Sign in to follow this  
Ozcall

And for my next dac.

I am still waiting for the upsampler board to arrive but I decided to make a start on the dac power supplies . The R-cores were custom made for another project (now retired) but are the right voltages for this project after 2 stages of regulation .The big power supply board , in the middle also came from the old project. The smaller power supply on the left drops the voltage down to the required 5v x2 for the left and right chns of the dac and a 3rd 5 v powersupply which is used to power the muting relays comes direct from the big board. A further 5v power supply to feed the SRC  board will also come from the big board via a lt3045 regulator mounted at the power input of the SRC board. I plan to add a further 2 lt3045 regs ,one for each channel of the dac board as fund become available.

29665018_10155093341617434_854953618931576849_o.jpg

Edited by Ozcall

Well!  today was a busy one but I managed to complete the initial build of the new dac :

20180403_164615.jpg

20180403_164623.jpg

20180403_164623.jpg

Pity the cable for the display is too short but a quick trip to Jaycar tomorrow should resolve that issue.

I still have to connect the RCA coax input and the outputs but it all seems to test well and runs cool.

Initially single ended output direct from the transformer will be used but I have 2 different valve based balanced to single ended  converters to try later on.

Edited by Ozcall

Hey guys , the new dac was finished half an hour ago and first impressions suggest it might be a winner.

Going to run it in over night and have a good listen tomorrow.

Stay tuned :)

Well ,yesterday was just down right painful. After listening again to the new dac with upsampled cd I set about flashing the Amanero board and installing the drivers. Win10 allowed the drivers to be installed but the device didn't show up until I manually reinstalled it via the 'add legacy hardware' option in Device manager. So at that point the Anamero was showing up in the sound applet and was set as default, Using Spotify the little level meter in the sound applet was dancing up and down  but there was no sound output from the dac. Jriver would not play nice either and kept saying there was a problem with playback when the Amanero was used as the output device.

Took the dac up to my work room to reflash the Amanero and started to smell that electrical overheating smell and sure enough one of the Lt1083 regs was getting too hot.

Then I ran out of solder , then my desoldering iron started to be have erratically.

I gave up at this point and went and had a few wines.......

This morning I ordered a new psu , slightly different design and in kit form so I don't have to desolder anything. Solder ordered too.

Now to dismantle the desoldering  gun and try and fix it.

BOOOOOOO!

Edited by Ozcall

Excellent project- well done!

With the Amanero I find 1099c firmware a good alrounder.

In JRiver ASIO driver works best for me

Good luck on the desoldering gun repair.

PS love those copper shrouded R-cores.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

23 hours ago, Ozcall said:

Well ,yesterday was just down right painful. After listening again to the new dac with upsampled cd I set about flashing the Amanero board and installing the drivers. Win10 allowed the drivers to be installed but the device didn't show up until I manually reinstalled it via the 'add legacy hardware' option in Device manager. So at that point the Anamero was showing up in the sound applet and was set as default, Using Spotify the little level meter in the sound applet was dancing up and down  but there was no sound output from the dac. Jriver would not play nice either and kept saying there was a problem with playback when the Amanero was used as the output device.

Took the dac up to my work room to reflash the Amanero and started to smell that electrical overheating smell and sure enough one of the Lt1083 regs was getting too hot.

Then I ran out of solder , then my desoldering iron started to be have erratically.

I gave up at this point and went and had a few wines.......

This morning I ordered a new psu , slightly different design and in kit form so I don't have to desolder anything. Solder ordered too.

Now to dismantle the desoldering  gun and try and fix it.

BOOOOOOO!

Yep, sometimes you just call it a day and chill out.

I hope you had some alternatives to listen to something.

Good luck!

Alberto

4 hours ago, betocool said:

Yep, sometimes you just call it a day and chill out.

I hope you had some alternatives to listen to something.

Good luck!

Alberto

Thanks Alberto , thankfully I still have my diy dual 4495 dac and the dac inside the Linn Unidisk SC ( which is also very good).Anyway , more solder ordered, converting the desoldering iron to be just a powered solder sucker and trying to decide which linear psu to by to drop the voltage from 12v to 5. :)

Edited by Ozcall

22 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Excellent project- well done!

With the Amanero I find 1099c firmware a good alrounder.

In JRiver ASIO driver works best for me

Good luck on the desoldering gun repair.

PS love those copper shrouded R-cores.

No idea what happened but I did reply to you Clay and the post was there but now it is gone. Might just pm you anyway. :)

Maybe my in box is full - I will make some space now.

The DSC DAC looks very interesting. I did follow the thread for a while on DIYAUDIO.

With transformer output & using the Amanero for the front end it is a bit similar in concept to my Gross DAC so that gets me interested. I really believe the transformer output works very well so it will be interesting to see what you think of the sound.

What transformers are you using?

You have done a great job on the PSU side too which definitely has a big effect on the sound.

Are those Salas shunt regulators?

The DSC DAC design is a different approach which I love too.

Well good luck with the project & please keep us posted on how it sounds.

Hi Clay , the transformers I am using are just the ones that came fitted though I do have a pair of 10k:10k on the way as recommended by Pavel (designer of the 2.5 and 2.6 gen boards). Strangely he recommends the  Chinese transformers having compared them to Lundahl etc however his boards will accommodate a variety of transformer layouts.

The original designer of the DSC1 and HQ player recommends a high quality psu and there used to be a kit available but I couldn't find it. I wanted to reuse as much as possible of my old transport psu as this was well specced to begin with. The transport psu carries about 50,000uf of capacitance and directly supplies 5 v for the input/ usb and 5v for the relay circuit. I get a regulated 11v out as well and this is regulated down again to 5.5v using an off the shelf lt1083 dual supply giving me an individual power supply for each channel. Finally each chn has an individual LT3045 to regulate down to the 5 v required.

I will order another LT3045 for the input/usb board when funds arrive.

Still trying to sort out the Amanero issue but am beginning to think it may just be a problem with the Asio driver:emot-bang:

Will report of the sound quality once I have had a proper listen with both cd, and pc but it was astonishing for the time I listened.

Hey thanks for the detailed reply & all the info.

I use the LT3045’s as well & they are excellent - just very tricky to solder.

What was the actual problem you were having with the Amanero?

12 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hey thanks for the detailed reply & all the info.

I use the LT3045’s as well & they are excellent - just very tricky to solder.

What was the actual problem you were having with the Amanero?

Hi Clay , have not tried doing any SMD soldering yet so I get my LT3045'S from here : http://www.ldovr.com/product-p/lt3045-a.htm

Have to go out shortly so will answer further later on.

LT3045-A-2T.jpg

SMD soldering is fun to say the least, get your tweezers out and a decent maggie lamp or microscope if possible. :)

Yes the boards from Ldovr.com look really good.

The gap between the pins on the LT3045 is tiny & quite challenging  when hand soldering.

I’m just playing with the reflow oven technique at the moment & it certainly looks promising.

12 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Yes the boards from Ldovr.com look really good.

The gap between the pins on the LT3045 is tiny & quite challenging  when hand soldering.

I’m just playing with the reflow oven technique at the moment & it certainly looks promising.

Thanks Clay.

Question, I note on the diyaudio forum that they appear to supply power to the 3045 board at it's inputs , they remove the first e-cap on the dac board but only appear to connect the +ve output of the board to the +ve terminal of the removed cap. I am assuming that they have connected the ground input of the 3045 board to the dac board at the dac boards gnd terminal and connected the gnd of the dac board to the input gnd of the 3045 board, ie the gnd of the 3045 board doesn't need to be connected at both ends?