Sign in to follow this  
Ozcall

And for my next dac.

Hi guys this is my next project :

Ok , so I know I said my last dac was my last dac but I discovered a rather inexpensive 'recipe' for theoretically very high quality audio.
It is all based on a dac called the DSC which the designer provided the circuit free to the diy community. Those clever Chinese have (legally) followed the design to provide a board with usb input at a very good price.
This dac only works with DSD signals but if you add an upsampling hardware board into the mix you can upsample all your music to DSD and in theory get excellent sound quality.
The dac board costs $200 shipped and that includes an Amanero usb board. No additional output board is necessary as the dac already has transformer based output. The cost of the upsampler board is around $100. I already have all the power transformers from a retired older project and 4 very low noise power supplies cost me under $60.
The upsampler board also adds : BNC , RCA , XLR and optical input so even disc spinners are catered for.
Should have all the parts by the end of the month so fun times ahead.

Amanero-usb-iis-Support-DSD512-384K-32Bit-Free-Shipping.jpg

DSC.jpg

29258114_10155060865737434_2167986080922811312_n.jpg

Edited by Ozcall

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

You must have a fair bit of DAC experience by now :thumb:

Yep , getting there. :)

Have built many dacs from kits/modules the most successful of which have been the TDA1541 with Lampinzator tube output stage and my current Ak4495 dual dac with Singxer F1 on usb.

Cool, Gordon!

My fav' old DAC, and for modern i do like the AKM's.......... I have butchered a few in my time :)

I should talk to you about Lampi' tube output stages at some point :cool:

22 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Oooh, I might have a go at this too  :)

Superb.

Have a look at the thread on DIY audio : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/254935-signalyst-dsc1-70.html#post5377811

loads on info and also the opportunity to buy an upgraded version DSC2.6 but only as a bare pcb at the moment, which requires smd soldering skills.

I have had a chat with 'ppy' who has designed the new boards and he recommends changing  the 600:600 ohm transformers for 10k:10k on the Chinese board. The Chinese DSC1 board can be bought without the 600ohm trafo's for a lower price and the 10k trafos are available on Aliexpress for $45us. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS-10K-10K-permalloy-audio-isolation-transformer-balanced-and-unbalanced-conversion-audio-isolator/32810421236.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Sefg01

If you need other links just let me know.

This looks very interesting. can't wait to hear how it sounds.

26 minutes ago, niss_man said:

This looks very interesting. can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Even my Gales don't go that loud Simon :)

I'm currently in the final stages of this rebuild and modification of a old 90's QED Digit dac. I interfaced a USB to i2s board directly to the dac chip. Split the power supplies and swapped out the opamp. Built a SE to balanced output (this is the only part that needs to be completed). Did a heap of other mods, including bumping up the sampling rate to 48Khz. I'm extremely impressed with performance, puts a lot of my other gear to shame. Great little USB to is2 board, gotta love some of what these Chinese are making, and for the price they do it!!

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Edited by Benjet

I'll be following this with interest. I'm toying with the idea of upsampling a PCM signal in a microcontroller and outputting it as DSD (or so). But too many things in my head and on my hands at the moment.

Cheers,

Alberto

I'll be following this with interest. I'm toying with the idea of upsampling a PCM signal in a microcontroller and outputting it as DSD (or so). But too many things in my head and on my hands at the moment.

Cheers,

Alberto

Interesting thought, what are you trying to achieve with the upsampling?

It's not really upsampling... I guess... The idea is to try to avoid the commercial DAC chip, and just filter the DSD signal with an analog circuit to see how that works and hear how it sounds. First step I have in mind is do a differential class D output from the microcontroller using the digital 24bit PCM samples as reference rather than the analog input. See how that behaves, and then move on to more complex 1 order and 2nd order delta sigma modulators.

In the end the goal is for the micro to output a serial 1-0 bit stream at roughly 6MHz and filter that to recover the audio signal.

Mind you, it all may go down the toilet with discreet components and op-amps. And like I said, I still have to start it...,

Cheers,

Alberto

2 hours ago, betocool said:

It's not really upsampling... I guess... The idea is to try to avoid the commercial DAC chip, and just filter the DSD signal with an analog circuit to see how that works and hear how it sounds. First step I have in mind is do a differential class D output from the microcontroller using the digital 24bit PCM samples as reference rather than the analog input. See how that behaves, and then move on to more complex 1 order and 2nd order delta sigma modulators.

In the end the goal is for the micro to output a serial 1-0 bit stream at roughly 6MHz and filter that to recover the audio signal.

Mind you, it all may go down the toilet with discreet components and op-amps. And like I said, I still have to start it...,

Cheers,

Alberto

That's a different approach, bit out of my league, but I see what you are trying to achieve. Keep us in the loop if you decide to give it a whirl.