it sound vs the CD transport input?

I’ve actually ordered some of the Chinese 10k/10k transformers so it will be interesting to see how they compare sound wise to the Jensen’s I use.

7 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Gordon,

well what was the final outcome?

Did the replacement Amanero get the PC input side of things working & how did it sound vs the CD transport input?

I’ve actually ordered some of the Chinese 10k/10k transformers so it will be interesting to see how they compare sound wise to the Jensen’s I use.

Hi Clay , I still haven't gotten round to ordering an Amanero board. I am using a Singxer F1 board still, feeding the spidf input of the AK4137 over a few cm long coax soldered in place. When I was using the Singxer externally with my AK4495 dual dac and ak4118 input board I found that even short lenghts of coax and plugs destroyed the  performance however I got a hard wired male-male rca coupler and the sound quality improved to an acceptable level. I mounted the F1 internally with it's own dedicated low noise psu in the dsc dac and soldered in the short length of coax and got a great result. I would have used the I2s connections but the F1 would need to be set in slave mode when connected to the AK4137 board and there is no firmware available for that. The DSC dac remains my favourite at the moment and has not been out of the main system since I finished the build and mods. I have found a potentially hi-end Amanero clone that is reprogrammable with  other genuine firmwares but keep spending money on other things as the sound I am getting is very satisfying .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897930615.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000010.1.3f0f3108cUSmGR&gps-id=pcDetailLeftTrendProduct&scm=1007.13438.100207.0&scm_id=1007.13438.100207.0&scm-url=1007.13438.100207.0&pvid=178945d4-c880-47e9-b669-053368a996cc

Hey  thanks for the detailed reply Gordon.

The Amanero clone looks really nice.  I’ve been playing around with clocks lately and those Crystek

units perform really well.

I’m even thinking again of making a USB to I2S board based on the Xmos chip.

I been doing some tests with isolators, reclocking, clock buffers etc & feel pretty comfortable with it all now.

Unfortunately it would cost a bit more than the Amanero clone.

I’m sure if you moved away from S/PDIF to I2S you would get a noticeable audio improvement.

The Singxer F1 actually uses a dc to dc converter to run the back end (eg the S/PDIF chip) so not the best.

Anyway I think that the DSC1/2 is an excellent design especially coupled with the AK4137 like you have.

Well done!

Posted (edited)

Yes the CCHD 575 clocks look very good but they don’t have a standby/enable pin like the original Amanero clocks so they are not a drop in replacement.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

and do you need them for some specific application?  

Yes unfortunately other wise I would be upgrading the Amanero clocks to the Crystek CCHD 575 clocks.

In the Genuine Amanero board the two clocks are permanently connected to the 3.3v rail & then the CPLD chip

sends an enable signal to whichever clock is required. This type of clock uses  “try-state” logic so if it connected to power but the enable pin is low the output is high impedance. It is a very handy feature in a dual clock setup as you

can just parallel the clock outputs & just enable the one you want. The CCHD 575 does not have this feature - just 

Vdd, Ground & output - dam shame.

10 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

It is a very handy feature in a dual clock setup as you can just parallel the clock outputs & just enable the one you want. 

ah ok, if that's what you need then understandable, I haven't checked but NDK NZ2520SD might have enable pin but it's pain in the wood to work with such small clocks

Yes the NDK NZ2520SD’s have the enable pin but like you mentioned are extremely small

& difficult to work with. The connection pads on the bottom are recessed from the edge 

so the only way to solder it on a board is with solder paste & a heat gun -carefully!